1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What are your thoughts on Serena?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by mindado, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eh, she's alright. She didn't really stood out to my interest much (like May and Dawn really got my attention back then. Maybe I grew out of it?)

Still, congratulations that she kissed Ash that made many fans crazy

2. snorlax512

snorlax512 Well-Known Member

I might be wrong because I don't remember the performances exactly, but I always thought Jessie varied her performances more than Serena. Of course her development will be offscreen, she is not a main character

3. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

well yeah I didnt mean the performances which are totally subjective but focus/growth outside showcases

4. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

The fact they were trying to give Serena more growth and limelight as the protagonist of the showcases and still made her less rootable than most of her opponents only exacerbates the situation. No matter how much they tried to imply she was growing and improving her team and working hard to succeed, it all came short because of the bad execution of her role, she was the privileged winner everyone was the underdog to. She never really had to try hard or alter her strategy because everyone liked her from the very start. She was nice and all, but not really a character you could root for, thus not really a enticing protagonist.

5. mystic9899

mystic9899 Pokemon fan

i don't get why people are comparing jessie's development with serena. jessie is gonna be in every series, serena isn't. obviously they would try to put more focus on serena's development than jessie's. although it was poorly executed imo.

6. DatsRight

It's only more insulting if her spotlight is considered inferior to the regular comic relief.

Though in fairness most of the fans that aren't sick of Team Rocket are rooting for them against the twerps regularly. People root for losers over winners, and the twerps were rather over blessed winners this series (at least until their final opposition as usual).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  7. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Red-headed Lily

Jessie was there just to leech of Serena and to waste screentime. That's usually what Team Rocket does best anyways...

8. DatsRight

If there's one recurring problem with Jessie always being in the girl's performance quest, it's that she tends to steal sympathy by being their underdog. She tries just as hard, but is usually treated like a joke and doomed to come in second to the girl at best. Sure, they try to make her enough of a jerk or cheat odd times, but even when she plays fair she can never surpass them, even after so many regions of trying. It's 'Wile E Coyote' syndrome. You pity the over the top downtrodden character, even if they're technically the bad guy, so the protagonist girl struggles to compete for sympathy while she's thrashing them.

Dawn's arc was perhaps the only one that handled it well by having Dawn on a losing streak while Jessie was finally starting to succeed (and being rather smug about it), thus that brief situation where you were reminded you were meant to sympathise with Dawn's journey more and she was shown HAVING to work and improve harder than the other girls rather than it just being implied she MIGHT lose.

9. snorlax512

snorlax512 Well-Known Member

Personality wise yea, I think she had to most character development out of all the pokegirls

10. Daniel31

Daniel31 HopingGaryReturns

That's why it was poetic justice in the 3rd Tripokalon when Eevee ran off and took screen time away from Jessie's performance. :D

11. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster KungFu Zen Mode

Some things are hard to explain and this time it's called 'Talent' xD. Only people with talent can really win anything without the hardest work. Although, I know this infamous statement: 'Hard work beats talent, if talent doesn't work.' Well, maybe Serena didn't work that much 'or maybe offscreen?) her rivals didn't work aswell (or that's not shown either) so this might be the explanation why she always wins. I actually have no other explanation why she always wins if it isn't about talent.

Or maybe the writers noticed nobody actually cared about the performances, contests and just wanted to make the least amount of episodes as possible so the fans won't get bored.

12. mystic9899

mystic9899 Pokemon fan

nah, i think that title goes to may (dawn is still my favorite). just my opinion though, we can agree to disagree.

13. DankOverlord

DankOverlord Komodo Dragons Rule!

The writer obviously wnted her to be Shipping fanservice and ave her a half-assed goal so that she will have something else to do other than curshing on Ash, bu then again they couldn't even handle it right and it turned dull repetitive
    And I prefer to believe that teh writers simply can't write good rivals anymore that's why they were all more sympathetic and rootable than Serena

14. KungFuMaster

Man you really hate here huh? Can you give me a reason how to hate someone who has a hard-to-hate character? :p

15. flashtone

flashtone Active Member

Pretty much
    not to mention Jessie seems to constantly delude herself into thinking she's better than the Pokegirl in each different region in the anime...
    so annoying and tiresome

16. Telepek

Telepek Member

I would agree with this, if it was said after Hoenn Saga, because during that time that statement would really fit her. We had a potential redemption arc, the "girl gone bad", the girl "who lost her way", that starts from a underdog position and proves to people that she's capable of achieving something.

However all that potential was lost, after they did a bold and mindless copy-pasta in Sinnon and Kalos as well [Not sure about Unova, never actually watched it]. They really had no idea for her, so she just... existed for the sake of existing. She is treated as a joke by people, because let's face it - she was a joke. She was a caricature of herself and a really boring one, after you realize that there wasn't any significant change to her character later on.

I would compare Jessie's presence in "girl's performance quest" [nicely put it, btw.] to Team Rocket's overall presence in the show - boring, overused and feels like it's really forced on people. She doesn't evolve, she's predictable. You can easilly predict her behaviour - you know that if she cheats, she'll get caught, if she looses, she'll make a big scene. During Kalos, she literally felt like one of the background girls that are already written off as losers - you know her story from the first moment you see her, and you aren't bothered by it at all.

I would actually rather say, that her presence actually harmed Serena's and Dawn's development time. If the writers would decide that Jessie's presence in contests/showcases isn't needed, people wouldn't be bothered much by the change, hell they would actually welcome it.

True. As I stated before: it took her a long time to find her goal. When you put things in a perspective now that Kalos saga is over, the beginning of her dream could've been much sooner [by at least 20-25 episodes], however I personally don't mind what I got.

17. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 53 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

I can't find a reason to hate her. Although I don't really approve of Showcases as a goal for a main poke-girl, it suits this character as much as her Pokemon do so it at least balances out. And she's so cute and sweet and the real world could use more people like her.

18. KungFuMaster

You see hard to hate? :p. If we're talking just about her character, outside her goals and storyline you can't hate her, you just can't. If the world had more girls like her...
    And I found out why he/she hated her but I'm not posting my thought on it because it would start a war or make me banned :p

19. Power Up

Power Up ...

Yeah dude Dank, let it go honestly...its getting really annoying and hating on a character with no obvious reason is extremely unfair

20. DankOverlord

DankOverlord Komodo Dragons Rule!

I dunno I hated how her rivals were handled I liekd her confidence and everything in the end but her growth was....undermined by her lack of anythign new in her performances, I mean they were all the same and she only lost due to a simple accident and her rivals always seemed more hard-working and dedicated yet they were never threatening or challenging they were always doomed to fail and that alone quits some "smpathizing points"
    Its the same reason why I don't like Red at all
    And honestl I'm tired of how Serena was handled to the poitn where she onyl got to develop er chracter for a measly 20 episodes whiel the rest f the time she served as the living map or as aa girl who is defined by her crush and sadly tis her crush the only hting that really makes her stnad out IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.