• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your thoughts on Dawn character

Nebbygetinthebag

What do you think of Dawn as a character? what thing did you enjoy and think executed well for her character and what flaw did her character have? I'm going to post mine later so share your thoughts.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The best handled female lead, besides Lillie so far imo. Giving her co-author status did wonders for the show and I found her development more realistic.

Nebbygetinthebag

The best handled female lead, besides Lillie so far imo. Giving her co-author status did wonders for the show and I found her development more realistic.
Dawn is also my favorite poke girl besides Lillie so far IMO. Dawn is a great character her interaction with Ash is nice, her development is good and her Pokemon are pretty cool expect piplup of course though piplup is quite useful in battle. My only problem with Dawn is her rival expect Zoey they don't get that much screentime and there were not interesting. Overall Dawn is the best.

Last edited:

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I liked Dawn a lot as well. I liked her co-star status on the show. A lot of her contests were thrilling to watch and I liked most of her contest appeals. I also liked her rivalry/friendship with Zoey. Zoey was such a great sport.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Despite be the co-protagonist, Dawn pretty stole the show in DP. That's not exactly bad, but I keep scratching my head on how many of Ash's ideas to win battles (spin dodge, ice aqua jet and counter shield) came from things that Dawn tried. His only original idea (the "swallow attack power up") became Dawn's special in contests. I would like more if they did create their own strategies/combos and actually keep using themselves.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Despite be the co-protagonist, Dawn pretty stole the show in DP. That's not exactly bad, but I keep scratching my head on how many of Ash's ideas to win battles (spin dodge, ice aqua jet and counter shield) came from things that Dawn tried. His only original idea (the "swallow attack power up") became Dawn's special in contests. I would like more if they did create their own strategies/combos and actually keep using themselves.

I actually kinda liked it this way, though maybe that's the shipper in me talking. It makes me feel like they compliment each other :p

Marianna

I LOVED her. Fave Pokegirl so far. Her character arc through contests was handled pretty well, I enjoyed the overconfident/cocky rookie getting put in her place and improving. I just hate the face that the status quo made it so that Dawn would never win.

I loved her Pokemon but wish she kept Ambipom. My fave all time monkey based Pokemon! But I hated her main rival Zoey. It felt like they focused more on Ursula after a while. I honestly wish Ursula was her main rival instead. Then it wouldn't have been overshadowed by Paul/Ash rivalry.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
My favourite Pokegirl so far in the whole series. She was actually handled as a co-protagonist. Her character's arcs were handled greatly and her inner struggles and her breakdown during her two consecutive defeats in the contest's first rounds felt realistic as well. I also loved her chemistry with Ash and the way they supported each other during crucial times and how they shared their ideas and improvised new techniques together.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
My second favourite pokegirl after Serena. She was the first female companion who I really cared for and wanted her to succeed. Her innovative training styles were very fun to watch, and it even benefited ash for his battles, such as the counter shield and ice aqua jet. Her challenges were shown well, especially when she suffered a slump and was depressed. She picked herself up and did better, and it was a great character arc for her. She also supported ash very well, and her cheerleader moments were a nice touch. And lastly, she and Ash felt like they were great friends who always looked out for each other.

Nebbygetinthebag

My second favourite pokegirl after Serena. She was the first female companion who I really cared for and wanted her to succeed. Her innovative training styles were very fun to watch, and it even benefited ash for his battles, such as the counter shield and ice aqua jet. Her challenges were shown well, especially when she suffered a slump and was depressed. She picked herself up and did better, and it was a great character arc for her. She also supported ash very well, and her cheerleader moments were a nice touch. And lastly, she and Ash felt like they were great friends who always looked out for each other.
I also like that part where dawn supported Ash very well and the cheerleding moment was nice and their friendship are good.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Great female character that was actually treated with respect by the writer, had an amazing development arc and a fun team of Pokemon.

She also battled....A LOT.

They only thing I didn't really like about Dawn's storyline is that some of her rivals were lackluster and not very impressive. I also hate that she didn't win against Zoey in the Grand Festival when she very much should have, in my opinion.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
The best female character, and actually the best character in the series in my opinion.

We got to see her whole journey, from her getting her first pokemon to her doing amazing in her first Grand Festival.
The fact that she got co-star status was an excellent decision, it helped flesh her out a lot.
There are so many things I like about Dawn, she like Misty and May, felt like real girls, but Dawn actually fitted into the girly girl status, which was a long time coming, Misty was a tomboy, and May was less of a tom boy and more of a girly girl, but yet even her contest appeals and battles felt tomboyish. It was nice to see a girl who liked all things pink and pretty, and sparkly and this showed throughout her appeals and battles, I preferred it that Dawn won most of her contests too on the points system, rather than a knock out, as it showed off her skills as a performer.

Each of her pokemon had personalities, Piplup was overconfident and cocky, also the jealous type, but extremely proud, Buneary was like that clingy girlfriend you've had, Pachirisu was like a hyperactive child, Mamoswine was grumpy and arrogant, Cyndaquil was competitive and had a rivalry with Piplup, Togekiss acted liked a mother to them, and Ambipom was a bit of a show off. This was nice that all of them had a personality as not all of the casts pokemon do have their own personalities (in fact I think its something that DP handled well was each pokemon had their own personality).

