• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What are your unpopular opinions about the anime?

Mangoaxe5

Takeshi Shudo's original ending for the anime where Pikachu would lead a Pokémon uprising against the humans who enslaved them would have been an amazing epic ending, and I'm sad that it didn't happen.

Blastmaster

I can't really see XY Ash as a "return" to his OS-DP personality for a lot of little reasons, but one that's stood out to me lately is how he's handled in those childhood flashbacks. It bothers me how he's made to act almost exactly like he does in the present, it feels like they're implying he was just always this way rather than that he actually grew from his past journeys.

I get that a lot of flashbacks tend to whitewash Ash's OS flaws, but in AG and DP it still feels like there's some indication that he's actually changed as a person over time. I really don't get that vibe from XY, especially with the whole bit in the Snowbelle arc about Ash not being his "real" self. That along with how self-contained the series was, it all just doesn't properly connect to his original arc. It feels more like its own version of Ash that just happens to be more traditionally cool and competent.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
I can't really see XY Ash as a "return" to his OS-DP personality for a lot of little reasons, but one that's stood out to me lately is how he's handled in those childhood flashbacks. It bothers me how he's made to act almost exactly like he does in the present, it feels like they're implying he was just always this way rather than that he actually grew from his past journeys.

I get that a lot of flashbacks tend to whitewash Ash's OS flaws, but in AG and DP it still feels like there's some indication that he's actually changed as a person over time. I really don't get that vibe from XY, especially with the whole bit in the Snowbelle arc about Ash not being his "real" self. That along with how self-contained the series was, it all just doesn't properly connect to his original arc. It feels more like its own version of Ash that just happens to be more traditionally cool and competent.
I agree. Outside competence levels, BW Ash is a lot closer to os-dp Ash.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
When it comes to Ash it feels like there is a comfort zone to his writing that the writers never dared to step out on, mpm was the perfect chance for the writers to step out on the comfort zone, but nope they just gotta keep the status quo intact

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
  • Roy is on his way to being a certified icon
  • Journeys gave me major whiplash. I understand people wanting to see main characters “progress” but I hope Liko’s and Roy’s strength stay on the realistic end of the spectrum even if they don’t quite fully accomplish their goals.
  • Not sure why people are praising this series with less than a dozen episodes out and saying it’s better than any series involving Ash. Cornball behavior. This series could get “mid” to “bad” very quickly but otherwise it’s nice.
  • None of the character returns in Journeys was bad and therefor I hope they continue into this series as well. Hopefully it’s not an alternate universe.
  • If y’all don’t understand why Lusamine was wrong and just as bad in the anime version of SM then you’re just lost in the sauce. Just because she wasn’t outwardly mean doesn’t mean she wasn’t neglectful.
  • Project Mew was a mess from start to finish. Low carb Contests look more planned than that and that’s saying something.
  • I didn’t really get that triggered that Liko’s first win was offscreen but I guess I can understand.

Observer

Mostly watching
  • Roy is on his way to being a certified icon
  • Journeys gave me major whiplash. I understand people wanting to see main characters “progress” but I hope Liko’s and Roy’s strength stay on the realistic end of the spectrum even if they don’t quite fully accomplish their goals.
  • Not sure why people are praising this series with less than a dozen episodes out and saying it’s better than any series involving Ash. Cornball behavior. This series could get “mid” to “bad” very quickly but otherwise it’s nice.
  • None of the character returns in Journeys was bad and therefor I hope they continue into this series as well. Hopefully it’s not an alternate universe.
  • If y’all don’t understand why Lusamine was wrong and just as bad in the anime version of SM then you’re just lost in the sauce. Just because she wasn’t outwardly mean doesn’t mean she wasn’t neglectful.
  • Project Mew was a mess from start to finish. Low carb Contests look more planned than that and that’s saying something.
  • I didn’t really get that triggered that Liko’s first win was offscreen but I guess I can understand.

Dude this is the honeymoon phase, and like any new relationship or marriage everything is still new, fresh, and exciting. Once these feelings die down opinions will start to differ and by that point it could go either way, that usually happens during the second year.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Dude this is the honeymoon phase, and like any new relationship or marriage everything is still new, fresh, and exciting. Once these feelings die down opinions will start to differ and by that point it could go either way, that usually happens during the second year.
Well we never had that honeymoon phase in JN

Blastmaster

I mean in terms of his mannerisms/attitude, I'd say XY Ash is actually closer to BW Ash than anything else. It's just that their competence levels were randomly reversed.

It's the modern era in general that really started leaning into the "perpetually good-natured" image for him, like there's a difference between a character who's learned some control over their temper, and a character that just straight up doesn't have a short temper. Post-DP Ash is the latter.

