• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
Mewtwo Strikes Back is the weakest OS movie. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, but it just doesn't hold up as well as the others for me. I will always die on the hill that Ash's "death scene" felt extremely forced. Not to mention the English dub really screwed up the themes.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
The french girl was kinda retconnected since in JN Ash barely recognized her and then she never appeared again and she was forgotten in the special conclusion video premiere for the Ash's finale story.

So, unpopular opinion, but real Pokémon anime fans won.
Lmao at "real fans"

DatsRight

The serious Team Rocket from BW >>>>>>>>>> Goofy Team Rocket

The BW series should've been the grand finale of Team Rocket.
While I'm not really set on the current series being their finale, I don't think where they wanted to end TR in BW (Operation Tempest) was a fitting last song and dance for the trio.

I do however think BW's actual end episode was an almost ideal bow out for the trio in an open ended sort of way, where after a few classic styled face offs with the twerps, they're back down on their luck, but still remain motivated that they'll bounce back and get Pikachu some day. A rather good last moment of pathos from the trio after a series they were actually main players rather than just leaving on a whimper.

Really I look at TR's whole BW onwards era and just think it was a shame the show didn't let them get more dynamic development, at least to the level they tried to do with Ash who got some valid accomplishments and deconstructions throughout that time despite his inconsistency. It was especially questionable given they had taken out the need for TR to be in EVERY episode and didn't need them to just be jobbers all the time anymore, especially by SM and Journeys where they were experimenting far more often with other antagonists or just having the heroes run their own plots.

BW wasn't the ideal way to break the formula for the trio but that's because it was all just a random and ungratifying retool. Having them bulk up and have more actual effective involvement in the series wasn't a bad idea if it made for more compelling development and situations. I'd have loved to have seen a series where they start off pathetic villains but actually make some effective skill grinds that lead to some big Giovanni schemes later on for example. They can stay comical, Ash accomplished things while being comical after all.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Team Rocket was such a mood. I'm gonna miss them so much. Like even thinking about that random Jessie moment where she almost killed Seviper because he cut up and messed up her hair (mood my guy first of all) and then ended up getting so chocked in the moment she caught him to save grace.

I can see why people found them over staying their welcome, I guess but they were so inoffensive to me and was on our screens less than Ash that I can't be happy they're going

YelST

Mitsuha Yamano Fan Account
Pokémon never seems to place on anime polls. I imagine this is in part due to not being on Crunchyroll or a legal streaming service in the west, Urusei Yatsura is going through the same thing. Despite that I still think Pokémon is consistently a lot stronger than some of the anime that makes the top rankings and has always been one of the better anime of each season. This season (Winter 23) Pokémon is a top 5 anime for me at worst.
Now the Winter 23 Season is coming to an end, despite the valid criticisms, it's still my #2 this season. (no prizes if you can guess #1) I think Tomo-chan did pick up, but not enough to put it on par with MPM.

Is it unpopular to say Journeys and MPM have been underappreciated at this point? Especially late Journeys and MPM which is still better than most anime out there

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'll give JN this: that moment, during the episode where Goh's Scorbunny evolves, where TR gets mad at Goh because he wasn't familiar with telephone booths.

Really, that was the first time I found their antics actually funny.