• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What attacks are overpowered in the anime?

• Thread starter Deleted member 384931
  • Start date

What attacks are overpowered?

• Thunderbolt

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Blast Burn

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Flamethrower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hydro Cannon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iron Tail

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Frenzy Plant

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
Vine Whip. In the games very weak move. In the anime it's really useful and can do loads of things.

I think it was the most versatile move that any of Satoshi's Pokemon has known so far, but I didn't like when his Tsutarja used it since I didn't like seeing the vines come out of her collar. Something about how that looked rubbed me the wrong way compared to when Fushigidane and Bayleaf used the move.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
More like supremely flexible than powerful. When Bulbasaur used it as an offensive attack it always seemed like just another attack and nothing more. It's when he used it for special purposes that the move seemed better than it should've been.

I remember a few times when Vine Whip seemed extraordinarily resilient, like when Fushigidane was able to stop a falling Nassy using Vine Whip with ease. Either Fushigidane and Vine Whip are just really tough, or the writer of that episode needed a quick way to write that scenario without putting much thought into the physics involved.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Protect is another big one, it's an instablock for basically any move and the anime never seems to bother touching on its drawbacks.
I would made it you has hold still when you used it in anime

Applecorp

Protect is another big one, it's an instablock for basically any move and the anime never seems to bother touching on its drawbacks.

True but even though it can block basically everything it's not a move that's good to use because all it can do is defend and to win battles you also have to attack and inflict damage. It's more of a stalling move that never settles a battle.

How about Night Slash 2.0, I mean, Cut. It seemed to have way more power in the anime than it's around 40 power game counterpart

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I always thought it sucked how Ash's Greninja never learned Night Slash even though it's just a stronger variant of Cut that's Dark typed....

Some viewers have hypothesized that Gekkouga wasn't given that move because its Japanese name is Crossroad Killing, which some believe sounds too violent for the series. I don't necessarily agree, but I suppose we'll never know for sure why Gekkouga didn't upgrade Cut.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Some viewers have hypothesized that Gekkouga wasn't given that move because its Japanese name is Crossroad Killing, which some believe sounds too violent for the series. I don't necessarily agree, but I suppose we'll never know for sure why Gekkouga didn't upgrade Cut.
And remind you that Japanese kids like superhero like super sentai and keman riders .....hell aged fans like idea of heroes are supposed to be pure not inpure .....xy&z do remind me that type of storytelling so it could be that reason why Crossroad Killing is not part of it Move pool in the anime.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Redstar45 said:
And remind you that Japanese kids like superhero like super sentai and keman riders .....hell aged fans like idea of heroes are supposed to be pure not inpure .....xy&z do remind me that type of storytelling so it could be that reason why Crossroad Killing is not part of it Move pool in the anime.

I think the attack name would've been uncontroversial, although I can't say for sure what the writers were thinking. Maybe they just thought that Cut did everything that Night Slash could do, so they didn't bother changing it for that reason?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Is it? It's been used a lot and other than Mewtwo's usage of Shadow Ball in the upcoming episode I never thought the attack was that strong.
No it isn't, it never has been shown as OP like the other attacks mentioned here, it's a normal attack. Mewtwo managing to fire a powerful version of it is due to its power, not the move power. It's the same as in the games