• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

SatoSereFan224888

Dawn should have only appeared 1-2 episodes in Journeys. The Sinnoh pandering was ridiculous. Also Dawn would have watched the final from her home in Sinnoh instead of being at the stadium. She would have had brief cameos throughout the battle.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I mean you could argue her return wasn't optimized as well as it could've been but why wouldn't Dawn get a decent chunk of screen time when Sinnoh remakes were literally a thing, especially in a series that had an emphasis on bringing back past characters (not to mention her partner Pokemon is one of the most marketable mascots of the franchise).

Tobunarimo

Bird-Brain Banter
Ash should have not obtained a Lucario.

On the contrary, I think he should've obtained Riolu during BW and have it travel with him in XY, evolve, and then battle with Mega Lucario to mimic the event in the XY games.

Lucario is a highly marketable Pokémon, I don't see why they couldn't have done it then other than being insistent that they want Ash to have only Kalos Pokémon, especially when the gimmick wasn't on them.

Other than that - I agree, namely because it erupted the whole "Ash has Aura" debacle.

I don't know how unpopular this one is, but I felt that Chloe's storyline really fell off after she got Eevee.

I though the buildup to Chloe becoming a Pokemon Trainer was relatively nice, and I thought the Eevee episode was solid too, but then everything that came after that felt pretty lazily written and super underwhelming to me.

Not unpopular at all, then again Chloe wasn't really a popular character to begin with.

-Awesome Post-

-Awesome Post-

DANG Sham really killing it out there.
Dawn should have only appeared 1-2 episodes in Journeys. The Sinnoh pandering was ridiculous. Also Dawn would have watched the final from her home in Sinnoh instead of being at the stadium. She would have had brief cameos throughout the battle.

Well, they DID have three Sinnoh games to market, and everyone and their mother debate Dawn or Serena as "best Girl"

On that note I guess my unpopular (and perhaps controversial) opinion is they probably shouldn't have made Amourshipping that big a deal especially since they weren't going to do anything with it by making Serena leave.

Gingertail24

I find it weird people who want Ash to stay past 25+ years but then complain about repeated story arcs etc. Can't have your cake and eat it too

No Ash beating Giovanni would not be a good finale for him or TR. Giovanni is irrelevant in the anime. He met Ash and battled him a total of what? Less than 4 times I think. Ash doesn't even seem all to concerned with TR outside of the Trio and that only because they keep chasing him. People only want Ash to beat him because he is the main character, outside of that, the battle would feel soulless

Think about it, major evil organization in the world and the big bad boss gets taken down by a guy he has very little if any ties with. Other than his three lackies

I rather have Trio quit TR or have a character who actually has some relationship with Giovanni to take him down

Last edited:

DatsRight

I find it weird people who want Ash to stay past 25+ years but then complain about repeated story arcs etc. Can't have your cake and eat it too

No Ash beating Giovanni would not be a good finale for him or TR. Giovanni is irrelevant in the anime. He met Ash and battled him a total of what? Less than 4 times I think. Ash doesn't even seem all to concerned with TR outside of the Trio and that only because they keep chasing him. People only want Ash to beat him because he is the main character, outside of that, the battle would feel soulless

Think about it, major evil organization in the world and the big bad boss gets taken down by a guy he has very little if any ties with. Other than his three lackies

I rather have Trio quit TR or have a character who actually has some relationship with Giovanni to take him down
I think it really depends on how they'd connect it. I think a moment Giovanni is FINALLY relevent to Ash's journey would be a good idea, but I think it would still need to tie into the TRio to work.

Like let's say they finally hand over Pikachu to the boss and Ash tracks down HQ to get him back. Maybe this is the defining moment for TRio when they regret what they done and realise it isn't their ultimate goal and are finally made to pick a side. Really part of me wonders if that is the reason Giovanni was held back for so long, outside the one admitedly underwhelming attempt to bow out the TRio in BW. So long as TRio are relevent to the show, Giovanni would likely only work as a final boss.

Another one, but while it sad Ash's tenure is seemingly over, I'm even more disappointed TRio are likely going too, since while Ash at least got a solid run and finally made a lot of big milestones, TRio just kinda got slept on by the writers, it felt like after Shudo left, the creative team only seldom took interest in developing them outside plot device villains. They got some nice stuff here and there, but hardly enough to make a true final song and dance worth of the Team Rocket trio.

Codebox

- I actually liked Misty's temper, it made her flaws more interesting compared to most characters and felt she was too relaxed later

- I actually think Misty did more in Johto and find her potential was more wasted in orange islands

- While the filler is a problem in Johto, I feel people ONLY ever display it on that merit alone without looking at everything else. Filler aside everything else was WAY better than Kanto and OI in everything but humor. It was even the infancy stage of making battles more involved. I also don't think every filler episode was bad if it focused on a MC, their Pokemon or event. Even if i DO see their intention with the non involved filler.

