• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I could never really get into liking Serena. She just seemed a bit boring for awhile. And Pokémon Spectaculars were just horrible rip offs of Contests so even her goal ended up being bad.

RafaSceptile

I agree with this sentiment, for the most part at least. I thought that Satoshi versus Kaede was rather mediocre even though most viewers seemed to love it more than Satoshi versus Tetsuya. I don't view the Houen League as overrated per se, however: that title goes to the Kalos League from my perspective even if I did like parts of it.

At least the Kalos League even when it was super rushed, it had 4 episodes with 2 good 6vs6 battles against 2 stablished characters (even if Alain is a Bad Ash:'s rival). The Hoenn League had 4 episodes with 3 6vs6, no one of those is as good and it were against 2 last minute Rivals and a COTD

Leonhart

Imagineer
KirliaToon50 said:
My Unpopular Opinion? I've got a unpopular opinion:
Alola Region as a whole region in Pokémon Anime is terrible and I Just wish Ash would lose the Alola League instead of winning the league at least Unova league had a good excuse for Ash to lose.
did anyone agree with my opinion?

I didn't like a lot of things about the Alola region, but I wasn't necessarily rooting for Satoshi to lose the Alola League. I dislike the hoopla over his win however since in the grand scheme of things it didn't change much [he likely would've still competed in the World Championship even if he'd lost at the Alola League].

RafaSceptile

I didn't like a lot of things about the Alola region, but I wasn't necessarily rooting for Satoshi to lose the Alola League. I dislike the hoopla over his win however since in the grand scheme of things it didn't change much [he likely would've still competed in the World Championship even if he'd lost at the Alola League].

Tbf It would have been the same if Ash won in another region and the anime would not change either

Applecorp

I could never really get into liking Serena. She just seemed a bit boring for awhile. And Pokémon Spectaculars were just horrible rip offs of Contests so even her goal ended up being bad.

You mean Pokemon Showcases right? Pokemon Spectaculars are what ORAS called their Pokemon Contests.

But yeah I agree that I couldn't get into Serena's character arc either it took too long to be set up and wasn't worth it in the end.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet

I think most of us agree with this lol. I don't think anyone really liked Pokemon showcases and most people saw them as budget versions of contests from the get-go. Also their rules were freaking stupid - a Pokemon tripping shouldn't cost someone votes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I think most of us agree with this lol. I don't think anyone really liked Pokemon showcases and most people saw them as budget versions of contests from the get-go. Also their rules were freaking stupid - a Pokemon tripping shouldn't cost someone votes.

The fan voting element was ridiculous since it gave power to popular Performers, which meant that rookies like Serena, Nene, and others like them who weren't well-known at first were at a huge disadvantage unless they somehow managed to pull off an amazing performance right off the bat.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
My unpopular opinion: i LOVE showcases. People who complain about fan voting or tripping don't get the concept of Instagram models, reality TV, and beauty pageants irl, bc that's all they are

My unpopular opinion: there was not much filler between Snowpoint and Sunyshore

While I definetly think it took to long (especially considering that the XY anime had a three year timeslot) I actually thought the anime was sneakily built up Serena's goal with the Pokevision episode and the Pokepuff making episode giving us some foreshadowing that you don't appreciate unless you rewatch it.
also the Rhyhorn episode, considering it was relevant in the Amelia episode

SerenaRulez

The fan voting element was ridiculous since it gave power to popular Performers, which meant that rookies like Serena, Nene, and others like them who weren't well-known at first were at a huge disadvantage unless they somehow managed to pull off an amazing performance right off the bat.

Yeah it was not completely fair but I still believe that if Fennekin hadn't tripped Serena could have won in the first Pokemon Showcase she tried because up until that happened she seemed to be doing well. :)

Epicocity

I mean, in both cases of tripping it shows a failure to prepare your Pokemon well. It's a mistake, no different than Ash calling out an immune move in the middle of battle.

