• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What attracts you to guys/girls?

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Everybody who says personality is the only thing that matters has never been with someone ugly enough to stop traffic (but they have a nice personality everybody).
True. I mean I'm not going to say that looks don't factor into what I like (on some base or another, most of us are shallow people), but looks with nothing else to back it up is almost as bad.

Oh, we're actually taking this topic seriously? =P

Personally, what I strive to find is one single quality. A quality that pretty much encompasses sub-qualities everyone admires (including here).

Open-mindedness.

A word so overused and misunderstood. Usually, when we think of open-minded people, we think of a person who has "moderate" views or has no biased leanings towards most things. Some think of it as accepting any new information no matter what. Lastly, some people even think of it as a person who is indecisive on making opinions.

But it's none of those things. Being open-minded is more about the approach rather than the belief, and I have Pesky Persian to thank for that. ;)

What do I mean by this? Over the past few months, I've pretty much learned this secret. It isn't really that important for someone to have the same political or religious ideologies as you. It isn't even important that you both have the same hobbies and interests. It is true that people who share similar activities and beliefs tend to understand each other better, but it simply isn't necessary that they share any of them. What I feel is necessary is that they approach you as a person in an open-minded way.

Being an open-minded person is really about thinking past first base. It's about having the humility to think above your own background and vision. It is recognizing your natural tendencies and challenging them constantly by looking through the world as both "you" and as a neutral observer. It is recognizing that there are hundreds of philosophies and ideologies in everything; even something as simple as waking up in the morning and getting ready for school or work. Regardless of what you do, believe, and value, you can be open-minded by simply approaching the next person and treating their interests, beliefs, and values as valid. It is even more impressive when it is something completely foreign to you.

Someone may not be as big of a gaming nerd as you, but are they interested in seeing what it's like? Do they ask questions about it? Do they try it out? Actually acknowledge and respect your passion for it? Try to learn something from it? Someone may not also be a Christian, but do they still believe in something higher than themselves? Do they recognize the benefits and positive things that come from it? Do they respect and acknowledge what it's done for you personally? Do they understand the idea behind your belief even though both of you do not agree? Do you both see each other past your beliefs..?

People who tend to approach the world and people around them with this attitude likely have sub-qualities everyone wants. Intelligence, honesty, non-judgmental, kindness, flexibility, listening, .. the list goes on. Just about every good quality we want in a mate can easily involve being open-minded in some way.
This might be one of the most intelligent posts I've seen on the internet. There are times when I try to think like this, and other times that I completely forget about it (I mean, Vampire Diaries? Seriously?). But thinking like this, even if it's only 2 out of 3 times, is definitely a good way to approach life, and girls you might be attracted to.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
haha, funny thread. Well nice butt and other features xD If I get to know someone more than it becomes some sense of humor and personality, but at first glance definetly what I said first lol

Zazie

So 1991
Everybody who says personality is the only thing that matters has never been with someone ugly enough to stop traffic (but they have a nice personality everybody).

It's a way of pretending you're a deep caring person.

You see a cute person, but you say how wonderful of a personality they have. It doesn't matter that you actually don't know the person well enough to make generalization about the person personality. Why? Because its easier to just make up good traits about the person based off of the idealized version of that that you created out of your own infatuation.

This really is one of those societal memes that needs to be dialed down a few notches.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
Confidence is a biggie. It really irritates me when the person I'm with is constantly worrying about screwing up. It's kind of flattering at first, but it quickly turns annoying. The time spent away from someone you like matters just as much as the time you spend with them, and when the other person is constantly making contact and always trying to bridge the healthy gaps because they're not confident enough in themselves or in the other person's trust, it bogs everything down.

So, confidence is extremely attractive for me.

To get on a less personal level, a decent body ain't bad.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
True. I mean I'm not going to say that looks don't factor into what I like (on some base or another, most of us are shallow people), but looks with nothing else to back it up is almost as bad.

This might be one of the most intelligent posts I've seen on the internet. There are times when I try to think like this, and other times that I completely forget about it (I mean, Vampire Diaries? Seriously?). But thinking like this, even if it's only 2 out of 3 times, is definitely a good way to approach life, and girls you might be attracted to.
Achievement unlocked
Don't come off as pretentious with unnecessary long posts.

You see a cute person, but you say how wonderful of a personality they have. It doesn't matter that you actually don't know the person well enough to make generalization about the person personality. Why? Because its easier to just make up good traits about the person based off of the idealized version of that that you created out of your own infatuation.

This really is one of those societal memes that needs to be dialed down a few notches.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

Kacho

You are next.
Oh, we're actually taking this topic seriously? =P

Personally, what I strive to find is one single quality. A quality that pretty much encompasses sub-qualities everyone admires (including here).

Open-mindedness.

A word so overused and misunderstood. Usually, when we think of open-minded people, we think of a person who has "moderate" views or has no biased leanings towards most things. Some think of it as accepting any new information no matter what. Lastly, some people even think of it as a person who is indecisive on making opinions.

