• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Alder and Trip should've gotten appearances during Journeys at some point. It's kinda odd that Wallace and every other main rival got an appearance and they were just left in the dust

Remix2

admittedly, yeah fully non-battle moments aren't as fluid, but I'd still put them above most non-battle scenes from BW and before, partially due to the style being less blocky (or JN for that matter even if that one isn't blocky either). Plus it does have quite a few good ones:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Also this reminded me how hype XYZ ep 1 was back on the day......and also that I wish we had sakugabooru embeds here

Journey animation wish it was half as good as this.

Gingertail24

Said it in another thread but the "XY Ash is a battlebot" comments are always nonsense and just show people don't actually watch the show.

I also think the Mega Evolution Specials and Alain are overrated. Only real standout episode was the blatant ORAS promotion but the last one is ok.
I just didn't like the whole "it was all my fault" plotline. Like it's really easy to screw those up, and they did that with alain

Because if I remember clearly. It wasn't even his fault. He had absolutely nothing to do with chespin coma incident. He just randomly blaming himself in some vague "if I was stronger" bull that the audience is supposed to get invested in. It felt so needlessly edgy

Alain feels like what people criticize Ash for being in XY

RafaSceptile

I just didn't like the whole "it was all my fault" plotline. Like it's really easy to screw those up, and they did that with alain

Because if I remember clearly. It wasn't even his fault. He had absolutely nothing to do with chespin coma incident. He just randomly blaming himself in some vague "if I was stronger" bull that the audience is supposed to get invested in. It felt so needlessly edgy

Speaking of, I like Alain as a character but he is far from a good Ash's rival, he was not even interested in the league and had significantly less rivalry development than Sawyer.

Sawyer >>>>> Alain

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'll never forget Mega Evolution special 4 for being absolutely atrocious in it's storytelling and being extremely mid compared to the kino specials we got beforehand, ruining a beautiful direction for Alains arc, going for the shittiest storyline for him possible and making him bland

admittedly, yeah fully non-battle moments aren't as fluid, but I'd still put them above most non-battle scenes from BW and before, partially due to the style being less blocky (or JN for that matter even if that one isn't blocky either). Plus it does have quite a few good ones:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Also this reminded me how hype XYZ ep 1 was back on the day......and also that I wish we had sakugabooru embeds here
Eh na I'd disagree, esp with BW. Im not saying XYZ didn't have it's incredible moments outside of battles sometimes but still but as a whole overall it really felt janky, esp during so many of its fillers which were also just plain boring at times too. BW to me always felt much more expressive.
Alder and Trip should've gotten appearances during Journeys at some point. It's kinda odd that Wallace and every other main rival got an appearance and they were just left in the dust
Atleast they were watching Iris match. Poor Burgundy, Cameron and Virgil didn't even get that

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Said it in another thread but the "XY Ash is a battlebot" comments are always nonsense and just show people don't actually watch the show.

I also think the Mega Evolution Specials and Alain are overrated. Only real standout episode was the blatant ORAS promotion but the last one is ok.

It was ORAS promotion, but Mega Evolution Act III might arguably be the best episode of XY...

Krackochu

I've complained about Pikachu before, but I'm here to complain about him again.

He should've stayed fat. Not only was that his original look, it was the look that made him so iconic and world famous to begin with.

Sure, the original design probably couldn't convey emotion in the way that the current one can, but why should he have this emotional range!?

Just like Blastoise and Venusaur didn't get redesigns that allowed them to express themselves better, so should Pikachu have stayed in his original design!
Ugh this take is so basic it taste like air

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

That's part of it for me but it's also just not finding him engaging. Don't see why I should care about this character besides "omg he's strong and has Charizard!1!1". I wish XYZ kept him out of the main series.
It was ORAS promotion, but Mega Evolution Act III might arguably be the best episode of XY...
Wasn't using it being ORAS promotion as an insult (generally the remake influence for a given series make for some of my favorite episodes). Wouldn't say it comes close to the best of XY but it was solid. Made me actually care about Steven for one.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I mean, Misty was replaced by May. And then Dawn came and replaced May in 2006. They shook the long established status quo of Misty traveling with Ash.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Atleast they were watching Iris match. Poor Burgundy, Cameron and Virgil didn't even get that
After Chloe, Eevee man getting a cameo would've given me whiplash and the other series side characters didn't really get cameos either. Wallace (a former Champion) and Gary, Alain and Paul did.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
There was a war!?
There's been shipping wars for a while now, my child. It's just that was a notable time because up to that point, Misty was the only real potential love interest for Ash. When she left and AG started, May was introduced and shook everything up. You really had to be there. I was just old enough to be browsing Pokemon fan sites and forums at the time, and it was brutal. Unfortunately, it's only gotten worse with each new female companion introduced. (I am being intentionally dramatic, but it does get pretty toxic.)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
After Chloe, Eevee man getting a cameo would've given me whiplash and the other series side characters didn't really get cameos either. Wallace (a former Champion) and Gary, Alain and Paul did.
I mean we had literal CoTDs from AG pop up, would have liked to see Virgil and Cameron there watching :/