• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrazyMaster

I saw a few of these on twitter, so I thought I'd post one here. Basically, what opinions do you have about the anime that not a lot of people share? Maybe it has something to do with a certain gimmick, how certain arcs were handled or maybe it has to do with something you thought was funny/unfunny when other people didn't? Also try to stick with things that you don't see being brought up too often (that's kinda the whole point of this thread).

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
This sorta thread always gets locked after a while because people can't be civil about their opinions. I don't like the battle choreography in this show. And I mean like in every battle even some of the ones that most folks over-rate. I like Pokemon because it's got funny moments and shows characters bonding with Pokemon not because the battles are amazing or worth investing in...

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I actually watch the anime for Ash and Pikachu. Not only that but I’m mentally and emotionally invested in them as characters and their journey. I wholeheartedly love these characters and I really don’t want Ash to be replaced, the whole anime is his journey and being replaced would be a horrendous decision.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Now, it's my time to shine!

- Ash should have gotten Chespin on XY.

- BW Ash was good and in some ways more interesting than first series!Ash

- Iris was endearing and a better character than people gave her credit for

- Neither brock nor misty were funny with their gags.

- Serena was a great character and although her story had some missteps in the beggining, she end up being great.

- Goh is a great addittion to show

- Sawyer should've been a companion, replacing both, Clemont and Bonnie

- Verity deserves to appear in the main universe.

- Most of SM's jokes were either unamusing, plain unfunny or downright cringey (though the series itself does have its positives)

- Chloe's current role is good enough as it is. No promotion needed

- Though Parker should have been promoted. Kid's cool.

- Dawn should have had a longer cameo up until the end of Episode N at least.

- Rowlett is overrated and unfunny

- Riolu was a bad addition to Ash's roster

Leonhart

Imagineer
I typically don't like it when Satoshi gets too many powerhouses since I typically view them as boring compared to the smaller Pokemon that tend to have more personality. It isn't always so black and white, but usually cute mascot Pokemon are more entertaining.

Mew29240

At the start of the series, I honestly hoped that Ash wouldn't catch any Pokemon and instead focused on using his older Pokemon for the PWC. Of course, that ended when he caught Dragonite.

Right now, I don't want him catching any more Pokemon because they're not utilizing the ones he currently has that well.

RafaSceptile

OS: Brock is fun and charismatic but very overrated as a character, he was in the group only by prevent Ash and Misty to kill each other
AG: The Hoenn League and Katie are both overrated, her battle was elevated to one of the best battles in the anime by some people even when we have better no full battles.
DP: Conway, Nando and Barry are OK rivals but they are not so much special in comparison with other secondary rivals, at least in strenght.
BW: The series is not universally as bad as people thing
XY: Even if its Ash's second strongest Pokémon, Ash Greninja is a dumb concept and it shouldn't exist. Also XY isn't in another level of good writing as some people thing, same applies with its prequel (BW) and sequel (SM)
SM: Ash VS Hau is an actual good battle and people only treats it like trash by the fake KO, ignoring the rest of the battle and the Rowlet moments with its family (which is still part of the episode)
JN: GOH IS A DECENTLY GOOD CHARACTER

Sham

The Guardian of War
OS-NA
AG
May was hindsight was incredibly boring compared to the Pokegirls we have now. She's neither conversational nor had the best character arc.
Most of May's Contest wins were BS.
Bonnie was more annoying than Max
BF being in Kanto was useless and felt like an extension of Hoenn. We seen none of Kanto

DP
Dawn had the best character and goal arc of this series and nobody has stood up to her yet
I don't care that Dawn got that Togekiss nor do I care the Ambipom left because having two mono normal types was ridiculous.
Barry needed more substance besides being a Paul fanboy and being impatient
I actually didn't mind Brock's reduced role in the series since man has been there for three regions at that point
DP Ash was the best Ash and was able to BALANCE his mature side while also allowing him to have a personality
Ash's DP team was his best team.

BW
BW had the second best humor besides OS
Serious TR was interesting
People really need to analyze why they truly hate Iris because most of the stuff they claim to hate her for... other characters are/have done it
DA could of been a good idea
BW rivals weren't that bad imo
I think the Elesa battle wasn't all that bad in all seriousness and was played for jokes... the true blemish was the Roxie battle
Ash should NOT have battled Drayden

XY
Honestly XY group had the worst group chemistry to date
Korrina should of been the main Pokegirl
Korrina wasn't really that annoying
Ash really should of gotten a jerk rival this series. It was bad enough everyone was praising/looking up to him but his rivals as well? bleh
The snowball scene will always be trash and was a display on why Serena and Ash will never work out and have no chemistry
XY had one of the best ending episodes and I really enjoyed Serena's last focus episode. One of the best episodes made.

