• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your taboo opinions about the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morax

King of heroes
The whole point literally was about him not being a Gary Stu, which you agree he isn't. All the other flaws of his character rn are irrelevant because the discussion about him is whether he's a 'Gary Stu', which he freaking isn't. People just love to overuse that term wherever
People generally use the term mary sue to imply that a character is terribly written.

I've seen plenty of people invalidate my opinion because I like Iris and have been called biased numerous of times. Anyway we both finally can agree on something. I'm actually surprised you hold that opinion since initially you were against her being a Champion anyway.
I'm still against her being Champion(in principle of course, writing wise no matter how horrible it is, what's done is done). Neither opinion is in conflict with each other, especially when that bad writing decision of not having her win happened as a consequence of her becoming Champion.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
I'm still against her being Champion(in principle of course, writing wise no matter how horrible it is, what's done is done). Neither opinion is in conflict with each other, especially when that bad writing decision of not having her win happened as a consequence of her becoming Champion.
I doubt she lost because she’s a champion. Wether she was a champion or gym leader like Volkner (who still lost) I don’t think the results would changed. She lost because the writers wanted Ash to win no matter how little sense it made.

GhostWallker98

Let's see here, taboo opinions :
1. Journeys Ash should train to be a fighting-type gym leader.
2. Cynthia does not need to come back. We've seen enough of her in DP and BW. Too bad she is.
3. Ash does not need any more new Pokemon on his team.
4. None of Ash's female traveling companions need to come back. Journeys will screw up all of their returns. Korrina is an exception and speaking of her,
5. Korrina and Bea are the only two females in the show worth my time and energy.

Just putting this here:

10MV is simply put, the definition of a gimmick. It appears out of nowhere and has no explanation to it at all, and it never fails. Ever. It would have worked better if there was a story for it and not just an asspull. It should of have appeared and Ash and Pikachu had to work to master it and have more battles against Tapu Koko, with it failing before ultimately succeeding against Kukui. That would feel more natural than what it is treated as now: an instant win button. This is one of the reasons why I dislike Z moves.

DatsRight

I'm not sure this is a big taboo, but I'm not as extreme counting Pokemon and evolution numbers as vital to trainer growth. It can definitely help, but I think substance is more key. I'm fine with a team of two or three unevolved Pokemon so long as they have fleshed out personalities that help develop their trainer.

In fact a lot of the time, evolved Pokemon tend to be my least favourite in the anime, often because, outside odd exceptions like some of the SM teams, big or evolved Pokemon tend to get the short straw in terms of characterisation and thus are often overshilled as battle bots. It's rather sad seeing a very lovable Pokemon lose all their personality and chemistries after they evolve, just becoming another unexpressive stoic guy.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I'm not sure this is a big taboo, but I'm not as extreme counting Pokemon and evolution numbers as vital to trainer growth. It can definitely help, but I think substance is more key. I'm fine with a team of two or three unevolved Pokemon so long as they have fleshed out personalities that help develop their trainer.

In fact a lot of the time, evolved Pokemon tend to be my least favourite in the anime, often because, outside odd exceptions like some of the SM teams, big or evolved Pokemon tend to get the short straw in terms of characterisation and thus are often overshilled as battle bots. It's rather sad seeing a very lovable Pokemon lose all their personality and chemistries after they evolve, just becoming another unexpressive stoic guy.
This is yet another reason why Cinderace is good.

It has exactly the same personality as Scorbunny

Isn't that right @Ace-Barn @Spider-Phoenix

Sham

The Guardian of War
The only reason why Sun and Moon had good character interactions between Pokémon was because everyone who wasn’t Ash had so little Pokémon of course they had the space to form more interactions between them. Nobody had more than three Pokémon and that was only Kiawe. So naturally it’s easier to develop interactions and bonds between the main Pokémon when each character only has about two. The “great” character interactions between the cast Pokémon was at the expense of them not having anywhere close to a full team.

DatsRight

The only reason why Sun and Moon had good character interactions between Pokémon was because everyone who wasn’t Ash had so little Pokémon of course they had the space to form more interactions between them. Nobody had more than three Pokémon and that was only Kiawe. So naturally it’s easier to develop interactions and bonds between the main Pokémon when each character only has about two. The “great” character interactions between the cast Pokémon was at the expense of them not having anywhere close to a full team.
That is true but considering SM had twice the amount of trainers, that really meant the Pokemon total was no smaller than previous series where there were only three or four trainers. BW and XY's Pokemon total if anything is less, just shared between less trainers.

Also my previous issue was that many series had decent interactions to start off with but then dwindled down as the cast evolved or developed. XY was a good example of this, with a very close unit of quirky Pokemon at first that slowly became out of focus as they evolved (eg. Eevee, who pretty much never interacted with Bunnelby or even demonstrated much of a personality often after evolving into Sylveon), while SM maintained or even continued developing interactions with bigger or evolved Pokemon. It's easy to think Pokemon like Lycanroc and Turtonator would have just shifted into being satellite characters for their trainers if getting anything at all, but they kept appearing within the unit. I think the only exceptions were Charizard and Primarina, who admittedly didn't have a huge amount of personality to begin with.

It also helps that I didn't really feel a segregation between 'serious' and 'comical' Pokemon in SM which I feel often hinders development. By the time of XYZ for example we had a clear hierarchy of suave badasses like Greninja and bungling nobodies like Chespin who only took part in one particular field, while SM Pokemon tended to get the best of both worlds, Pokemon that were whimsical and took part in lots of interactions but were still allowed to be competent and effective to character development.

(I don't mean to continue the XY vs SM debate by the way, just XY tended to follow the extremity of what I'm trying to explain. Previous series had this problem as well obviously, but to more varying degrees. Heck, the fact XY had it more clear and obvious might be the reason SM tried to avoid it in the first place.)

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I mean that argument gets negated when you consider the number of characters, so it really is the same as before, just better character interaction

We need to have another episode like JN032 with no Ash and Pikachu at all. Please. Please let that be JN087.

Ash is so immature in SM and JN. He went backwards from XY and OS in personality but forward in terms of strength.

Ash’s SotJ Artstyle>>>>>>>> JN Artstyle

Status
Not open for further replies.