• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

Gingertail24

Chloe is a main character, she just doesn't get "marketed" as one.
This isnt an opinion, this is just false

Also I'm gonna say it. Charizard disobedience made no damn sense. Especially after everything Ash done for him. That attitude change came out of nowhere. Some say it's because Ash was a lazy trainer

And while sure in OS I understand, but the thing that bugs me about that explanation is that the way Ash won Charizard respect was the exact same way he even obtain Charizard. Not super training montage to show Charizard he can be a competent trainer. He just stayed all night with him warming him up trying to save his life, which is the exact same thing he did when he caught he as a Charmander

It just comes off as chameleon being a jerk for no reason and forgetting how much Ash cares for him and then remembering "oh yeah this guy saved my life and cares about me" when he got beaten by the poliwrath. If they were going for that, sure

But it seems everyone is saying it's because Ash sucks as a trainer, which just leaves the writing sloppy

Someone correct me, because I admit it's been a while when I watched the arc, so if my memory of the arc isnt right, I'll admit it. This is just what I remembered and the explanation of "Ash sucks as a trainer" justification made no sense

MunchMunch

This isnt an opinion, this is just false

Also I'm gonna say it. Charizard disobedience made no damn sense. Especially after everything Ash done for him. That attitude change came out of nowhere. Some say it's because Ash was a lazy trainer

And while sure in OS I understand, but the thing that bugs me about that explanation is that the way Ash won Charizard respect was the exact same way he even obtain Charizard. Not super training montage to show Charizard he can be a competent trainer. He just stayed all night with him warming him up trying to save his life, which is the exact same thing he did when he caught he as a Charmander

It just comes off as chameleon being a jerk for no reason and forgetting how much Ash cares for him and then remembering "oh yeah this guy saved my life and cares about me" when he got beaten by the poliwrath. If they were going for that, sure

But it seems everyone is saying it's because Ash sucks as a trainer, which just leaves the writing sloppy

Someone correct me, because I admit it's been a while when I watched the arc, so if my memory of the arc isnt right, I'll admit it. This is just what I remembered and the explanation of "Ash sucks as a trainer" justification made no sense
But that is an opinion though? Many people view Chloe as a side character. Even the "marketing" might present her as a supporting character. But to me personally I view just as much as a main character as Brock or Cilan. I just view her in the light of a "Brock, Cilan and Clemont" role. I mean, she might not be in every episode, but I still view her as a main/important enough character.

The XY anime is the worst out of all the Pokemon series. It's so boring.

Last edited:
Ratio by Amourshipping and Ash Greninja and Team Flare arc

megagodx

As I primarily watched Journeys episodes in Japanese with English subtitles, I never had a good impression of Goh's character and I found him grating. After watching some clips from the dub, he actually seems a lot more tolerable as a character for me. I think the whole meek, submissive sounding feminine voice for these young boy characters can be a bit tiresome and played out from the Japanese version. I think he's a lot more likable with his English speaking VA.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Let's try to make it not much list-y

- Brock and Misty weren't all that great as companions and later characters, specially Dawn and Goh, were a lot better at both being part of the main cast and being Ash's close friend.

- The first show had some highlights, thanks to Shudo, Yuyama and co.'s efforts but later entries (Advance - Journeys) were better overall.

- Ash became a much better character from AG onwards

- BW wasn't that bad

- Iris was more interesting than misty ever was.

- Cilan was funnier than Brock

- Sawyer was pretty good rival. I like him better than Paul

- ICY is the best movie

- We don't need a "cook" in the main cast

- It's good we no longer have gym leaders as companion (like Iris, Cilan and Clemont though). On that note, I hope they don't revisit the idea again anytime soon. Use either game MCs or OCs instead

- I don't mind game rivals being phased out (Barry, Hau, Hop) and being replaced by either OCs or other characters

- Max isn't that bad of a character.

- Nemona and Penny should not be companions if we get a SV anime.

- Ash having a female rival isn't all that mandatory. I'd much rather having good written rivalries

- Chloe was never MC material.

- Ash doesn't need an Eevee. Or the Galar starters.

- Ash's Lucario sucks.

- Goh having all Galar starters is fine. The faults are on execution as opposed as the concept.

- I don't mind Iris being champion in the anime.

- While Ash's Sirfetch'd was fine it does feel Kanto pandering even if it's a pokémon created on Galar.

- Not fan of leaving the Alola Squad stuck with Kukui as opposed to Oak.

This is all I can remember today.

I let "Ash should have Chespin" out on purpose as it's more of a personal wish than anything

SatoSereFan224888

Nemona and Penny should not be companions if we get a SV anime.
I agree with you there. However if the rumors are true Ash isn’t going to Paldea, you’ll be correct. If JN does continue into Paldea, it will probably just be Ash & Goh.

Last edited:

Gingertail24

But that is an opinion though? Many people view Chloe as a side character. Even the "marketing" might present her as a supporting character. But to me personally I view just as much as a main character as Brock or Cilan. I just view her in the light of a "Brock, Cilan and Clemont" role. I mean, she might not be in every episode, but I still view her as a main/important enough character.

