• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

Sham

The Guardian of War
tumblr_odblaeTv3E1rsrk2xo1_540.gif

Absolutely ate when it came to the best group dynamics. Nobody has been able to touch this since possibly SM and the only other rivaled one was OS.

Pokeshipper_

BW trio, speaking of their chemistry together, was the best one after OS trio, that was the best one in chemistry.

DP trio was a third one for sure, Dawn goal was for sure more definied and "used" than Iris one, but I think like a trio Ash, Cilan and Iris worked better than Ash, Dawn, Brock, probably because Brock lacked his interactions with Dawn, but with Ash too sometimes during DP.

Bendicion

Water Master
Dawn goal was for sure more definied and "used" than Iris one
Definitely Dawn's goal was also more defined and used than May's too. The fact that Dawn knew what she wanted to do right at the start of DP gave her a pretty significant advantage. It didn't take her as long to participate in her first Contest or get her first ribbon compared to May who took over 50 episodes just to get one. It may sound like a small detail, but that allowed for Dawn to become more proactive with her goal a lot sooner. Checking the first season of DP, it's actually amazing how many focus episodes Dawn has, her first battle, capture, contest, ribbon all come very early on. Having a longer season dedicated to a single arc helps, but even without that by episode 130-140 (average end of a 3-year series) Dawn has shown tremendous character development and achievements and has settled into her own unique personality compared to May's bland personality. Overall, following her arc seems much more interesting and eventful than May's, simply because there's so much Dawn content in DP. Most importantly, she is seen receiving focus even with non-goal related plots - something that was rare in AG.

Bendicion

Water Master
I also want to add how Dawn’s lessons changed her, (in comparison to Mays) she didn’t learn more about the contests themselves but more about herself and her Pokemon and adjusted, as she was more overconfident then through her losses and etc she became more humble which I see as a core characteristic changing.

Bendicion

Water Master
Dawn had a lot more character development throughout the series; on the other hand, May, really did not have much development in her first 50-or-so episodes. What, it took May 35 episodes to participate in her first contest and then 50 to actually win a ribbon? Ridiculous.

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
I guess this opinion is unpopular since apparently since most are for Ash leaving. I think since JN was series full of wasted potential for Ash, he should have stayed around for one or two more gens, in the hopes of him having a better season to end on.

Also I thought Ash's team could have been done a helluva lot better, and not because of little they where shown. Like they should have made it more diverse in types, like two fighting types and two dragon types? give the guy a Fairy-Type for the first time, he should caught one of the other Galar starters, and been allowed a few more Pokemon to keep things fresh.

And he should have been allowed to catch a Legendary or another Mythical Pokemon or two, especially with all those seens of Latias watching Ash during the last eleven episodes.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I preferred how Sarah voiced Ash in DP/BW over XY onwards. It felt like in the later series she voiced him too high pitched

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Over the past few years my beef with the JP version and Shinji Miyazaki's music for most of it waned. I no longer despise either of those. I also changed my mind on how much of an advantage the English dub has over the JP version: it's no longer such an overwhelming landslide of an advantage.

But I feel like the fact that I still like the English dub more, even if it's not as much better than the JP version as I used to claim it was, warrants this post in this particular thread.

Tl;dr I gained lots of respect for the JP version, but I still like the dub better.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Quiet as it’s kept, a lot of people try to blame “the lines of Gym Leader, Elite Four and Champion being blurred in JN” but it was really XY that started that.

I stand by the notion that the battle with Diantha should’ve happened somewhere after his eight gym badge or Gardevior shouldn’t have fallen or had a hard time deflecting its move as much as it did during that time.

Losing to Wulfric (which was unnecessary because he already got his mandatory rematch with Viola) after getting as far as he did with Diantha is jarring. You could argue that Greninja and Ash weren’t in sync but Ash was also fighting Mega Gardevior with an unfinished form. Anyways I’ve discussed this plenty but if the argument were to ever be made, JN didn’t start that “trend”. Every other series was consistent for the most part.

Ash won a close match with Volkner (Gym Leader), struggled a lot with Flint and Bertha (Elite Four) and Cynthia one shotted all of Paul’s Pokémon (Champion). In XY Greninja overpowers Mega Gardevior’s Shadow ball, smashes it into a tree (Champion), loses to a Wulfric (Gym Leader) and then proceeds to never defeat his rival who defeated an Elite Four member.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Quiet as it’s kept, a lot of people try to blame “the lines of Gym Leader, Elite Four and Champion being blurred in JN” but it was really XY that started that.

I stand by the notion that the battle with Diantha should’ve happened somewhere after his eight gym badge or Gardevior shouldn’t have fallen or had a hard time deflecting its move as much as it did during that time.

Losing to Wulfric (which was unnecessary because he already got his mandatory rematch with Viola) after getting as far as he did with Diantha is jarring. You could argue that Greninja and Ash weren’t in sync but Ash was also fighting Mega Gardevior with an unfinished form. Anyways I’ve discussed this plenty but if the argument were to ever be made, JN didn’t start that “trend”. Every other series was consistent for the most part.

Ash won a close match with Volkner (Gym Leader), struggled a lot with Flint and Bertha (Elite Four) and Cynthia one shotted all of Paul’s Pokémon (Champion). In XY Greninja overpowers Mega Gardevior’s Shadow ball, smashes it into a tree (Champion), loses to a Wulfric (Gym Leader) and then proceeds to never defeat his rival who defeated an Elite Four member.

Agreed, I think JN more or less confirmed what has always been an established fact in the universe.

On top of what you said, Gym Leaders always battle at a certain level/range based on the quality of opponent. Frontier Brains were said to be on par with the Elite Four back in AG. Tobias destroyed all of Sinnoh with 1 Pokemon.

JN more or less confirmed that having a certain title might make it more likely for you to be higher/lower than somebody else, but not a guarantee.

And in a way, I like that it confirmed that. It seems more realistic.

I remember the Internet powerscaling arguments when XY aired, and how Greninja became de facto #1 based off those battles, despite Ash’s previous Pokemon also having strong performances. Then SM and JN aired and showed that Mega Evolution/Bond Phenomenon was not the only gimmick, and in fact having gimmicks does not guarantee victory.

Perhaps JN went too wacko and random with its powerscaling (or utter lack of one), but hey, at least that meant Ash finally achieved his goal to be #1 and we can now get to watch Liko and Roy…

Sham

The Guardian of War
Another unpopular opinion kinda. I’m completely fine with Ash’s ending. I was watching an older episode of BW and it confirmed my suspicions.

Dawn asked Iris what would happen if she became a Dragon Master and she simply explained that it’s just a route to take but she’d still progress as a trainer regardless and that’s irrelevant but the key part is Ash agreed with that and compared to himself.

Meaning that Aim To Be a Master was technically correct with just having ending things openly because wether or not Ash called himself a Pokémon Master, he would still want to progress and continue his journeys which is actually what he did. It theoretically you could argue some episodes could’ve been written better but they’ve always stood consistent that becoming a Pokémon Master doesn’t chance much about how Ash feels about himself.

It’s just a path he’s taking as a Pokémon trainer but he’ll always find ways to progress.