• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’m so glad the hypnosis is done and people are finally waking up to realizing that BW was THAT show and overhated for no reason but we gonna have to finally talk about how AG was the weakest link in terms of being memorable and I mean minus BF and a Pokegirl having a goal arc.

At least OS has charm, DP has being amazing, BW/XY has controversy and SM/JN being major wins for Ash saves them but….what happened during that series?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I’m so glad the hypnosis is done and people are finally waking up to realizing that BW was THAT show and overhated for no reason but we gonna have to finally talk about how AG was the weakest link in terms of being memorable and I mean minus BF and a Pokegirl having a goal arc.

At least OS has charm, DP has being amazing, BW/XY has controversy and SM/JN being major wins for Ash saves them but….what happened during that series?

Even then, the BF wasn't handled that well due to them turning the facilities into essentially more challenging Gyms and eliminating their core aspects from the games.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!

Who are you even talking about?

A common sentiment has always been that Best Wishes Season 1 was quite good, but the main problem was that it torched Ash's progression. That's why it left a bad taste in the fandom, and will never stop being a criticism of BW.

I'm fairly certain Cameron/Unova League and BWS2 especially DA! is still seen more unfavorably.

A lot, if you were paying attention.

AG was a middle chapter of sorts. Once the writing staff realized the anime wasn't going to end during OS and going to be in for the long haul, AG was presented as a staging ground for Ash's ongoing character development and a template for years of anime to follow. Was it perfect? Absolutely not, but the writing in the Ashnime has never been anything spectacular.

AG was the season where Ash steps up as a Trainer. He wasn't handheld by his companions; he captured and raised a team by himself (he wasn't carried by a Charizard who trained at the Valley); and he proved the merits of his training at the Hoenn League where he narrowly lost to the eventual winner. It was the only time it was ever justified for Ash to exclusively use his regional team at a league, and the show expressed it as much. Ash's Hoenn team was one of the most well-balanced (if not the most alongside the SM team) in terms of personality and skill.

Once that was done, he went onto the Battle Frontier. While @Almighty Zard is right that it wasn't perfect in execution, it nevertheless remains the best presentation of Ash juggling through multiregional teams to great effect. So many people wanted Journeys to be like Battle Frontier, with Ash using reserves throughout the PWC. Ash defeating Brandon with the Gang of Four was a huge coming-full-circle moment, and completing the Battle Frontier was arguably Ash's best achievement until he became the Champion of Alola.

Ash was well-balanced between being still snarky and animated, but also increasingly mature, and he had a nice mentor/mentee relationship with May. You could even argue that Contestshipping did a mutual budding romance better than Amourshipping a decade later. The humor was low-key great as well. AG was the first season to give the female companion her own dedicated goal arc (a big deal), had less fillers than Johto, continued to have continuity to OS, and set up DP so well.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Even then, the BF wasn't handled that well due to them turning the facilities into essentially more challenging Gyms and eliminating their core aspects from the games.
Pretty much but it gets some points being a major accomplishment for Ash and something actually brought up in later seasons.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Pretty much but it gets some points being a major accomplishment for Ash and something actually brought up in later seasons.

being used as an element to intensify his rivalry with Paul wasn't really that great to me personally, and it was never addressed again after sinnoh, even with Paul's surprise return in JN's...by which point he was looking to become a gym leader for some reason.

I still wish those 11 episodes hadn't happened, the only thing worth wile to come out of it was Ash getting Pidgeot.

the damage misty's episode caused was absurd enough.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
the only thing worth wile to come out of it was Ash getting Pidgeot.
To be honest, I like the first episode because it displays perfectly how Ash's grown and become more independent.

But yeah, Pidgeot thing was the only thing I really like about that mini-series.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
To be honest, I like the first episode because it displays perfectly how Ash's grown and become more independent.

But yeah, Pidgeot thing was the only thing I really like about that mini-series.
Speaking of, the first episode's summary had me legit hopeful that they'd explore the repetitive nature of the usual formula or something

DatsRight

AG felt like one last curtain call for a lot of characters and showing off a lot of the development that happened since the OS. It was an improvement over Johto, but not quite enough, since a lot of it was still unmemorable and repetitive.