I mean it's not? If the staff refer to her as a side character than that's a fact. It's something that can be proven right or wrong.

X show is better is an opinion. There is no objective measure to prove it

MunchMunch

I mean it's not? If the staff refer to her as a side character than that's a fact. It's something that can be proven right or wrong.

X show is better is an opinion. There is no objective measure to prove it
What are you on about? I'm speaking more of the fans referring to her as a side character. Most fans view her as a side character, me personally, and in my opinion, I view her as a main character.

Gingertail24

What are you on about? I'm speaking more of the fans referring to her as a side character. Most fans view her as a side character, me personally, and in my opinion, I view her as a main character.
I mean in your original post. You just said she is a main character just not marketed as one. Never mentioned fans. It was just a straight forward statement the way you presented it

So my bad, I misunderstood

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
What's wrong with his ICY or Secrets of the Jungle design :(
Don't get me wrong, his ICY design was incredibly clean and my favourite Ash design (excluding JN132), but it still had that dated and stiff feel that most Ash designs suffer from. Secrets of the Jungle was up there as well but something about the face puts me off. I would like if they went in a direction away from 90's anime designs, something less blocky. His early design came closest to what I want, but I disliked the overall art direction. JN132 Ash is peak and I wish that was his actual design.

Anything is better than bumblebee vest DP Ash

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Jessie and James don't pet Meowth enough. Cats love being pet.

Don't get me wrong, his ICY design was incredibly clean and my favourite Ash design (excluding JN132), but it still had that dated and stiff feel that most Ash designs suffer from. Secrets of the Jungle was up there as well but something about the face puts me off. I would like if they went in a direction away from 90's anime designs, something less blocky. His early design came closest to what I want, but I disliked the overall art direction. JN132 Ash is peak and I wish that was his actual design.

Anything is better than bumblebee vest DP Ash
DP Ash is my second favorite Ash design…

Hu Tao

Serebii Lurker for at least half a decade
Best Wishes is underrated. Okay it's far from good, think bad Team Plasma arc, writers not knowing what to do with Team Rocket Trio , Trip is just worse Paul, Ash reset, Decolore Islands basically only filler besides introducing Alexa, some gym battles like Elesa and Roxie just being bad, Attract being everywhere, and "you're such a little kid", to name a few off the top of my head. But a lot of the great elements get slept on.

Iris' Emolga is a pretty cute and quirky mon and I would have loved to see how Champion Iris used her. No Pikachu vs. Emolga in JN was a sad moment, I would have liked to see how Volt Switch pivoting could mess up Ash's strategy. I am indeed biased because this is my favorite Pikaclone.

Ash mons were actually really great, far from perfect, but better personalities than the JN team at least lol. Or at least most of them were. Surprising given how all of them took screentime from each other because there were so many in rotation. Starting with the great (imo):
-Krookodile definitely makes a presence whenever he's onscreen. I liked how it really wanted to battle Pikachu and followed Ash around. It basically replaced Team Rocket blasting off in the early episodes too. It gets unusually timid when it loses its glasses which I found endearing and gave another dimension to this pokemon. But seriously the sunglasses made this thing look way cooler than it already was lol
-Oshawott was a pretty good comic relief and was better than Rowlet for me. It's cute, gets scared when he's against a stronger opponent, and literally closes his eyes while using Aqua Jet, what's not to love?
-Snivy had a great attitude unique among Ash's mons in general. She's mysterious and way too intelligent for an Ashmon, and gotsSome great scenes like it helping Tepig get over his old trainer. Emolga and Snivy was also a cool dynamic
-Mid: I liked them but they just suffered from Ash's massive team and lack of screen time. Pignite was alright, overused fire starter gets released trope though. Unfezant is a solid bird mon, but that's mostly because the Skyla battle is one of my fav battles, the aerial choreography really elevated that battle. Sadly the bird got rotated out for Charizard at the end of the series. I like how Leavanny grew more mature and powerful as it evolved, turning from an immature bug to a parental figure for the rest of the Ash team.
-Trash: Boldore, Palpitoad and Scraggy were not very interesting. Palpitoad was especially sad as that thing had an amazing debut episode that also helped Oshawott's growth but spent most of its days rotting in storage.

The tournament arcs sprinkled in between, like the Club Battle and Junior cup were great and showed off the 6-ish recurring characters we got. These tournaments were basically just fun 1v1s with matchups you usually wouldn't expect. Stuff like Trip and Cilan got to battle each other twice in these tournaments, or Ash getting to battle Iris' rival Georgia of all people. I will say it's a bit of a culture shock if you watch this after JN, where Ash basically wins every battle even when it's not deserved. Over here, Ash never wins any of the tournaments.