Red and Blue

1. After some initial disappointment I'm perfectly ok with Alain winning the Kalos League
2. I dont have a problem with Ash's reserves evolving offscreen.
3. I loved that Ash used Mimey in the battle frontier tournament.
4. I like Go and dont mind his goal.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
1. DP is the worst saga.
2. SM, AG, and BW are respectively the first, second, and third best sagas.
3. Charizard is Ash's worst Pokémon personality-wise.
4. Shinji Miyazaki never should have been the composer for the show.
5. All the dub composers' music utterly outclasses those of every JP version composer other than Yuki Hayashi.
6. XY only had a good third act.
7. Meowth's JP voice is the worst sound that ever came out of audiovisual media.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
My unpopular opinion: i LOVE showcases. People who complain about fan voting or tripping don't get the concept of Instagram models, reality TV, and beauty pageants irl, bc that's all they are

I grew to like them as well. Only issue is that the rule "girls only" kind of hindered the concept's potential.

But I like how it was kind of equivalent to the idol industry and it end up fitting well with the other plots that were going on Serena's character

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Goh is the worst.
Forum is full of Goh shills so this is unpopular

The entire concept is a terrible idea and goes against literally everything the anime has built upon, and he really feels like a self insert at times. Particularly when he met the Alola cast... not to mention his literally being a writer's pet.
Ash and other characters have thrown balls and failed due to 'you need to weaken Pokemon first!', yet here he comes catching 30+ without doing that! Then he gets a fully evolved dragon with literally no effort when dragons are supposed to be hard to raise, and it took a massive dump on Gible's arc with him already getting Draco Meteor right off the bat.
He's selfish and also freeloads. 'Hey look Chloe weakened that Fearow, I'mma catch it!' 'I put in no work whatsoever for this Golurk, it mine!'

Iris looks a lot more appealing thanks to him

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Goh is the worst.
Forum is full of Goh shills so this is unpopular

The entire concept is a terrible idea and goes against literally everything the anime has built upon, and he really feels like a self insert at times. Particularly when he met the Alola cast... not to mention his literally being a writer's pet.
Ash and other characters have thrown balls and failed due to 'you need to weaken Pokemon first!', yet here he comes catching 30+ without doing that! Then he gets a fully evolved dragon with literally no effort when dragons are supposed to be hard to raise, and it took a massive dump on Gible's arc with him already getting Draco Meteor right off the bat.
He's selfish and also freeloads. 'Hey look Chloe weakened that Fearow, I'mma catch it!' 'I put in no work whatsoever for this Golurk, it mine!'

Iris looks a lot more appealing thanks to him
What Goh shills? From what I've seen most people on here don't care much him or don't like him at all (myself included) so this isn't an unpopular opinion at all.

Lacuna

Goodnight
Okay, here's some (not all) of mine in no particular order. I probably put way too much thought into this. so don't hurt me ok
  1. Ash's Charizard being disobedient for so long was always way more annoying to me than funny, and it ended up being my least favorite of the bunch because of it. I know it eventually comes around, but after that Indigo Conference loss against Sparky... I've been bitter ever since.

2. I have no idea if this is actually an unpopular take or not, so please forgive me if this has been said a million times already (I wouldn't know), but... that JN episode where Pikachu ran away from jealousy towards Riolu could have been handled WAY better than it was! Ash was so nonchalant and almost apathetic about it all. He was basically just like "lol, oops, my bad" right before the end. It was just super baffling to me, especially compared to past instances like that where it was like the worst day of his life.

3. I like the dub. BUT... I absolutely get why people don't. I just have no preference in the sub vs dub war. I like both for different reasons on different days, neither one of them is objectively better or worse.

4. Paul is, was, and somehow remained a complete jerk almost the whole time. No denying that. But man, it's unintentionally really funny sometimes for him to just be a total piece of crap in a world where power-of-friendship reigns supreme. I hate him... yet I don't.

5. This one's less like "I don't think people really like them", but more like "I don't think anybody else but me really cares". Cassidy and Biff should totally make a comeback, along with Todd Snap since he was in their debut episode. I know Todd is more boring than unflavored water, but dang it if no one's gonna defend him I will!

6. Okay, being actually serious. Say what you want about Gou's other flaws, but it does make me sad that some people tend to brush off his whole backstory as stupid. It's established he was actually pretty lonely when he was younger, and has issues befriending people for a lot of reasons. It's kind of horrible that people say they hate that about him, especially because, well, this show is aimed at kids. And kids that can actually relate to that need that kind of positive reinforcement/representation.

7. And finally... Gary was always the best rival.
    ...But why did they have to send him to eternal research hell right before we got any backstory about him?! I really hope that if he returns later on in Journeys he'll actually have a reason to be there, because that really wasn't the case in his last few DP episodes and it was so disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.