But it's none of those things. Being open-minded is more about the approach rather than the belief, and I have Pesky Persian to thank for that. ;)

What do I mean by this? Over the past few months, I've pretty much learned this secret. It isn't really that important for someone to have the same political or religious ideologies as you. It isn't even important that you both have the same hobbies and interests. It is true that people who share similar activities and beliefs tend to understand each other better, but it simply isn't necessary that they share any of them. What I feel is necessary is that they approach you as a person in an open-minded way.

Being an open-minded person is really about thinking past first base. It's about having the humility to think above your own background and vision. It is recognizing your natural tendencies and challenging them constantly by looking through the world as both "you" and as a neutral observer. It is recognizing that there are hundreds of philosophies and ideologies in everything; even something as simple as waking up in the morning and getting ready for school or work. Regardless of what you do, believe, and value, you can be open-minded by simply approaching the next person and treating their interests, beliefs, and values as valid. It is even more impressive when it is something completely foreign to you.

Someone may not be as big of a gaming nerd as you, but are they interested in seeing what it's like? Do they ask questions about it? Do they try it out? Actually acknowledge and respect your passion for it? Try to learn something from it? Someone may not also be a Christian, but do they still believe in something higher than themselves? Do they recognize the benefits and positive things that come from it? Do they respect and acknowledge what it's done for you personally? Do they understand the idea behind your belief even though both of you do not agree? Do you both see each other past your beliefs..?

People who tend to approach the world and people around them with this attitude likely have sub-qualities everyone wants. Intelligence, honesty, non-judgmental, kindness, flexibility, listening, .. the list goes on. Just about every good quality we want in a mate can easily involve being open-minded in some way.

Personally, before I even think about romantic relationships, I don't think I am quite an open minded person for friends. D:
For example, I can be friendly and civil, but once I find out the other person has different interest, I find it difficult to maintain that relationship, haha.
I don't even know....

I need to think about this once I am on break... need time to think carefully about this matter

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Tall, tanned, red hair, six-pack. Yeah. That
But if I should remain realistic, I would say looks don't matter. It matters a little, but not that much.
And a great personality, of course. (And I'll stick with the tall part)

Being in love with sweet, funny, giving, beautiful and humble.. pretty much these two girls. Seriously.

They are two of the most vacuous *****s in existence. I really can't dig you out of any more of your debating holes if you're genuinely serious about admiring those two wastes of semen.

****ing hell we agree.

CBA with a list, but if you're a french brunette you're 3/4 of the way there.

Kokonina

*loud tuba noise*

I've always said than people with good personality will be always attractive.
ALWAYS
Its just than sometimes, we cant see it.
The human being will be always looking for perfection, but sadly, perfection doesnt exist
~

Dear Insanity

above average

Seriously.

Severe genital disfigurement.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I am also insainly attracted to guys with Glasses, by some reason

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I really don't care as long as she doesn't end every sentence as if she's asking a question? other than that it's all good.

Rezzo

Occasionally

Open-mindedness.

The human mind can only show a certain degree of open-mindedness, unfortunately. So going by single defition alone, I don't really think that you can get away with saying that.

~Kari~

I like protective, sweet, funny, and romantic guys. Looks matter a little, but it's their personality that truly matters. If a guy has a great personality and is hot, their hotness would only be a bonus. I wouldn't date a guy just because he has a six pack, the guy could be a complete jerk. I don't like guys with a lot of tattoos, guys who smoke, or guys who swear a lot.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
The human mind can only show a certain degree of open-mindedness, unfortunately. So going by single defition alone, I don't really think that you can get away with saying that.
Did you read below that?

Magnegross

peepee ding dong
I like girls that are similar to me. Intelligant, funny, and cute looking. I'm single right now and proberally am gonna stay forever cuz I asked a girl out that I liked but she just said I was weird and walked off. And I thought she was the nicest girl I met before that. :(

Hahahahaha oh god this is golden

And you guys are totally bullshitting yourselves if you say looks aren't a part of what attracts you.

[img139]http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001038191/ugly_person_720917_xlarge.jpeg[/img139]

But in all seriousness, intelligence is a must. Someone who is a good orator and has the ability to cheer people up. Obviously I must find them physically attractive as well.

JSkuls16

For me it is important for a girl to have a good personality. Looks are important too, but not the most important. Intelligence is important too, but they don't need to be extremely intelligent, just enough to have an intelligent conversation with. I also like girls that are pretty and "real" more than extremely hot Barbie-like girls. Also, if she plays video games then that’s a plus. :)

Viviphy

Canadian Bacon
Hahahahaha oh god this is golden

And you guys are totally bullshitting yourselves if you say looks aren't a part of what attracts you.

I thought I was the only one who caught that, I actually laughed out loud at it. The internet never lets me down for a good chuckle.