• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your thoughts on Serena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Honestly, Serena is a great character. I don't have anything negative to say about her. She has a good personality, and she cares for her Pokemon. Whenever Ash was down in the dumps Serena would bring his spirits back up. Ash did the same for her whenever she was feeling down. There interactions are always golden.

At the begging of the series she was the most aimless character with no goals, and then we watched her character develop.

She definitely stacks up with Misty, May and Dawn. Well, that's what I think anyways.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
but her crush on Satoshi has been interesting because it's made her the most human character of the bunch to me.

She's the most flawed character in the X&Y cast when it comes to controlling her emotions I think given how she has often let her feelings for Ash cause her jealousy hee hee. I like that about her tho cuz it makes her more relatable and real to me.

Alzatia

My only issue with her is the shipping. It just comes off as shallow to me and limiting of her character. Aside from that, her story with her mom was done great and how she is a slow paced individual is nice too.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Here's a new thought I have on Serena! She's a character who no longer has any real chance with Ash and will go on to be the next Kalos Queen! :D

Alola Queen my arse.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Here's a new thought I have on Serena! She's a character who no longer has any real chance with Ash and will go on to be the next Kalos Queen! :D

Alola Queen my arse.

Horray! I completely agree. She needs to follow her own path.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Haven made a better Ash voice than Sarah.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
Not a bad character. Just needs more alone time with her competitions and Ash to make her a character worth caring.
Lots of people like this ship though even the director once put in #SatoSera on his twitter with pictures of them together. I like it as well and it's the first time that I'll approve of a Pokemon shipping.

However, I doubt she'll be in the Alola region and even if the does get in she'll need something to compete against or just straight out be Ash's supporter.
I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't upset about her not going to Alola after all the hints and teasing the writers did to show her liking Ash.

nandermind

im not trusting gamefreak anymore untill they made ash win, even ash made serena pregnant i'm still wont believe it anymore

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Serena doesn't need Ash in the first place. She's her own person and strives for a career she's really good at. I find it baffling on how some people want/think Amourshipping is canon just because one person shows romantic interest in the other. It's completely invalidating Ash's platonic feelings towards her and I'd rather Serena open her eyes out of the 'Ash glorification' lenses and start thinking about her own future.

She's a person, she isn't defined by some silly crush. I would lose so much respect for her if she did go to Alola. I mean really, at least have some dignity! Following a boy is nice at first and it was a great start for her. Finding Ash gave her at least a purpose and she did it without hesitation just to get out of the house and away from her mom. But this was before she found her passion in life, it wouldn't make sense for her to follow Ash to Alola just for the TRU WUB!! It isn't true love nor cute if it's sending her character to detrimental levels. And I'm sure Ash would want her to follow her dreams than for him seeing her only as a good friend. If he isn't showing anything that'll be beyond friendship, he sure as hell isn't going to anything soon and if he did, it'll be completely OOC and a last minute tease for fans of the shipping.

greninjamaster

Alola Queen my arse.

Yep totally agree. She needs to follow her dream.

It's completely invalidating Ash's platonic feelings towards her and I'd rather Serena open her eyes out of the 'Ash glorification' lenses and start thinking about her own future.

This is kind of like what I said to you in our PM chat. Many Amourshippers completely disregard Ash's severe lack of romantic feelings towards Serena and just focus on her crush on him and somehow think that Ash is now required to be with her. It would be a different story if Ash showed any remote interest in Serena. Like blushing or showing jealousy to people that hit on her. Tierno did it and he was unfazed for example. But nothing has happened and it's been three years. Ash has just as much a say in what HE does or whom he wants to be with.

Last edited:

sandtreamftw

On and Off Trainer
A potentially good character who was ruined by shipping.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
I can see her trying to persuade Ash to allow her to go with him. Ash will tell her to follow her own dream. Serena will then proceed and go cry in a corner, then realizing that Ash is right, she needs to become an independent character and stand on her own two feet.

greninjamaster

I can see her trying to persuade Ash to allow her to go with him. Ash will tell her to follow her own dream. Serena will then proceed and go cry in a corner, then realizing that Ash is right, she needs to become an independent character and stand on her own two feet.

Yep basically, Ash wouldn't let her give up on her dream of becoming Kalos Queen.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

I feel that she'll kill amourshipping decide what she'll do herself without help from Ash or anyone else and that'll be to train under Palermo so that she can become Kalos Queen.

Sprinter1988

My main problem with Serena is that during the Diamond and Pearl series, it felt like both Ash and Dawn were the main characters - yes, we always have the main group, but Ash is always the main character within the group. Whether it was the anime or the movies, I felt like Dawn's story was equally as important to the saga as Ash's story. I just don't get that same feeling with Serena.

Status
Not open for further replies.