1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What Aspects Of The Pokémon Anime Do You Watch It For?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Genaller, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
?

Choose all statements that apply to you

1. Pokémon battles

84.8%
  2. Ash

43.5%
  3. Ash’s progression as a trainer and person (a.k.a the primary overarching narrative of the show)

54.3%
  4. Lore and world building of the Pokéverse

63.0%
  5. Seeing your favorite Pokémon animated

50.0%
  6. The secondary main characters and/or their goals

54.3%
  7. The Antagonists (e.g. evil teams and rivals)

45.7%
  8. (Both Human and Pokémon) character interactions and relationships

60.9%
  9. Episodic plotlines a.k.a fillers

17.4%
  10. Other (please post what)

13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Genaller

Genaller May 16th 2016 - October 12th 2019

This should be pretty straightforward (let me know if there’s any confusion). Note that I included Ash’s progression as a separate category since there are fans that do like Ash as a character in general but don’t particularly care about his long term growth as a trainer and person. Also note that liking something =/= you watch the anime for that aspect. For example I enjoy many of the secondary main characters as well as even some of the filler storylines, but I wouldn’t count them as reasons for why I actively watch the show (it’s more like I consider them to be “neat bonuses” if that makes sense). Bascially you watch the show for a given aspect if without said aspect you would no longer watch the show or at the very least you would find the show far less appealing than you do when said aspect is included to the point where your overall investment in the show would considerably diminish.

2. Ignition

Ignition Smug Smasher

I chose Pokémon battles, Ash, his progression, lore/world building, seeing my favorite Pokémon animated, conflict with the antagonists, character dynamics, and other (which, in my case, is the humor and the music).

345ash-greninja and Genaller like this.
  3. Dragalge

Dragalge Chief Fehnix

Usually Pokemon is one of my top things I look forward to when watching the show. Specifically seeing my favorites being animated and being on the main cast of a series. Just seeing my favorites being on somebody's team, whether it's Ash's or the side characters, makes me happy. Pokemon like Kingler, Krookodile, and Hawlucha are some of my favorites from Ash's mainly because they're Pokemon I really like while others such as Steelix, Gyarados, Dragonite, Stunfisk, Alolan Marowak, and Tsareena also fall into the same boat too.

4. Genaller

Lol I guess that’s fair. For me (good) music and humor would go in the “bonuses” section.

Dragalge likes this.
  5. Ignition

Ignition Smug Smasher

Well, same here. I still find the humor to be a part of why I never lost interest

6. FlygontheRavager

FlygontheRavager #1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

Honestly, I watch the Pokemon anime for...all of those, really.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  7. Genaller

You know that you’re allowed to pick “all of those” options, right? Your current vote conveys that you do not watch the show for any of the first 9 aspects.

8. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Leader Of The Dai-Gurren

Ash (along with Pikachu too), his progression as a trainer and as a character/person, Pokemon battles, sometimes for the secondary main characters and their goals if I like them enough to be invested in their characters, for the antagonists and their dark antagonistic acts (because good villains and their dark and antagonistic acts are obviously required to make the plot more intriguing, interesting and intense), human-Pokemon interactions or in a more broad sense, the character interactions, and lastly because I really love the core concept of the show, a.k.a., Pokemon, Pokemon trainers, Pokemon battles and high profile tournaments like Pokemon Leagues which of course involves some really intriguing and gruelling competition. These are overall the main reasons as for why am still quite invested in the Pokemon anime.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Pokegirl Fan~ and Ignition like this.
  9. FlygontheRavager

FlygontheRavager #1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

That was the best option I saw. I didn't know I could vote for multiple things. Sorry about that.

Genaller likes this.
  10. Power Up

Power Up ...

I chose the first 3 and the antagonists. Good to see other people take into account how important battles are

Genaller likes this.
  11. Genaller

It’s fine :). I just wanted to make sure that your vote was accurately conveying what you felt.

12. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Gold Experience

I think even those people who hate battles can't deny that battles are very important (if not the most important) aspect of Pokémon. That's the whole marketing appeal of Pokémon in the first place, seeing these monsters duke it out.

13. Genaller

The sad part is that the actual “high profile” stuff like the Champions’ League has yet to be shown; what we’ve seen so far is bascially the equivalent of the “minor leagues” :-/. Hopefully we’ll get an arc/season exploring the “major leagues” someday :•).

345ash-greninja likes this.
  14. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

What also makes the battles appealing is a clash of ideas, skill, and potential being brought out to the max.

15. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I watch this series for everything ash, his progression whether he is reseted or not, his companions, the storylines, the villain arc, battles everything is important, the bland and uninteresting companions will make it boring and them not getting character development will make them worse.

Genaller likes this.
  16. I watch for pretty much all of those options except for Ash's progression, as I've found that part completely pointless since the end of DP.

Satoshi & Touko and keepitsimple like this.
  17. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I don't hate battles, it's just I believe there are other ways to progress stories within the anime. Trying to make every episode involve a battle in some form isn't a good idea, since it means we usually get three or four boring battles for every good one and the show becomes restricted to an often bland formula. Besides that forcing characters who don't develop through battling stunts their role since it's a form of character involvement they can't really make interesting (eg. forcing the likes of Serena and Mallow into really dumbed down battles in all their episodes just to say they've done their quota, usually at the expense of good opportunities for them to gain proper character agency or to flow their episodes more cathartically).

The games have slowly revolved less dominantly around battling (while still having it a heavy element) and more specifically the Pokemon; bonding with them and using their abilities in clever ways. I think the current anime keeps that reasonable balance, having SOME battles, but also more diverse plots which involve the trainer or Pokemon bonding or using their talents in a more unexpected way (with that said I'm among the few that thinks SM's battles aren't awful).

I actually watch the show for Ash, the secondary characters, especially the male companions, and even the damn fillers now, which I would have seriously questioned in earlier days.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    FlygontheRavager likes this.
  18. Power Up

Power Up ...

Put some for none.

Lmao, the games are still all about battling. Battling isn't even close to being a focus of Sm

keepitsimple likes this.
  19. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Well what do you want me to say, that we should make the whole show about battling at every chance, even when the writers can't even keep up to your standards with the amount they have now? You'd rather have crap battles be the climax of every episode when they can write the twerps doing something more developed and entertaining?

20. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Being Human

tbh, pretty much all outside the villains (and even then I'm still hyped for villain arcs)