• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your thoughts on Serena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Just go to any of the threads that involve Serena.

You're going to see that a few names come up often. REALLY often.

She can join Iris on the fellow Hate bandwagon. You say a few names, a few people don't make up the majority and besides, this is a public forum. People will say what they feel about said character and just ignore those annoying few names. I highly doubt it's 'every Serena thread'. If so, please amuse yourself with their complaints. :p There's also the favorite Pokegirl thread you can visit. Even this thread where people mention that they love her yet are a victim of bad writing (their opinion).

You should take some interpretation classes, because nobody said all of their points were invalid, just that those people like to reiterate their point so many times that it's almost impossible to keep a conversation with people who actually like Serena in the same thread as them and that's why most of us don't get out of the Amourshipping thread.

Thanks for the insult pal.
You must've chose the wrong post because I never said all of their points were invalid nor made any mention of people reiterating their point in this post. Ignore the people who keep doing that, that's why some posts get buried in the same thread while everyone continue talking about the topic. There are Serena fans who don't like Amourshipping which is why I don't recommend going to an Amourshipping thread. If you want to stay in your safety bubble then stay there but don't drag and speak for other Serena fans who don't agree with your views in it.

volcanionmaster123

Ok since everybody and their mothers are doing it, I might as well give my opinion on her. The good things and bad things about her have been discussed to death already so I won't bother with that. Bottom line, I like her, but nobody here can deny that her goal could've been executed much better than it was. No, Showcases weren't a terrible concept as people like to call it (Waifu Wars?), it was just rushed as hell. If she had actual rivals that you know, actually challenged her, then people's opinions about this could be different. Shipping wise, you either love it or hate it. If you are a rival shipper or a Misty fan (not naming any names but you know who you are), you will obviously hate it. That's like saying the sky is blue. Although it is kinda sad that we have keyboard warriors actually willing to fight over 2 fictional characters for no reason whatsoever.

That being said tho, not many people have mentioned this so I'll do it, and it involves her Pokemon. In 130+ episodes, she has gotten a total of THREE pokemon. THREE. In a Pokemon anime. That has to be a new record for lowest amount for a Pokegirl. Please don't *potentially* send her off like this. It gives off the vibe that she is an incomplete character and that is a disservice to her, regardless of your stance. If the writers keep her for another season to fill up the slots, then this could be remedied (don't kill me anti-Serena fans I said IF)

Side note: I guess some people here were talking about Citron's voice actor responding to a question about this character potentially staying in SM with " I can't answer that or else I'll get fired." and big surprise, started a war here. Reminder, NDA's can work both ways. Which way you may ask, we're gonna have to wait (an extraordinary amount of time I might add) to see so no need to go at each other's throats over it. I will say this though, this might be the latest Pokemon anime announcement yet, which gives ME the IMPRESSION that they wanna hide something till the end. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they could've done what they did when they first announced the BW series by revealing the companions in July and then reveal Satoshi once the League (or the TF arc in this case) concludes.

Last edited:

Heekful

Ok since everybody and their mothers are doing it, I might as well give my opinion on her. The good things and bad things about her have been discussed to death already so I won't bother with that. Bottom line, I like her, but nobody here can deny that her goal could've been executed much better than it was. No, Showcases weren't a terrible concept as people like to call it (Waifu Wars?), it was just rushed as hell. If she had actual rivals that you know, actually challenged her, then people's opinions about this could be different. Shipping wise, you either love it or hate it. If you are a rival shipper or a Misty fan (not naming any names but you know who you are), you will obviously hate it. That's like saying the sky is blue. Although it is kinda sad that we have keyboard warriors actually willing to fight over 2 fictional characters for no reason whatsoever.

That being said tho, not many people have mentioned this so I'll do it, and it involves her Pokemon. In 130+ episodes, she has gotten a total of THREE pokemon. THREE. In a Pokemon anime. That has to be a new record for lowest amount for a Pokegirl. Please don't *potentially* send her off like this. It gives off the vibe that she is an incomplete character and that is a disservice to her, regardless of your stance. If the writers keep her for another season to fill up the slots, then this could be remedied (don't kill me anti-Serena fans I said IF)

Side note: I guess some people here were talking about Citron's voice actor responding to a question about this character potentially staying in SM with " I can't answer that or else I'll get fired." and big surprise, started a war here. Reminder, NDA's can work both ways. Which way you may ask, we're gonna have to wait (an extraordinary amount of time I might add) to see so no need to go at each other's throats over it. I will say this though, this might be the latest Pokemon anime announcement yet, which gives ME the IMPRESSION that they wanna hide something till the end. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they could've done what they did when they first announced the BW series by revealing the companions in July and then reveal Satoshi once the League (or the TF arc in this case) concludes.