Moving back to Dawn, she had some brilliant interactions, most notably with Ash, and Zoey, it was so nice that Ash took on a mentor role like he did with May, yet Ash still felt like Dawn's equal, she brought so many ideas to the table, like the spin technique, the counter-shield are some examples, and this helped Ash who took them and developed them into his own, but also she was able to learn from him too, like the eating your attack to gain power technique which helped in contests, Ash felt like a best friend to Dawn, and Dawn felt like a best friend to Ash, its my favourite friendship in the entire series and I have yet to see it beaten, because it was so nice to see someone who didn't live in Ash's shadow, but as his equal. But it wasn't just Ash and Dawn, it was some of their pokemon too, Pikachu and Piplup (still to this day) have the best pokemon chemistry and friendship, because like their trainers, they were equals, it wasn't Pikachu looking out for the other pokemon like Togepi, Axew, Dedenne and now Togedemaru, it was them both looking out for each other, plus Buneary and Pikachu had plenty of interactions, even an episode or 2 dedicated to it.
The other great interactions she had were with Zoey, Zoey was definitely Dawn's biggest mentor (Ash and Brock being the other ones) and their battles were some of the greatest in the series, their student and mentor relationship was nice to see build up throughout the series, and actually it made a nice different change to see the student not overcoming the mentor (I still would like to have seen Dawn crowned champion of Grand Festival).
Dawn also had great interactions with Brock (I apparently am the only one who sees that though), Team Rocket, Gary and Paul (both of Ash's top rivals).

But what makes Dawn the best for me, is her journey from beginner, who wanted to be like her Mother, and had to live in her shadow, who developed a lot throughout the series, it felt so so fresh to see a trainer who struggled, Ash struggles now and again, May seemed to breeze through her contest run (which made them quite boring, you knew she'd win if it was anyone other than Drew), but with Dawn, she lost her first contest (like May) which made sense, then things looked up when she won her next, but then she went on a losing streak. And she came close to giving up, but stuck it out because of the help of her friends, she went then to succeed, she still had a few losses, but she had learnt from her earlier losses how to deal with it. We saw her and Ash train, in many different scenarios, which made it all the more worth it when she did win, because we were made to feel like she earned it. It was great, my stand out moment of the entire series, is the moment she has, having being beat by Zoey in the Grand Festival and seeing her mother, the moment when she talks about her journey and how her mum tells her that she's proud of what she's achieved, then we see her give back her mother the ribbon she gave her when she first started as a good luck charm, because she no longer needed it, she had her own ribbons, and her own friends and pokemon to help her now and she didn't need a good luck charm anymore. The music, the words exchanged, it just makes the scene really special, we've seen her on this journey, we've been there when she was had her lowest, but we saw her during her highs, and still to this day, 7 years later, seeing that scene still bring a tear to my eye. It was an exceptional moment, it was a small scene, but it speaks a thousand words.

Dawn's journey for me felt personal, because during that same time, when she was succeeding, I was succeeding in school, but when she was losing, I was struggling with school, bullying, exams, confidence, but then also pulling through like she did, and that's probably the main reason why Dawn was so special to me, was because of that.

Dawn will always be my favourite character because of her journey, and I'm glad she made her mark in the series, as co-star.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Best. Female. Ever.
They handled her team very well and they definitely improved on how contests were handled. Her rivals were a major downgrade compared to Drew and Harley, but they were still good. And they managed to do a disobedient arc again without it being stale.
Just like Paul, no character will EVER be as good as she was.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
Great female character that was actually treated with respect by the writer, had an amazing development arc and a fun team of Pokemon.

She also battled....A LOT.

They only thing I didn't really like about Dawn's storyline is that some of her rivals were lackluster and not very impressive. I also hate that she didn't win against Zoey in the Grand Festival when she very much should have, in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. My main gripe was her rivalries as well other than that she is my favorite female character with May and Iris following behind her.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
She's so far the best character in terms of development, even if she had a set goal from the beginning that really didn't deviated .

She learned to fight her own battles, overcome hard times, improve her skills at contests, had an amazing chemistry with Ash , was basically the deutaragonist and received as much focus as Ash, and we even saw her develop into a character that could have a quest of her own without Ash

DP will always be my favorite season because it took 2 character archetypes (Female companion and region rival)and made them work in ways that no series got to replicate properly later so far.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
She was a total bro and a nice co-star.

Shame that the climax of her arc got in the way of Ash team when it needed wins the most.

She was still fun, I just hate the everstone on Piplup though.

DatsRight

While rivalries were a bit underdeveloped, I liked they focused on her trials with actual competition and substance in tactics. They damn well made sure she didn't look plot armoured like some complained about May, she performed poorly at times and paid for it, even suffering a losing streak. She HAD to get better and more elaborate, and demonstrate it on stage. They even bothered to have Jessie a good opponent this time so she wouldn't steal Dawn's underdog focus. They wanted the audience to root for Dawn.

I actually like the idea of them taking ideas from experience with others, it helps them bounce off each other more, even if Ash maybe supplied less for Dawn than vice versa (though Dawn was the rookie to compensate).

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Dawn was great in terms of her screentime cuz she was given so many chances to develop and she used them all. In fact she was handled so well that I really wonder why she never managed to defeat Zoey. ^^;