- DP has worse filler and just as bad pacing as Johto, as a lot of filler episodes tended to rehash plots from OG/AG. This is not counting a few exceptions of course. DP is also longer than Johto as a series.

-I do wish people would stop acting as if fans think "Misty is the only good pokegirl" or that she's "overrated", when these are opinions from a long time ago fans still use as if they are relevant today. I hate it when people do this in general. Especially when Misty is actually the most disliked of all the girls nowadays if you watch any Poketubers or common fan opinions.

- I still love May and she has my favorite design of any Pokegirl, however I think in hindsight alot of her contest wins being blatant plot armor hurts her development from a battle perspective. Because battling played a part in how she developed, It doesn't discredit it mind you, but it really feels bad in how many of her battles were just plot armor the episode. Not to mention the treatment in some of her Pokemon.

- Iris, beyond a couple of issues in how she became champion was treated the best of every female companion and suffered the least in terms of bad plot writing or stagnation.

- TR was at their worst in Sinnoh (especially Jessie personality wise) while XY improved on them

-Serena just doesn't interest me as a character and I don't feel a character has to have a crush on the protag to make them interesting

Last edited:

Bendicion

Water Master
May should have missed the Kanto Grand Festival due to missing out on winning her 5th ribbon (even though Harley and Team Rocket were sabotaging her appeals).

Gingertail24

- I actually liked Misty's temper, it made her flaws more interesting compared to most characters and felt she was too relaxed later

- I actually think Misty did more in Johto and find her potential was more wasted in orange islands

- While the filler is a problem in Johto, I feel people ONLY ever display it on that merit alone without looking at everything else. Filler aside everything else was WAY better than Kanto and OI in everything but humor. It was even the infancy stage of making battles more involved. I also don't think every filler episode was bad if it focused on a MC, their Pokemon or event. Even if i DO see their intention with the non involved filler.

- DP has worse filler and just as bad pacing as Johto, as a lot of filler episodes tended to rehash plots from OG/AG. This is not counting a few exceptions of course. DP is also longer than Johto as a series.

- I still love May and she has my favorite design of any Pokegirl, however I think in hindsight alot of her contest wins being blatant plot armor hurts her development from a battle perspective. Because battling played a part in how she developed, It doesn't discredit it mind you, but it really feels bad in how many of her battles were just plot armor the episode. Not to mention the treatment in some of her Pokemon.

- Iris, beyond a couple of issues in how she became champion was treated the best of every female companion and suffered the least in terms of bad plot writing or stagnation.

- TR was at their worst in Sinnoh (especially Jessie personality wise) while XY improved on them

-Serena just doesn't interest me as a character and I don't feel a character has to have a crush on the protag to make them interesting
Yeah I miss misty temper. Kinda hated that it was basically gone by sm. She just felt like the generic nice and upbeat female character like the other sm girls. And it felt like an actual flaw, which I feel the anime has been lacking in a way when it comes to the new companions since AG

Bendicion

Water Master
I actually think Misty did more in Johto and find her potential was more wasted in orange islands
Misty actually received more screen time in Johto than she did in Orange or Kanto developing most right after Ash. She entered more competitions (ex: seaking catching, whirl cup, altomare race) did something big about her goal like entering Whirl Cup, battled more trainers, helped save group couple of times like she get them out of forest in Hoot,Hoot episode or helped to save Pikachu and Togepi from giant TR tank as well some of her pokemon receiving some character development evolving like Poliwhirl for example

Codebox

Misty actually received more screen time in Johto than she did in Orange or Kanto developing most right after Ash. She entered more competitions (ex: seaking catching, whirl cup, altomare race) did something big about her goal like entering Whirl Cup, battled more trainers, helped save group couple of times like she get them out of forest in Hoot,Hoot episode or helped to save Pikachu and Togepi from giant TR tank as well some of her pokemon receiving some character development evolving like Poliwhirl for example
This^ Completely agree. However I do feel Misty should've gotten more. And OI especially wasted this potential.

Bendicion

Water Master
This^ Completely agree. However I do feel Misty should've gotten more. And OI especially wasted this potential.
Yes, OI definitely should have been given to Misty instead. Yes, there definitely could've been more done to flesh out her ambitions and her goals. The fact that she was such a feisty girl with a fiery personality at times but was an ardent water pokemon trainer represented such a unique dichotomy that I haven't seen in any other character.