I agree with you , that's a really mature post , for me Serena is the best pokegirl and I think people have just to wait the end of the XY saga to judge Serena , everything can happen.

IF they keep Serena the "3 Pokemon problem" will be resolved , I don't want to talk about Shipping because I think the majority of people who dislike Serena are Misty fans/Pokeshippers/Nostalgic fans, but like I said she helped Ash so many time in Gym battle (1st gym , 3rd gym and last gym + forest) so she deserves more respect than just being a girl who has a crush , that's really hater words.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
I agree with you , that's a really mature post , for me Serena is the best pokegirl and I think people have just to wait the end of the XY saga to judge Serena , everything can happen.

IF they keep Serena the "3 Pokemon problem" will be resolved , I don't want to talk about Shipping because I think the majority of people who dislike Serena are Misty fans/Pokeshippers/Nostalgic fans, but like I said she helped Ash so many time in Gym battle (1st gym , 3rd gym and last gym + forest) so she deserves more respect than just being a girl who has a crush , that's really hater words.

I'm not so much against Serena having just three Pokémon if they also got a little more development. Sylveon and Braixen have had a reasonable amount of development, but I would have like to have seen more. Pancham has had next to none, which may be why I don't like it, that and I find it abnoxious and adds nothing to her team. It seems like they chose to give her Braixen and they needed to give her another Pokémon so they just randomly gave her Pancham. That's just my opinion though.

thiagomestres

Thanks for the insult pal.
You must've chose the wrong post because I never said all of their points were invalid nor made any mention of people reiterating their point in this post. Ignore the people who keep doing that, that's why some posts get buried in the same thread while everyone continue talking about the topic. There are Serena fans who don't like Amourshipping which is why I don't recommend going to an Amourshipping thread. If you want to stay in your safety bubble then stay there but don't drag and speak for other Serena fans who don't agree with your views in it.

I'm just being honest. Seriously, you completely misunderstood my post once again.
I literally said on that post that no1 said all of the haters's points were invalid, but somehow you thought i was acussing you of saying that all of their points were invalid.
Also, no, i didn't quote the wrong post. I was answering your comment about my post:
I'm sorry that Serena wasn't made perfect and had flaws
That is why i said no1 said she was perfect, without any flaws, and that all of the haters's points were invalid.
Besides, you kept acting like i was trying to make every Serena fan go to the Amourshipping thread. I wasn't. I just just said there was a bunch on the Amourshipping thread.

i'm not trying to be mean or anything, i just thought you should know that your interpretation is extremely different from what i actually said. Like, almost 100%.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I prefer good focus on less Pokemon than having tons and tons of Pokemon that have more minimal shares of development (probably the same reason I like TR's Kalos squad).

My key problem is that, after the showcases, only Pancham has got a reasonable amount of spotlight as a character (and even then most of it is revolved around his now wearing rivalry with Chespin). Braixen and Sylveon only pop out for one of their utilities (eg. Braixen's torch) or to perform a very quick curb stomp battle or generic group shots. It's particularly sad for Sylveon, who got a lot of endearing spotlight as Eevee.

satopi

That being said tho, not many people have mentioned this so I'll do it, and it involves her Pokemon. In 130+ episodes, she has gotten a total of THREE pokemon. THREE. In a Pokemon anime. That has to be a new record for lowest amount for a Pokegirl. Please don't *potentially* send her off like this. .

But I don't her to get sent a Pokémon extremely late like Togekiss. :( I would like her to get an egg instead. Speaking of which, I don't think all the Performers have all 6 Pokémon (correct me if I'm wrong). I never had anything wrong with her Pokémon aside from the same old same old bickering between two Pokémon from the same group tradition.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
But I don't her to get sent a Pokémon extremely late like Togekiss. :( I would like her to get an egg instead. Speaking of which, I don't think all the Performers have all 6 Pokémon (correct me if I'm wrong). I never had anything wrong with her Pokémon aside from the same old same old bickering between two Pokémon from the same group tradition.

