• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your thoughts on online dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayZz

Online dating is a very sophisticated form of blind dating 'coz sometimes a person who seems interesting while exchanging messages turns out to be a completely different person in real life. I don't see anything wrong with that. Personally I registered on 5 sites to meet real chicago women with similar interests some time ago and I've met so many pretty girls that I went on a coffee dates every weekends. That's entertaining.

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I hope I'm not the only one on the edge of my seat, wondering, "Are these adbots going to do it here?"

To reply to the vacuous thread prompt: no, because I don't wanna be catfished.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
In my opinion and experience online or long distance relationships rarely (if ever) work out. If you and your partner met in person first and then started a long distance thing after one of you moves, it cooooouuuuld work out but if you start the relationship online its practically doomed from the start.

The real issue is a lack of intimacy and some sort of social anxiety which seems to be pretty common amongst the sort of people who do the online thing. It's hard enough dating someone who lives half an hour away with arranging schedules, let alone someone who lives hours or even days away.

Zora

perpetually tired
I met my boyfriend online like 10+ years ago (not on dating website) and we started dating like... almost six years ago? Once I finish my degree I'll be heading out east where he lives but it's certainly worked for us. It's not for everyone though.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
I think it could be a good way for one with social struggles to get out there and potentially find a partner or at least help with social skills around the opposite sex, not that it helps me personally as I’m too wrapped up in anxiety around women to even try, but if I were less of a freak it’d be a nice entryway to figuring out certain skills.

Never tried it out since I can't really just fall for someone I basically don't know.
I actually met my girlfriend at work, which is super cliché but it's been working out really well for over a year now.

There's some people I know who met their bf/gf online, but as far as I've heard, those success stories are a bit of a minority. It might be handy for people who have quite busy lives/don't go out much/are in a bit of a drag and aren't really meeting new people. Or if you're just looking for a one-night thing.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I haven’t tried it yet mostly because people aren’t who they really are in the internet and someone could easily put a picture of a model as their profile picture.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I feel like online dating is a lazy way of meeting people.If someone really wants to meet someone they just need to get out there more.Thats what I did and it worked.

MotostokeOnTrent

PokéJungle writer
I feel like online dating is a lazy way of meeting people.If someone really wants to meet someone they just need to get out there more.Thats what I did and it worked.

That's unfair - there's a thousand and one reasons, relating to location and personal circumstances, why simply 'getting out there' isn't an option for many people.

What I'd say is that online dating isn't a replacement for the qualities needed to be attractive in the first instance (especially for men). A lack of confidence or wit isn't magically improved by a computer screen, it'll infect your profile and every message you write. The people good at online dating are the people already good at... well, dating.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
That's unfair - there's a thousand and one reasons, relating to location and personal circumstances, why simply 'getting out there' isn't an option for many people.

What I'd say is that online dating isn't a replacement for the qualities needed to be attractive in the first instance (especially for men). A lack of confidence or wit isn't magically improved by a computer screen, it'll infect your profile and every message you write. The people good at online dating are the people already good at... well, dating.
Fair point I guess some people can’t “get out there”

Status
Not open for further replies.