While DP doesn't quite have the same connections and does flanderize elements, I feel like that it overshadowed AG by taking a lot of its defining concepts and going fuller swing with them, the Pokegirl getting a proper arc, contests being far more developed, Team Rocket having attempts at legit jobs and even getting to WIN things, it even outdid something the OS failed at by trying to have more developed rivals and antagonists for Ash, after Gary and Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma had a rather underwhelming role before. i feel like DP was the point they were more confident with these ideas while in AG they only DABBLED in them and didn't quite fully know what they were doing.

Most people think the Pokémon dub went downhill after Unova-Isshu/BW, and in XY: I agree TPCi's last decade or so was the poorest of the overall English run, the popular opinion, but...

I think the dub went downhill after Season 8 in late AG, not Season 16 in late BW: the recasts proved to be for the worse for a majority of roles with time, the intros got shorter, and the script writing got notably less witty and humorous post-Houen/Hoenn & early Battle Frontier in general.
I'm going to say that I feel like even before the recast, there was some decay. OS had the best moments of dialogue and then got cheesier around the time of AG, and some of the character deliveries got more flanderized and annoying. As much as I loved Maddie's Meowth, it lost that fun slickness after the OS, sounding more like a childish Elmer Fudd type voice afterwards. I swear we got that whole 'rapidanimedubtalkwithnobreathingspaces' more excessively in AG as well.

We also know the soundtrack got diluted long before TPCI too, in fact aside from early BW and odd moments of DP which were handed to another studio, the first two seasons of the OS were the only times they kept a reasonable amount of the original music.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I am not a fan of Pidgeot returning to Ash. I understand that Ash made a promise to return for it someday, but that promise was made like ages ago and Pidgeot had become almost a forgotten Pokemon by then. If any Pokemon deserved to return to Ash, it was Greninja. Cuz Greninja was far more, like 100 times more memorable and impactful in the mind of the Pokemon fan base than Pidgeot could possibly ever be. IDK why a Pokemon that had become a almost forgotten one by that point had to return while Pokemon who is easily one of the most popular and fan-favourite didn't. I understand that Greninja's story was given a memorable conclusion via its release and the writers wanted to make Greninja's story to remain tied heavily with Kalos.....but still if you look at the reason behind its release, it makes perfect sense for Greninja to come back to come back & re-unite with Ash someday (I mean, the parts of the destroyed Megalith surely can't be something that's a permanent issue, at some point Greninja would finish destroying the remaining parts of the Megalith).

But still even after all this, Pidgeot returned to Ash but Greninja didn't. I can honestly never be a fan of that part.

Krackochu

Hey all been awhile.

I wish Roy and Dot have interactions that didn't involve liko. The two feel like they could have a good chemistry.

I wish that the show would hand liko a proper loss like it does for Roy.

I hate that liko's plot revolves around her past ancestor. Just doesn't feel pokemon like in any way.

Before people list examples of how pokemon has done this before. I just wanna say that the way it's written here feels so forced and tacked on it comes off as tacky.

No pokemon anime really comes close to feeling like a living world with pokemon outside of sun and moon.

Galar was a terrible region and all the people pretending it deserved to be the main focus of journeys are coping. It's story was so short that it might as well be like gen 1 and 2 where there was no story.

No going to random boring made up anime areas isn't gonna help Galar it didn't need the focus that people pretend it did. If journeys was written just a bit better nobody would make those ash galar traditional nonsense.

Hau wasn't robbed of a victory.

Alola Ash is champion level because he's a champion. He's the strongest person in alola so that in itself makes him champion level.

Liko's biggest problem is that she lacks definable characteristics outside of the pedant. Liko feels like a non character in her story.

Which is pretty ironic.

The biggest flaw of most of the non tradition anime is that the characters kinda get stuck in a vortex of non interaction without the MC this also goes along with XY and XYZ

You can remember interactions between
Misty and Brock
You can remember interactions between. May and Max and May and Brock and Brock and Max

You can't remember interactions between Serena and Clemont

You can't remember interactions between Roy and Dot because there isn't any.

Same goes for Sun and Moon.

Characters become vortexs void of soul or personality without the MC there and it sucks. Because they could have chemistry.

Pokemon should've switched over to being a seasonal anime at this point especially with pokemon horizons. It feels like it should've released seasonly.

Friede feels boring.