I think caring for an egg would be perfect for Serena's character. There are a lot of Pokémon that would fit Serena.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Confirmed crush, really? Misty says hi. Anebel too. Misty had a freaking movie dedicated to it.

Just Anabel. Misty was never confirmed to have a crush on Ash. And the movies are non-canon so...

Anyway, I don't really understand how people could dislike a character just because of the shipping thing. I hate the annoying ones too but Serena is fine. It's not her fault, haha. Hate the fanbase, not the character.

greninjamaster

Just Anabel. Misty was never confirmed to have a crush on Ash. And the movies are non-canon so...

Misty was never confirmed to have a crush on Ash? So all those times she blushed when people called her out(Team Rocket or Macey for example) or the many times she got jealous when Ash got female attention... yeah sure she was just having a friendly reaction. Okay.

You know what lol go ahead and live in denial world but you're living on fantasy land if you honestly think Misty did not have feelings for Ash. And at least Ash showed his own emotions towards Misty. Blushing as well when he was called out or when he showed jealousy over the many guys that hit on Misty like Danny, Rudy, and Dylan. Can't say the same for a certain other one sided ship.

Anyway, I don't really understand how people could dislike a character just because of the shipping thing. I hate the annoying ones too but Serena is fine. It's not her fault, haha. Hate the fanbase, not the character.

I don't dislike her because of the shipping thing. I don't care about the shipping thing cause it goes nowhere and it's one sided.

I dislike her cause she took forever to get a goal, her crush on Ash defines her character and her choices which is a no no and a horrible message to little girls, her Pokemon are lame, and the goal she chose is boring as heck. I don't care for Showcases I much prefer contests.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I feel as if they should have invested a little more time I to her poffin making, maybe have poffin making incorporated with showcases. That would probably make it too contest-y. I found another pro for my list... that she likes cooking and enjoys sharing her poffins with others.

Her baking pastries was one of my favourite things about her and I do wish we could've seen that be incorporate into each showcase she was in, tho I guess it would've been time consuming. But at least she had a hobby unlike Bonnie, which is why I don't understand some of the criticism that she gets. ^^;

Celceta

I believe her character could've been written better. I remember in the beginning I was sort of excited to see someone that knew Ash when he was little come in (besides Gary), but her character development was so slow, it took 50ish episodes to get anywhere? I like her and that crush of hers is nice, but it's not going to go anywhere. If this was like Digimon, we all know we will ever hardly ever see romance with the main character. This is worse than Digimon actually, the kids actually grew up and had kids of their own. We won't see that. Serena is just there to fill in the gap and change the mood about the anime. It would be great to see her do something about that crush of hers, but most of these people are stuck in the "what if" scenario. It's not going to happen. I think her character overall was written half heartedly. She has too much self doubt. May/ Dawn had clear ambitions, and it didn't even take her 10 episodes to do it. They could've paced her development a little bit quicker at least, Sawyer barely showed up and he went places. With that said, I actually enjoy her interactions with everyone. Especially with Bonnie.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Her baking pastries was one of my favourite things about her and I do wish we could've seen that be incorporate into each showcase she was in, tho I guess it would've been time consuming. But at least she had a hobby unlike Bonnie, which is why I don't understand some of the criticism that she gets. ^^;

It's funny that you mention this because out of Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie... I prefer Bonnie. Bonnie's really there to be the spokes girl got Clemont finding his future wife. XD I have just really watching Bonnie's character interact with Squishy. However, this is about Serena. She's just never really intrigued me too much as a character, but it is true, she does at least have a hobby. :)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Seems like Serena's been polarizing with most viewers. I neither love her nor hate her, though. Her TryPokaron activity was a watered-down Contest, which could've been better, but her crush on Satoshi has been interesting because it's made her the most human character of the bunch to me. So that's my highest praise for her.