I see a lot of "Misty being handled badly in johto" why do I only ever hear about how Misty was badly written rather than Johto being like that in general? All three protags are just kind of there in a lot of it, even Ash to an extent, he gets his hero moment against TR and that's pretty much it. I like Johto, but I def think a lot of time spent "character of the day" fillers could have been put to better use.
DP has worse filler and just as bad pacing as Johto, as a lot of filler episodes tended to rehash plots from OG/AG. This is not counting a few exceptions of course. DP is also longer than Johto as a series.
Lets not forget AG was also very filler heavy, and nothing caught my interest.
I still love May and she has my favorite design of any Pokegirl, however I think in hindsight alot of her contest wins being blatant plot armor hurts her development from a battle perspective. Because battling played a part in how she developed, It doesn't discredit it mind you, but it really feels bad in how many of her battles were just plot armor the episode. Not to mention the treatment in some of her Pokemon.
The mistreatment with May comes into play when she herself got too good at contests way tooooo quickly. She seemed pretty much like a Mary Sue type of character and never really struggled much in her contests. It always seems like she passed the appeal rounds without any big problems. I really think that she should have lost in her last Kanto contest tbh, even though Team Rocket and Harley sabotaged her appeal, I still think it was very much unrealistic for her to pass to the next round, when a year or so later in DP Dawn didn't even pass the appeal rounds, not once but twice and she never fell or had any slip ups that May had in her last Kanto contest. Also in the battle rounds, it almost seemed like she always won in some kind of cheap DEM way imo. It really felt like things were always handed to her easily and she really never had to work much at anything. I would have loved to see her fail in some of the appeal rounds in her contests, especially her last Kanto contest and for her to fail some more, so that she could actually learn from her mistakes and develop more as a character.

Due to this mistreatment I really felt that May never really grew much as a character. She stumbled into contests and almost instantly mastered them pretty early on, because of course she couldn't go on disliking Pokemon for the entire season. Dawn, by comparison, really struggled: she went through loss after loss, had to get her priorities straight, and there was a clear progression in her character and in her strategies, as she spent so much time training - on-screen - with Ash. However May was rarely, if ever, shown training and practicing for a competent win, instead relying on luck, "hax", and borderline deus ex machina for her wins. May is the kind of character who opens the episode with "My Pokemon and I have been training extra hard!".

Codebox

Yeah I miss misty temper. Kinda hated that it was basically gone by sm. She just felt like the generic nice and upbeat female character like the other sm girls. And it felt like an actual flaw, which I feel the anime has been lacking in a way when it comes to the new companions since AG
The reason I enjoyed Misty's more feisty and hotheaded temper was because it made her stand out compared to all the other girls. Now sure, it would be dishonest to say none of the girls had flaws (Dawn's overconfidence in DP for example), but I also feel Misty's flaws made her interesting. I LIKE that she wasn't just a do goder/bubbly character all the time, she had a lot of jadedness to her character, I just think the show didn't captialize on those nuances well. Beyond developing her bond with Psyduck in sm, which was nice to see, I dislike how since Hoenn she feels drained of her feisty persona beyond her battle with Ash in SM. As someone who has expressed bouts of insecurities and such with anger growing up, I find its relatable to some degree. Plus I tend to just think having a nastier side feels more interesting. The other Pokegirls may have had better treatment and development, but I enjoyed Misty's personality the most.

The closest for me would be when May expressed a about of egotism in her Bulbasuar's first contest in which it lost to a Lairon.

Codebox

Yes, OI definitely should have been given to Misty instead. Yes, there definitely could've been more done to flesh out her ambitions and her goals. The fact that she was such a feisty girl with a fiery personality at times but was an ardent water pokemon trainer represented such a unique dichotomy that I haven't seen in any other character.

I see a lot of "Misty being handled badly in johto" why do I only ever hear about how Misty was badly written rather than Johto being like that in general? All three protags are just kind of there in a lot of it, even Ash to an extent, he gets his hero moment against TR and that's pretty much it. I like Johto, but I def think a lot of time spent "character of the day" fillers could have been put to better use.

The mistreatment with May comes into play when she herself got too good at contests way tooooo quickly. She seemed pretty much like a Mary Sue type of character and never really struggled much in her contests. It always seems like she passed the appeal rounds without any big problems. I really think that she should have lost in her last Kanto contest tbh, even though Team Rocket and Harley sabotaged her appeal, I still think it was very much unrealistic for her to pass to the next round, when a year or so later in DP Dawn didn't even pass the appeal rounds, not once but twice and she never fell or had any slip ups that May had in her last Kanto contest. Also in the battle rounds, it almost seemed like she always won in some kind of cheap DEM way imo. It really felt like things were always handed to her easily and she really never had to work much at anything. I would have loved to see her fail in some of the appeal rounds in her contests, especially her last Kanto contest and for her to fail some more, so that she could actually learn from her mistakes and develop more as a character.

