• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Aspects Of The Pokémon Anime Do You Watch It For?

Choose all statements that apply to you

• Total voters

DatsRight

Meh, while the cast in SM isn't exactly dynamic, I appreciate a lot of them are vibrant enough to drive a plot on their own and make fun if somewhat episodic stories that do the three act structure properly.

The same can't always be said for previous more 'depthful' series where even some of the most dynamic characters were too weakly characterised to hold plots without the usual boring padding tricks like a COTD or a Team Rocket interruption, not to mention the occasional over reliance on exposition to TELL us how much the character has grown. I don't care how much a character has 'matured' if they still can't do anything besides monologue and beat up a jobber per episode.

I do agree this should be more a start off point and SM is too stagnant in many areas, but since many series forget to even add that start off point they sometimes fair even worse for good character driven storytelling.

Character agency =/= character development.

DatsRight

Interactions are a real plus point for SM. I think that's a further shame the teams are so stagnant, because I like what change ups we DO get tend to have affect on the group. All of Ash's captures, Snowy being born, Kiawe and Sophocles' secondaries, they had more distinction compared to most previous series in that they were treated more significantly like a new addition had been adopted by the group and many previous Pokemon got some beneficial new foil or interaction (eg. Marowak's capture essentially being equivalent to getting a hyper younger child that annoys the oldest one, with Kiawe having to become the mediator). I want to see the girls get their secondaries, not just for progression, but so their signature Pokemon can develop from gaining 'siblings' to bounce off of and the trainers can respond accordingly.

While Serena's development is something I'm divisive about, I never minded her having three Pokemon, since it was quality over quantity and the writers tried their hardest to handle them all like one big family (at least until Eevee evolved and got demoted). I find that much better than loads of captures that are treated like commodities with barely any personalities or chemistries at all.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I love watching the show primarily for Team Rocket, but also I love the stories, even many of the fillers (many of my top favorite episodes are not gym battles or league battles).

Hanto

Water Addiction
Pokemon battles, human-pokemon interaction, rivalries and stories of secondary characters. Ash will not progress drastically, so I does not have high hopes for him.

CabochonJaw

Had to choose pokemon battles. I can't skip the leagues. I can skip the other things (what's Stoutland doing now that Torracat is living with Ash?) but pokemon battles, especially major ones, are too cool to miss.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Had to choose pokemon battles. I can't skip the leagues. I can skip the other things (what's Stoutland doing now that Torracat is living with Ash?) but pokemon battles, especially major ones, are too cool to miss.
yeah, this is kinda why one should not skip capture episodes, stoutland is dead

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
I watch it for Ash's progression (which people who don't watch the show need to seriously stop undermining that...), the companions and their goals (I even look forward to the changing of the cast each saga) and the adventure aspect more than anything. I love adventure stories!

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Voted for episodic plots, characterization, seeing Pokémon animated and world building.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I really like seeing the change in cast every series, the new region.. from os till xy I mean, since they changed the formula unfortunately

CabochonJaw

Watched some episodes that I had skipped over. There are quite a few dead pokemon in the Sun and Moon anime. I'm doubling down on my vote though - pokemon don't usually die during battles. Instead, they sometimes get stronger.