Lunala

Banned
She was good for what she was. An enjoyable character to some people, but not one of my favorites personally. She wasn't all that interesting with her goal or amourshopping

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
I gave her a shot in the beginning of XY; I really did. However, even with her attempt at pursuing a tangible goal, her character just boils down to being an Ash fangirl, when she could be so much more than that. Plus, that stupid petition to have her travel to Alola for the sake of being with Ash is killing her character for me further, because 1) it would mean that those in favor pushing the writers to bring her to Alola are basically saying, "I want this girl to drop whatever hobbies and/or interests she has for a guy." Regardless of her canon crush, that does not send a positive message to me, and, 2) Alola most likely will not have the same fashion-forward flair that Kalos has in order to make Tripokalons a possibility, as you can't really compare real-world Hawaii to France in the same sense. Therefore, Serena would just be the same bland traveling fangirl for me with absolutely nothing to do.

greninjamaster

I gave her a shot in the beginning of XY; I really did. However, even with her attempt at pursuing a tangible goal, her character just boils down to being an Ash fangirl, when she could be so much more than that. Plus, that stupid petition to have her travel to Alola for the sake of being with Ash is killing her character for me further, because 1) it would mean that those in favor pushing the writers to bring her to Alola are basically saying, "I want this girl to drop whatever hobbies and/or interests she has for a guy." Regardless of her canon crush, that does not send a positive message to me, and, 2) Alola most likely will not have the same fashion-forward flair that Kalos has in order to make Tripokalons a possibility, as you can't really compare real-world Hawaii to France in the same sense. Therefore, Serena would just be the same bland traveling fangirl for me with absolutely nothing to do.

Petitions don't amount to jack ever. They're a waste of energy. I agree with everything you said. Serena needs a sassy gay friend to say this to her...

LookatYourLife.gif

She truly needs a sit down. I don't even think Ash would want her to go because he knows her dream is be Kalos Queen and even he knows she wouldn't be able to do that in Alola.

Mind you I don't think she's gonna go to Alola. It's not where she belongs and giving up everything for some guy is the worst message you could possibly send to young girls. It's about as bad as people saying it's good that Serena's crush defines her which is beyond sexist.

Last edited:

Franckie

I never thought Serena was a terrible character, as far as Pokemon standards go. I like how she went through various activities from Rhyhorn racing to baking in order to find something she was passionate about before finally stumbling upon pokemon contests. Arguably her biggest problem is the ease she accomplished her goals. All her rivals train just as hard as her, if not harder, yet Serena went from nOOb to expert overnight. Furthermore, her rivalries with various characters were never developed.

Other than that I'm interested in seeing what direction her character goes, specifically her relationship with Ash. We've never had a main character with a 100% confirmed crush on Ash (the closest was Misty and we all know how that went). I'm hoping the writers don't chicken out on this aspect of Serena's character (it's arguably the center of her character) and have her give Ash a proper confession. The Kalos Saga has turned Pokemon upside down in many ways and I'd like to follow through on this trend with Serena's relationship with Ash.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I guess it's up to interpretation whether after all her growth and development you still see her as an "ash fangirl" or not but I think it's rather unfair honestly. I don't doubt that it's gonna be the thing her character will be the most remembered for (Like Iris and her "such a little kid" catchphrase) but in-canon? Wasnt one of her best scenes recently her calling Ash out on his mopey attitude? Therefore showing she wasnt completely okay with everything Ash does? Just saiyan.

It just really bugs me I guess. It's like still calling May a lazy, ditzy girl that she was in early AG and disregard all the development she received through the series.

satopi

I want Serena to follow her dreams of becoming Kalos Queen. I don't see why she SHOULD go to Alola. Though I never seen her that much of a fangirl and if I did then Clemont & Bonnie are just as much as a "fangirl" as some people claim her to be. Like Soniman said, she did call him out of his altitude ("That's not the Satoshi I know") and has on occasion tell him about his recklessness (after jumping towards lava to hug Talonflame). Her crush is a defining trait of her character but if you erase her crush, she would have some character growth. It isn't as prominent as lets say, May's but Serena can mature and develop new interests/quirks while also being herself and keeping some of her old traits.

I'd ignore those petitions (especially since it's probably the Western fans making it, I doubt the writers would give it a thought.) Sad on how her crush got more focus than her short lived, rushed goal. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.