• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

ShuckFam

Daiki Tomiyasu: 'Originally, we planned for Professor Kukui to have a less modest design. He is a free spirit and we wanted to show this by giving him as few clothes as possible. In fact, early design ideas included the professor merely wearing a speedo and nothing else *laughs*. This, however, brought some challenges. We reached a compromise by making him wearing pants but we allowed him to be shirtless'.

Would a nearly-naked Kukui have been accepted by anime viewers? I think it would have, since Hawaii is hot and it's justified to wear as little as possible.

@janejane6178 @cricketlaxwolvesbandy @Ragnarok4 @SatoSereFan224888

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Daiki Tomiyasu: 'Originally, we planned for Professor Kukui to have a less modest design. He is a free spirit and we wanted to show this by giving him as few clothes as possible. In fact, early design ideas included the professor merely wearing a speedo and nothing else *laughs*. This, however, brought some challenges. We reached a compromise by making him wearing pants but we allowed him to be shirtless'.

Would a nearly-naked Kukui have been accepted by anime viewers? I think it would have, since Hawaii is hot and it's justified to wear as little as possible.

@janejane6178 @cricketlaxwolvesbandy @Ragnarok4 @SatoSereFan224888
Daiki Tomyiaso: “We are chauvinists and sexist, so we only allowed men to be naked 24/7 (even teachers at school and teenager students), but women couldn’t wear short shirts, even tho the climate in Alola is hot, so we had to censor it”

Last edited:

SatoSereFan224888

No way!

ShuckFam

Daiki Tomyiaso: “We are chauvinists and sexist, so we only allowed men to be naked 24/7 (even teachers at school and teenager students), but women couldn’t wear short shirts so we had to censor it”
Women wearing modest outfits is charming to Japanese audiences. I personally would like to see a Pokemon region inspired by Saudi Arabia, where women have to wear a full burqa.

I always thought the fan art of Serena wearing a hijab was cool. There's beauty in modesty (for women).

media%2FEcBkHzVXsAMiG0w.jpg

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Not sure if it is controversial, but I was very disappointed to see Ash's Bulbasaur and Dawn's Piplup refuse to evolve.
I wish Clair's Dragonite in BW was the evolved form of her Dragonair and not the first Blackthorn Gym Leader's Dragonite.
I've never liked the fact Pokemon's eyes become swirly when they faint, and I loved how Noland's Articuno, Tobias' Latios and Darkrai, Lillie's Snowy and Lana's Primarina didn't have them, despite clearly being knocked out.

Bendicion

Water Master
May was rarely, if ever, shown training and practicing for a competent win, instead relying on luck, "hax", and borderline deus ex machina for her wins. May is the kind of character who opens the episode with "My Pokemon and I have been training extra hard!

Bendicion

Water Master
Absolutely nothing in May's debut stood out to me. She plans to go around and travel without a care of the Pokemon she'll have. She has a strong 180 within an episode or two, though, and grows to like them... and that is her character development…

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Another mistreatment is that May had no real iconic Pokémon to focus on. Her Pokémon were never used much and you didn’t have that iconic connection like Misty/Psyduck, Dawn/Pipup, Serena/Braixen or Lillie/Vulpix. So her Pokémon were just kinda there without any major connection. Her team does feel a bit too lackluster for Contests. They didn't even include Torchic in one of her Contests until it became a Combusken, most of her Pokemon aren't from Hoenn despite representing the third generation and I think making her team even smaller for the Battle Frontier arc was a poor choice. Leaving Beautifly and Skitty behind made sense considering she used them the most out of her team, but leaving her Bulbasaur behind at Professor Oak's was forced and she ended up with only four Pokemon on her team by the time she left the cast. I wish that Bulbasaur stayed around myself. I didn't think it got enough screentime considering she only used it more frequently near the end of her Hoenn Contest arc. Plus, it would have made the random Venusaur cameo during the Wallace Cup much more meaningful.

Most of her Pokemon had a good amount of moves to make her appeals and battles visually interesting at least, but they didn't stand out much personality wise and not having a strong recognizable connection with one of her Pokemon didn't help matters either. I also don’t think any of May’s Pokémon ever got a spotlight episode outside the eps she capture them. For Combusken her main starter even after it evolved I don’t recall May and it ever bonding at all outside a Contest. The rest of her Pokémon were treated similarly, I also wish beautifly stayed on her team the whole series. Even though May has 7 Pokémon her team feels generally forgettable to a lot of the other girls Pokémon. Serena only had 3 Pokémon but all 3 were well characterized for example.

Moreover, it takes May over 50 episodes into AG just to win her first ribbon. Since she loses to Drew in her first contest she doesn’t win one till the second Hoenn season. That means for the whole first year of Hoenn May’s arc barely got started. By comparison Dawn won her first ribbon around 26 eps into DP. We also then had extremely rushed Grand Festivals where May had entire matches skipped or the Solidad battle which was less than 15 seconds long. This is definitely a huge mistreatment for May's storyline. While she had some good moments prior to getting her first ribbon, it took far too long for her to get that first ribbon when she still needed five. That might have been too bad if they didn't try to squeeze in two Contest arcs in one series and it probably did contribute to the rush pacing of her Hoenn Contest arc.
Haven’t I seen this post before?

Bendicion

Water Master
Bonnie always annoyed me so I'm honestly kind of happy she didn't get to keep Zygard. It would have been stupid to let her keep it as when she becomes a trainer, she would have one of the strongest pokemon in Kalos.

RafaSceptile

At this point all I see this person doing is re-posting the same posts over and over again. Isn't there some rule against this? I'm pretty sure it's trolling because she's not actually having a conversation with anyone. Imagine being so triggered by May, of all characters, that you waste your time re-posting the same posts over and over when nobody cares.
Not the only user doing this to a specific character, yet nobody does anything.

Hydrangea

Just a creature
Staff member
I recommend just start reporting posts. I know the mods don't really do much anymore, but it's better than nothing.
We're too busy dealing with the insane amount of alts you make, Scott.

Sage52

My unpopular opinion is if Ash had won multiple conferences it wouldn't have hurt the anime but helped it. He should've lost in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Unova and won Sinnoh, Kalos and Alola.

You wouldn't even need to change much. In Sinnoh I would've had Ash vs Tobias be the final, but make it so Darkrai was Tobias' only Pokemon and when Sceptile KO'd it Ash won. Heck, Tobias whole design was based around Darkrai so it would make sense that was his only Pokemon. To take it a step further, have it so that Tobias was just an illusion created by Darkrai so it could battle strong trainers.

As for Ash vs Alain literally just have Charizard faint rather than Greninja at the end of XY131 lol.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I usually don't like league bandwagoners, but the M8 really feels like it's better to be watched without the rest of JN. Like, there are no plots or character dynamics throughout JN that are reaching a conclusion there, and you can just pretend Ash's team got enough development to feel deserving of being there. You can easily skip from SM's ending to the M8 without missing anything

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
There is definitely an argument for doing doing an abridged version of the series. I wouldn't go as far as saying you can skip directly from the end of SM to the M8, but you really don't need to watch all 135 episodes of JN. Goh's story arc and Ash's story arc aren't linked in any direct way.