• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
Honestly that's probably the dumbest take I've heard because literally a majority of the SM fanbase I've seen and interacted with during my days loved SM just as much before the league aired. Mostly starting from the Nebby arc where a lot of the fandom finally got used to SM, with episodes like Litten one really catching many's eyes
If anything the Alola league thing resulted in casuals and fans who stopped watching to come back and **** on the series lmao
And of course the Alola league win would make people like SM more considering it isn't just Ash winning but being a culmination of all the alolan storylines as a whole
It seems to me these days people are even more triggered Ash won the Alola league coz now they know he's going it's gonna be permanent THIS was the championship that set him on the path to be the very best
Case in point.

iraqmaster

I mean is this really an unpopular opinion tho?

UnovaMaster is one crazy nut and hell of a troll I agree, but naaa he is nowhere near the brain dead person despite that tbh, dude atleast has some sanity....sometimes lol :p

Yeah genwunners and DP stans can be nuts as well, Ive never denied other sagas dont have toxic fans lmao. My comment was towards Serebii only where personally while there are toxic fans of every series, the superiority complex issue and again what I mentioned in my original post issue seems to stem from certain users who had the thing in common I pointed out :p Not insinuating the whole fandom is like that, I myself have gotten tired of so many disingenious Serena and other XY posts cropping up recently

*Looks at the Battlefanatic dude* Ummmm..... :p

Thank you!!
Heck here is one hell of an unpopular opinion:
Sarah as Ash >>>>>> Veronica as Ash

I dont care if she wasn't the OG, for me Sarah IS Ash
If Sarah voiced Ash first and it was Veronica that replaced her, people would likely say the same thing

SatoSereFan224888

I think Dawn is overrated. That doesn’t mean she’s a bad character, I just feel she was nowhere as good or cute as May. I also think she’s overrated as a coordinator. Plus I think PearlShipping is overrated as well.

ShuckFam

Idk if this unpopular but Ash's Butterfree was bumped off the cast because he made Ash look competent as a trainer. I remember that gentleman Ash had the upper hand against on the SS Anne, all because of Butterfree's stun spore. Having access to a Pokemon with sleep powder and stun spore in the Kanto saga was a really powerful weapon. Didn't a successful sleep powder=KO in the league? Ash could have got a few cheap wins.

Sabrina probably would have been much easier for Ash with Butterfree. Blaine's Magmar might have killed it, though...

Squirtle911

Well Known Member
Idk if this unpopular but Ash's Butterfree was bumped off the cast because he made Ash look competent as a trainer. I remember that gentleman Ash had the upper hand against on the SS Anne, all because of Butterfree's stun spore. Having access to a Pokemon with sleep powder and stun spore in the Kanto saga was a really powerful weapon. Didn't a successful sleep powder=KO in the league? Ash could have got a few cheap wins.

Sabrina probably would have been much easier for Ash with Butterfree. Blaine's Magmar might have killed it, though...
Ash's butterfree and pidgeotto were stronger than Misty's Staryu/Starmie only 7 eps into the series.

Squirtle911

Well Known Member
on the discussion of Sarah, I feel that with how long she's voiced Ash she feels like the more definitive role, at first yeah it was hard to adjust but I feel that by the middle of sinnoh she found her pace and kept with it, and I will respect her for that.
She's better now, but still not great imo

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I'm not sure if this is a hot take or not, but firing Sarah for the specials would be a stupid idea. While a lot of people grew up with Veronica Taylor, Sarah's now been Ash for...what, twice as long now? Not only would it be highly disrespectful to just remove her from that role, it would also be disrespectful to all the people who watched the dub from the day she stepped into the role.

Spyro39

Fire Sarah right before the dub special, imo. Queen Veronica Taylor must be reinstated! And double her pay! Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart as well.
If the interviews Sarah has done about Ash's final 11-episode arc or the English website and social media already promoting them are to go by anything, it means these episodes are already dubbed or are planning to get dubbed with her involved. So keep coping.

iraqmaster

I can be rude to who I like! This isn't the popular opinions thread, after all! I make the rules around here...

Because without Sarah, I could watch the specials for a second time in the dub. While I think they are inferior to the original voice actors, I can tolerate Team Rocket in the current dub and Brock doesn't sound that bad either. Sarah is my only real problem, hence why I would support firing her on the same day voice acting begins in the dub. Let her see Veronica Taylor in the booth as Ash before giving her the news...
Ok, that's just distasteful...

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

Gingertail24

Honestly for a long time, it feels like Pikachu isn't even his own character. He feels like he is there just to be a mini Ash without anything distinct without him. This issue I believe started in DP and got worse as the years gone by

It sucks because Ash has got out of development, but Pikachu "development" always seems to boil down to beating a Raichu or whatever. Like he is the mascot of the franchise and Ash best friend. I can't remember him really having an arc

Bendicion

Water Master
May as well, sure she got her arc I guess, but after a while she didn't really stick out unless the show was focusing on it specifically, not getting a lot of interactions or importance unless the story was tailor made for her. This is what I really did not like about her story. It's ridiculous that the whole first year of Hoenn May’s arc barely got started. 50 episodes into AG, and the writers still have made no solid progress on May as a Pokemon Coordinator. Her personality didn't really change much either. I don't feel she has matured since her debut. All that filler hell in Hoenn and she is sidelined along with Brock and Max.

Ryker101

So many of the people who defend the SM anime like if their life depends on it and say they love it like if it was their firstborn would absolutely do a total reversal in opinion had SM not been the series where Ash won a League with the few who did not would certainly be nowhere as dedicated to it and its defense as they are now.

Tbh I’d be lying if I said it didn’t help. I liked SM throughout its run but had a number of issues with it, that the league fixed imo. Like the lack of battles, no clear objective to build towards (outside of Aether arc SM was pretty unfocused, so it was nice having something everyone was working towards), Ash’s team not having much feats, etc. Not to mention all the payoff with Ash vs Gladion, Kukui, Guzma and seeing new relationships form b/w side characters (like Kiawe and Gladion)

If they fumbled it it would’ve hurt my enjoyment of past eps. Bc I’d know a lot of plot threads wouldn’t amount to much. Kinda like how kalos league soured the whole Ash vs Alain rivalry for me