Due to this mistreatment I really felt that May never really grew much as a character. She stumbled into contests and almost instantly mastered them pretty early on, because of course she couldn't go on disliking Pokemon for the entire season. Dawn, by comparison, really struggled: she went through loss after loss, had to get her priorities straight, and there was a clear progression in her character and in her strategies, as she spent so much time training - on-screen - with Ash. However May was rarely, if ever, shown training and practicing for a competent win, instead relying on luck, "hax", and borderline deus ex machina for her wins. May is the kind of character who opens the episode with "My Pokemon and I have been training extra hard!".
You hit all my points on target. Especially with May. LOL With OI Misty, It always bothered me how this was a season where the entire progression was being out in he ocean. Yet the writers NEVER thought to captialize on the fact Misty was a trained swimmer and had a goal to train water types? Even if say Goldeen lacked in battles, why not show it's characteristics in other ways? Like being fast underwater or some kind of competition that could showcase Water pokemon in different ways beyond battling? At least in johto when episodes focused on her she actually got development with her Pokemon and active battles that weren't gag fights. LMAO

Bendicion

Water Master
It always bothered me how this was a season where the entire progression was being out in he ocean. Yet the writers NEVER thought to captialize on the fact Misty was a trained swimmer and had a goal to train water types? Even if say Goldeen lacked in battles, why not show it's characteristics in other ways? Like being fast underwater or some kind of competition that could showcase Water pokemon in different ways beyond battling? At least in johto when episodes focused on her she actually got development with her Pokemon and active battles that weren't gag fights. LMAO
Yes, I completely agree with you. Whatever Ash did in OI should have just been completely given to Misty. Yeah but she does have some inner growth and competes in more water Pokémon related activities as the show goes on. It’s not much because the OS was solely focused on Ash, Misty/Brock were just sidekicks and supporting characters so they were never going to get much focus individually.

Codebox

Which fight of May's did you find the most DEM? For me it was May vs phantom or May vs Brock

Bendicion

Water Master
Which fight of May's did you find the most DEM? For me it was May vs phantom or May vs Brock
Almost all of May's wins were through blatant use of plot armor. The worst offenders being May vs Phantom, May vs Harley (specifically the one where May's Squirtle fought against Harley's Ariados) and May vs Brock. To articulate further, with May vs Phantom, firstly she uses Skitty who's moveset is comprised of 3 normal moves and a not mastered Blizzard. And her entire strategy was to spam Assist and hope it would work out, then she gets lucky when Skitty learns to master Blizzard at the most convenient moment. With Squirtle vs Ariados, Squirtle was inexperienced with Ice Beam, yet despite this it somehow was able to do well enough to score her the win last minute when the out of control move froze the spider webs? Yet Ariados has the upper hand the whole fight. (Slightly off note, but she once defeated Harley's Banette under the use of Jessie using Rapid Spin and Tackle, two normal type moves. And Tackle was used as the finishing blow!) May vs Brock is even worse, Brock's Marshtomp is completely dominating the whole fight and countering any of Eevee's offenses, even to the point it couldn't use Dig to avoid hits. Then somehow May wins the battle because Eevee manage to get a couple of Tackle's in moments before the timer ended; Despite Brock clearly having the bigger advantage the entire time.
that was her first contest win right? The one where Beautifly fights Medicham?
Yes. Grace didn't show any kind of strategy use like the kind that she displayed when battling Drew and many of the moves May used here were never hinted at being able to be used before (Tackle with a Gust attack protecting it, Tackle with a Gust attack while using Silver Wind at the same time, etc). It's as though she suddenly got better since her last battle. That's poor writing especially since we know that May hasn't had much battling experience. Beautifly being used by May has absolutely nothing to do with her ability as a strategist, as a coordinator, or the ability of the Pokemon itself. When in just the previous episode, Beautifly couldn't use Gust, Tackle, and String Shot at the same time. There was no training after that point and absolutely nothing to suggest that Beautifly could do three moves at the same time. May showed no strategical ability beforehand against an opponent who was shown to be a better strategist than Drew who was leagues beyond May at that point.

VoltTacklingPika

To be fair to May, they turned her stumbling through contests into a plot point at the end of Battle Frontier. They emphasised the skill gap between May and Solidad, even having Scott comment on how May's battling style was similar to Ash's and not necessarily the best for contests. The whole thing even spurred her into travelling by herself.

The battle parts of Contests were always nonsense to me, anyway. Trainers would get penalised harshly for small things, just to up the drama of the fight, only for it to not matter because the trainer trailing on points scored a KO.