• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your thoughts on Serena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
So I take it that you haven't watched XYZ28 and 29. Low and behold, Ash would still be a depressed piece of crap without his eighth gym badge had Serena not gone into the forest after him and snapped him out of it.

I wouldn't call him that. Yes, he was depressed because he mostly a winning streak which came to the end. However, I think he snapped himself out of it but that is my opinion.

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
Last time I recall, she made things worse and he wandered deeper into the forest. Greninja is the one who helped Ash in the end.

If that was the case, then why did Ash thank her and say that her words opened his eyes?

Heekful

"Thanks to Serena's words I was able to open my eyes" even Ash said that lol ! You can disagree all you want but the words are there.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Perhaps she did play some part but ultimately Ash manages to break out of his depression and went back to his old self. I suppose that was another good thing Serena did at least.

Heekful

Man , just watch the episode , you can be a hater if you want.

Serena is screaming at Ash "Remember your training" and then he was alright and won.

When Ash realized that dancing is bad he looked at Serena.

The last gym I don't even have to talk.

ttiptoes

I think people are being way to hard on Serena for being girly I think it's a refreshing change of pace tbh

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Man , just watch the episode , you can be a hater if you want.

Serena is screaming at Ash "Remember your training" and then he was alright and won.

When Ash realized that dancing is bad he looked at Serena.

The last gym I don't even have to talk.

I never said I hated her so I don't know what you are talking about. Read my post above. I clearly said that Serena played some part during the forest thing.

Soniman

Break the Limit
It kind of looks too sexist. The other previous girls weren't as pronounced as Serena's habits. She's even lousier as a fighter than...well, all of them.

I dont think being naff at battles is inherently sexist??

I mean if she had no goal and sucked at battles that would be one thing but that's not really the case

SoundVoltex

She's the girl in every shouen anime...

Honestly, I think she's very cliche. I think Misty, May, and Dawn were better. It felt at least they had their own identities versus being Ash's cheer leader for basically the entire series. Cute Armour shipping though.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I like Serena but I really don't care for her character... at all. She has so much potential to become a better character. I wished that her crush didn't define her character. Her crush in general isn't benefiting her at all outside from making silly faces. I didn't like her goal, mainly because it was really boring and all she did was twirl around as her Pokemon did fancy moves to make sparkles. /(○□<)/☆◇ She usually seems just... there. Like she barely does anything now outside of being in the background looking cute, satisfying her loyal Amourshippers, and being supportive mostly to only Ash since she doesn't have much interactions with Clemont. I really loved her shining moment where she looked back on her past mistakes before cutting her hair. That was a powerful scene and the writers should've showed more of her inner strength. It showed that she wanted to improve herself. She should follow her heart/dreams and not walk 2 steps behind a boy who'll never see her more than just a friend. Other than that, I love her sisterly relationship with Bonnie and her underlooked sassy side was entertaining early on in the series. Serena makes the best faces! :D

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Thats another point of contention however, since she was somewhat TOO good, doing instantly well and losing only due to random pratfalls from her team rather than needing to redirect her strategy. None of her rivals legitimately out performed her which made her seem a bit too invincible and like she never really had to develop or change her direction the whole time.

Well I get what you mean since she didn't struggle in showcases as much as Dawn and May struggled in contests, but I think Serena had an easier time due to the pacing in X&Y being faster. She just didn't have much room for error given the limited time she had for showcases. ^^

kaitlynbrannan

shiny hunter <3
ugh i just don't like her. her entire character is just ash, ash, ash, it's annoying af. in the beginning of the season she was cute but then as the show progressed she just started to get more and more pointless. she has very little development and is just basic overall. they could've done so much more with her

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I dont think being naff at battles is inherently sexist??

I never meant her battles. That "she's even lousier as a fighter" part was just meant to reinforce the fact she only lived for a goal that was girls only, hence why I said "habits". How did we downgrade from diverse-gendered contests to same-gendered stuff?

Even Ash never got to fight a proper random female trainer outside the gyms. No, Astrid doesn't count. She was movie-only material that Ash never recognized in the actual main story and her battle got skipped with no buildup...unlike Alain's fight against the basara guy who actually got lucky and had some backstory told to the audience.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
ugh i just don't like her. her entire character is just ash, ash, ash, it's annoying af. in the beginning of the season she was cute but then as the show progressed she just started to get more and more pointless. she has very little development and is just basic overall. they could've done so much more with her

This just basically proves my point that the fanbase overexaggerates on amourshipping. Especially since she did have character development and her character wasn't only about Ash. Maybe it would have been better if Serena just didn't exist smh.

greninjamaster

Does it matter what we think? She's out the door soon to be replaced with the next girl.

If I would rate the pokegirls from favorite to least Serena would be before Iris and after Dawn.

Misty
May
Dawn
Serena
Iris

Red Pheonix

If romance is separating Serena from becoming a plain, general character and becoming a unique character and a story unlike any other, then you know the character itself wasn't well done. Although romance can be a huge factor in a well-developed character when done right, Amourshipping was honestly just a tease, nothing more. Ash isn't returning the feelings, or more like he is too dense to know what is romance in the first place, so this shipping is going nowhere. Really, Amourshipping is just a way to attract more viewers into the anime, because I am sure a lot of people watch this anime for the sole reason of Amourshipping. If you take out the shipping part of Serena, then her popularity will skyrocket down. So basically Serena is just a tool for the writers to implement romance into Pokemon. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know I will get a lot of hate for saying this, but whatever. Disagree all you want. Amourshipping already has a pretty loyal (or perhaps bandwagon, time will tell) fanbase, so I don't think there is a reason to bash on us and accuse us of being "salty" for questioning Serena's character. Of course some of us are displeased seeing Serena getting so much love, but rubbing that fact into us is just immature. Because at the end of the day, you guys will be the ones laughing at us, right? Am I right?

That's one way of looking at it I suppose. Ash and Pikachu are just a mascot for selling merchandise. The whole show is just one giant advertisement for the games and other pokemon stuff. Regardless, people enjoy it for what it is. They don't care if it's a "tool" or "advertisement" or whatever. Same for amourshipping.

Can we just............get along? I hope I don't get hate for saying this.........

Status
Not open for further replies.