SM
Lillie did not stop receiving focus post Aether
The Aether arc was just sloppy and rushed but wasn't bad
Nobody asked them to make Lusamine nice
Kukui's and Burnet's marriage after only knowing each other for 11 days still creeps me out
Nihilego kidnapping Lusamine was once of the most epic scenes of this series
They hyped Lana as this battle girl but she did about three battles and that makes no sense to me
The series could of went on without Guzma tbh... he contributed what exactly?
Plumeria should of gotten more focus than Guzma

JN
Goh's entire goal is a contradiction to the anime prior to this series, sorry.
Goh's goal is uninteresting
Chloe really should of taken Goh's place in terms in character focus

Leonhart

Imagineer
RafaSceptile said:
AG: The Hoenn League and Katie are both overrated, her battle was elevated to one of the best battles in the anime by some people even when we have better no full battles.

I agree with this sentiment, for the most part at least. I thought that Satoshi versus Kaede was rather mediocre even though most viewers seemed to love it more than Satoshi versus Tetsuya. I don't view the Houen League as overrated per se, however: that title goes to the Kalos League from my perspective even if I did like parts of it.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
- I like the dub

- I like Goh and his goal is fine. It's interesting

- XY&Z is bad

- all other seasons in the entire anime, even including the first 2 seasons of XY, are good

- the writers know better than us

- I like the way the first 6 generations did Pokémon debuts - what I mean is, debuts being spread out through a generation and some debuts were saved for the end of a generation. Just some examples would be Dragonite not showing up until the Orange League, literally at the end of the Gen I anime, Typhlosion not showing up in the Gen II main series at all, Tropius not showing up until the Hoenn League, or Togekiss not showing up until right before the Grand Festival. The reason I like this way of debuting is because even fillers have something to look forward to, as most of them debut a new mon, so it's exciting to at least see a new Pokémon being animated and see if it's how you imagined it or not. The other reason is it feels realistic to me based on the games - where some mons don't appear till the endgame. By contrast, the way SM did debuts, there were so many background debuts, and half the new mons had debuted in the first year, without even Ash properly seeing all of them or dexing them, just appearing in the background, and it felt less enticing to me. And then a lot of later SM fillers didn't have anything exciting for me to look forward to. I know a lot of people said this way was better because it's more realistic that it's not like the only Pokémon that will appear in the background will be ones that Ash has seen before, but I liked the earlier way better, and it seems like Journeys is doing it again which is good with me

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
*The original formula (OS-XY) is better than what we have now and would gladly take another saga in that format.
*Using something's marketability is not a valid counterargument for someone's dislike of something. Everyone watching Journeys knows what I'm talking about.
*I find the discourse over what's filler dumb. If someone deems an episode a filler, let them.
*Not liking SM for the art style is a valid reason not to watch it.
*People flip flop between if the games' logic can be used in the anime way too often
*XY vs SM debates are full of echo chambers on both sides typing the same tired arguments. Same goes for arguments about the Alola League
*I don't mind the concept of Ash Greninja and actually think it's cool. What I hate is how the last season was just its show at that point.
*I find the powerhouses to be mote entertaining than the gag mons most of the time

DatsRight

I'm kind of indifferent to companions capturing 'special' Pokemon like Iris' Dragonite, Dawn's Togekiss or Mallow's Shaymin, largely because I think most of the time they're careful to treat these captures as characters and not enablers to bypass proper character development. It tends to be more move buffs or evolutions they get cheap with and treat more as plot armour, generally because they're often bad at conveying them as being earned and usually just happen at the most convenient time. To compare the one time one of these Pokemon gave a protagonist an unfair advantage without actual effort put into it, it was called out and the character was made to bond with them properly. Otherwise the bigger complaint is that they're often caught too late in each series and so don't get enough screentime.

I can accept Goh capturing a legendary/mythical for the same reason, so long as he actually uses it properly in a way that doesn't break the story.

*I find the powerhouses to be mote entertaining than the gag mons most of the time

True. I appreciate the newer seasons for at least trying to find more of a balance, letting the powerhouses gain personalities and letting the gag mon do a bit more besides comic relief.

Last edited:
My Unpopular Opinion? I've got a unpopular opinion:
Alola Region as a whole region in Pokémon Anime is terrible and I Just wish Ash would lose the Alola League instead of winning the league at least Unova league had a good excuse for Ash to lose.
did anyone agree with my opinion?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Probably will write part 2 later but part 1:
Series : (some of these unpopular opinions are against general public or outside of this forum and some are against opinions on this forum)
OS: it's not that great of series, Johto is the worst one so far. Battles were bad.
AG: It's kinda boring because of lack of team arc and Ash's rival(May's rivals make up for it though)
BW: It's good-ish series but many people hate it because of Ash's regression
SM: it's OK series that have bad comedy( except Bewear) and genre is bad( slice of life which should've been normal: action/comedy/adventure) and it's second to worst series( as I said Johto is the worst)
PJ: It's good series so far