And I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion as I bought this up and people seemed to like Cameron. He had probably the most emotive Lucario in all of the anime's history, and the idea of him having a stupidly powerful Hydreigon for some reason could have been funny in theory. He would be a lot less disliked if he didn't win against Ash imo. Ash should have lost to Virgil in that league and not Cameron but to be fair the League was far from great and not really salvageable. It would be a slap in the face if Ash won that league and not DP lmao

Tl;dr Best Wishes had some episodes I would rewatch and even enjoy. But like with all other Pokemon series, I'm probably not going to watch through entire arcs of fillers + stupid Ash being stupid and instead I would just stick to the best battles or something.

Edit: Also, I wanted to say this. JN has cool flashbacks but they are basically just PNG images. Best Wishes only had a few flashbacks (I think Ash's Butterfree got one but it was in Decolore Fillers so I cba to check it out) but Ash's Charizard got a ton of reanimated scenes of its journey with Ash, with the best part easily being getting a rework on its seismic toss animation on the moments with Magmar and its brief montage including Blastoise and Dragonair. What we got with the stills of some flashbacks were better than nothing but I wish JN adopted this idea of reanimating old scenes and polishing them. Like, a 10 second scene of Pikachu and Lt. Surge's Raichu battling for example. Stuff like that goes a long way.

Last edited:
Best Wishes is underrated. Okay it's far from good, think bad Team Plasma arc, writers not knowing what to do with Team Rocket Trio , Trip is just worse Paul, Ash reset, Decolore Islands basically only filler besides introducing Alexa, some gym battles like Elesa and Roxie just being bad, Attract being everywhere, and "you're such a little kid", to name a few off the top of my head. But a lot of the great elements get slept on.

Iris' Emolga is a pretty cute and quirky mon and I would have loved to see how Champion Iris used her. No Pikachu vs. Emolga in JN was a sad moment, I would have liked to see how Volt Switch pivoting could mess up Ash's strategy. I am indeed biased because this is my favorite Pikaclone.

Ash mons were actually really great, far from perfect, but better personalities than the JN team at least lol. Or at least most of them were. Surprising given how all of them took screentime from each other because there were so many in rotation. Starting with the great (imo):
-Krookodile definitely makes a presence whenever he's onscreen. I liked how it really wanted to battle Pikachu and followed Ash around. It basically replaced Team Rocket blasting off in the early episodes too. It gets unusually timid when it loses its glasses which I found endearing and gave another dimension to this pokemon. But seriously the sunglasses made this thing look way cooler than it already was lol
-Oshawott was a pretty good comic relief and was better than Rowlet for me. It's cute, gets scared when he's against a stronger opponent, and literally closes his eyes while using Aqua Jet, what's not to love?
-Snivy had a great attitude unique among Ash's mons in general. She's mysterious and way too intelligent for an Ashmon, and gotsSome great scenes like it helping Tepig get over his old trainer. Emolga and Snivy was also a cool dynamic
-Mid: I liked them but they just suffered from Ash's massive team and lack of screen time. Pignite was alright, overused fire starter gets released trope though. Unfezant is a solid bird mon, but that's mostly because the Skyla battle is one of my fav battles, the aerial choreography really elevated that battle. Sadly the bird got rotated out for Charizard at the end of the series. I like how Leavanny grew more mature and powerful as it evolved, turning from an immature bug to a parental figure for the rest of the Ash team.
-Trash: Boldore, Palpitoad and Scraggy were not very interesting. Palpitoad was especially sad as that thing had an amazing debut episode that also helped Oshawott's growth but spent most of its days rotting in storage.

The tournament arcs sprinkled in between, like the Club Battle and Junior cup were great and showed off the 6-ish recurring characters we got. These tournaments were basically just fun 1v1s with matchups you usually wouldn't expect. Stuff like Trip and Cilan got to battle each other twice in these tournaments, or Ash getting to battle Iris' rival Georgia of all people. I will say it's a bit of a culture shock if you watch this after JN, where Ash basically wins every battle even when it's not deserved. Over here, Ash never wins any of the tournaments.

And I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion as I bought this up and people seemed to like Cameron. He had probably the most emotive Lucario in all of the anime's history, and the idea of him having a stupidly powerful Hydreigon for some reason could have been funny in theory. He would be a lot less disliked if he didn't win against Ash imo. Ash should have lost to Virgil in that league and not Cameron but to be fair the League was far from great and not really salvageable. It would be a slap in the face if Ash won that league and not DP lmao

Tl;dr Best Wishes had some episodes I would rewatch and even enjoy. But like with all other Pokemon series, I'm probably not going to watch through entire arcs of fillers + stupid Ash being stupid and instead I would just stick to the best battles or something.
OSHAWOTT IS ASH’S BEST POKEMON. HE IS THE GOAT. MY FAVORITE!

ShuckFam

Idk if this is unpopular and maybe a lot of people would support these ideas but:

1. Goh should have caught Ash's Greninja to make it relevant again. When they fused, it could be Gohninja.
2. By the end of the series, Goh should have had a full team of legendary Pokemon. I'm thinking Suicune, Regieleki, Mew, Celebi, Entei and Raikou
3. To reset Ash, Goh should have challenged as to an official battle with the above team and won.
4. Ash's Lucario should have been even more powerful. It deserved to take out at least half of Leon's team.