DatsRight

I mean in terms of his mannerisms/attitude, I'd say XY Ash is actually closer to BW Ash than anything else. It's just that their competence levels were randomly reversed.

It's the modern era in general that really started leaning into the "perpetually good-natured" image for him, like there's a difference between a character who's learned some control over their temper, and a character that just straight up doesn't have a short temper. Post-DP Ash is the latter.
It's why I felt SM Ash was a breath of fresh air. He's STILL a drastic character overhaul but he at least maintains some figments of Ash's OS personality at times like being centered around actual character interactions and having moments of being pouty and sarcastic after BW/XY gradually turned him into an autopilot goody goody.

He actually kinda feels like if they developed on the VERY early parts of OS Ash, who was kind of eccentric and cartoony and thought up somewhat bizarre ways to make up for his lack of experience. Also making him still a butt monkey, even if, while still clearly a bit annoyed by it, he's learned to take it in stride by now.

Takeshi Shudo's original ending for the anime where Pikachu would lead a Pokémon uprising against the humans who enslaved them would have been an amazing epic ending, and I'm sad that it didn't happen.
At the very least it would have been a more satisfying ending for the Pokemon themselves, especially Meowth, who I feel like after that ending got trashed, they struggled to find anything new and dynamic for.

Sonnas

I've literally never heard anyone want this ending as it feels really weird with how the show is.

At the very least it would have been a more satisfying ending for the Pokemon themselves, especially Meowth, who I feel like after that ending got trashed, they struggled to find anything new and dynamic for.
I fail to see how that is a satisfying ending for them.

Gingertail24

It's why I felt SM Ash was a breath of fresh air. He's STILL a drastic character overhaul but he at least maintains some figments of Ash's OS personality at times like being centered around actual character interactions and having moments of being pouty and sarcastic after BW/XY gradually turned him into an autopilot goody goody.

He actually kinda feels like if they developed on the VERY early parts of OS Ash, who was kind of eccentric and cartoony and thought up somewhat bizarre ways to make up for his lack of experience. Also making him still a butt monkey, even if, while still clearly a bit annoyed by it, he's learned to take it in stride by now.

I'm sorry what? How did BW turn him into a goody goody? The same Ash that acted like a brat and constantly argued with iris? That Ash is a goody goody?

I'm not sure what show your watching but I can't remember anyscene where Ash was even sarcastic. Heck of your gonna call Ash a goody goody idk why you aren't pointing at SM ash

Sham

I'm sorry what? How did BW turn him into a goody goody? The same Ash that acted like a brat and constantly argued with iris? That Ash is a goody goody?

I'm not sure what show your watching but I can't remember anyscene where Ash was even sarcastic. Heck of your gonna call Ash a goody goody idk why you aren't pointing at SM ash
Yea iirc early in the series he was pretty much clowning Axew with the whole “Dragon Sneeze” thing and joking with Cilan.

In the episode he was introduced with Cilan, he yelled at him and his brothers because they kept talking about everything but a Gym battle.

It really wasn’t until XY and beyond they whipped his entire sass and by SM it was gone.

MunchMunch

I don't like the Aether Family in the anime. They just alll feel so different compared to they're game counterparts and while I normally, don't mind... It felt awful here.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well we never had that honeymoon phase in JN
Yes we did?
Literally every person was hyping it at the start to throw shade at SM, people were excited about the premise, the start was rough but since ep12 everyone was on the hype train, esp with the Visquez battle and things like Ash getting fan favourites and an entirely new status quo so to say
Id say the honeymoon phase of JN started with its announcement and salty SM antis, was fluctuating with the starting episodes and was pretty significant from ep12-the Covid break. After that around the Korrina episode the phase was dying and when we were in the 30s, the constant critcism of JN began in full earnest, whether it was about Goh or Ash's team or lack of a proper narrative.

HZ has a big advantage where it doesn't necessairily need to be compared with the past series in the sense what people expect from the plot to happen and have certain beats and then get mad when it doesnt go that way. With HZ since its brand new id say it has more freedom in terms of fan impositions, but make no mistake the very people overhyping HZ to shade on JN would soon turn on it the minute things don't go their way, its just the cycle

Sham

.....I think the over hate towards Cameron is corny because he's clearly just there to be a dream crusher and this was the first (and one of the two) situations where they introduced him before the league starters and same with Alain. Like I don't care for him but seeing older posts and people being livid about him makes me giggle.

I'm glad Trip's final battle was just a 1 v 1. Like obviously we should've seen more of his team instead of them spamming his ace and him being a one trick pony but it's not like him and Ash had much of a rivalry to begin with. Also ppl calling him a discount Paul is unoriginal and not even true.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
When it comes to Lillie and JN 111 I think I finally understand what Charizard haters feel, Lillie just comes across as this creators pet and it is unfair that she is the only one who gets to have a conclusive ending compared to other main characters