Characters(same as above);
-Misty is little bit overrated
-Max is kinda funny
-Dawn was annoying in first 20-30 episodes
-Cilan is great and funny character
-Iris was good character and only thing that was bad when it comes to her was: "you're such a kid"
-Clemont and Sophocles are meh characters
-Serena is amazing as she is
-Lana is good character
-Go is great character
-TR are not annoying characters( except in DP) and deserve more screen-time (especially in post BW and in current PJ)

Pokemon:
Ash has 3 Pokemon that are overrated
-First if Rowlet who is the least overrated and only because of that Decidueye battle
-Second is Greninja. Surely is made Champion Pokemon Mega evolve and hit it hard which made it fall down but it's not that great, nor is one of the best Ash's Pokemon.
-The most overrated Ash's Pokemon is Dusk Lycanroc only because it made Ash win Alola league( same would be with Greninja if it beat MCX), people praising it like it discovered electricity. Incineroar is much better than him, so are Melmetal and Naganadel.
(honorable mention)
Alain's MCX is also overrated.

Leagues:
-Hoenn league is great and second best league
-Kalos league was OK because they skipped first half
-Alola league is not that good, it's OK league that should've had Top 64 trainers and Top 4 at least being 6 on 6 and should've had requirement( to beat at least 4 Kahunas to enter)

Misc;
-Ash doesn't deserve to be Pokemon Master if they are gonna kick him from the show. Anime ends when Ash becomes Pokemon Master.
-Shippings are bad( grown men/women ship 10 year old characters)( Ash and Serena's kid decides to become Pokemon trainer replacing Ash is lol no)
-Series without Ash, Pikachu and TRio won't be good. They carry the show.
-BW tournaments were great part of BW and I wish they made some tournaments in XY and SM
-Ash catching lots of Pokemon like in BW is amazing( as long as they get all lots of attention)
-Ash needs to catch Grookey
-Pokemon Journeys is better than Sun and Moon
-In PJ Ash should catch more Galar Pokemon instead of catching popular Pokemon
-Team Galactic arcs are better than Team Flair arcs
- DP is better than XY( outside of this forum like Twitter)
-The best characters in show are James and Meowth and not Ash and Pikachu
-They should've made Kukui stronger(give him Mega Venusaur) and to make Ash use reserves( Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile, Snorlax, Infernape and Torracat->Incineroar)
(probably part 2 if I remember something else)

Last edited:

TheCrazyMaster

Welp, may as well contribute to my own thread.

*Max was funny as hell.
*I actually thought that the conflict in the Ash vs Morrison battle was an interesting concept.
*While the first four generations of the anime had the smoothest transitions, Ash's maturity did not transition very well between BF and DP. There were many moments where Ash came across as a tremendous hothead early on in DP, and I was genuinely flabbergasted that Ash would bicker with Dawn over whether gym battles or contests were better, considering the time he spent traveling with May and coming to understand contests.
*Staraptor is definetly strong, but overrated in my opinion (still don't get why some people think it's the strongest bird).
*Serena and Bonnie felt more like siblings than Bonnie and Clemont did.
*While I definetly think it took to long (especially considering that the XY anime had a three year timeslot) I actually thought the anime was sneakily built up Serena's goal with the Pokevision episode and the Pokepuff making episode giving us some foreshadowing that you don't appreciate unless you rewatch it.
*Ash and Alain didn't really get to know each other, making Alain feel the least involved with Ash when compared to the other rivals.
*I thought Sophocles was not only very well developed throughout the anime, but also one of Sun and Moons best executed characters.
*Lillie's development was poorly executed and she never really changed.
*Brock wasn't a creep in the Olivia episode........ he was always a creep.
*In his Journeys debut, Kiawe was an asshole.
*Lei was totally smacking Ash in order to murder him because he refused to accept that he wasn't an only child, "THERE CAN ONLY BE OOOOONE!!"
*Not a single season in the anime was genuinely bad.

DatsRight

*I thought Sophocles was not only very well developed throughout the anime, but also one of Sun and Moons best executed characters.

I actually agree with this, I like his chemistry with the other boys and his development through Vikavolt was subtle and gradual but satisfying arc. I also think he was one of the better cases of them using non-battler niches as Chekhov's Skills to make a proper battle style. The only shame is that Togedemaru only got a single buff and a bit too many of Vikavolt's were offscreen (though I like the implication at least that Sophocles did it himself and not through plot armour). Also minor nitpick but I think Kiawe should have got the shrink ray episode instead of him, that could have been hilarious.

I actually think pitting Ash alongside a educated geek is a cool dynamic, since I like the whole brains and brawn chemistry and rarely do they make it too vitriolic or side too much with one character, it feels very complementing while still having funny contrasts. Clemont and Lillie were fun for similar reasons, even if I think they weren't looked into as much as Sophocles.

Status
Not open for further replies.