• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What battle mechanics do you like?

Nave

I absolutely hate Freeze. It's the most annoying hax ever, since moves only have a 10% chance to Freeze, but it literally stops you in your tracks. It's also not really a good status to build your strategy around, because it happens so rarely, which is partly why no one runs Hail in OU or VGC. Meanwhile, Frostbite can actually be inflicted about as much as Burn, and brings much needed balance. It's always been better to run a hyper offensive team around Special Attackers than Physical Attackers, because of the presence of Intimidate and Burn. But now, you can use Frostbite and Snarl/Struggle Bug to punish those teams. In Snow, you have a greater chance to inflict Frostbite, which is an amazing synergy that gives people a reason to use Ice types and run that weather.

You may ask, why do I hate Freeze but not Sleep? My answer is that they are just too similar. Sleep is almost never inflicted by attacks, and can be shut down by Taunt, Electric Terrain, or Sweet Veil. You can also use Sleep to your own benefit to heal status and recover with Rest.

It makes more sense for there to be something similar to Burn, than something similar to Sleep.

Nave

Well, let's see:

1. Frostbite - I very much love this status effect, but I hope it becomes separate from Freezing.
2. Effort Levels - This should DEFINITELY stay, but be altered to include limitations. For example, the 510 EVs can become 510 Grit.
3. Turn Queues - It is very helpful to see the turns ahead of time, but I'm not sure how well it would work in PvP battles.
4. Move Styles - I LOVE THIS. I hope it becomes a mainstay of the series. I love it more than Dynamax and Mega Evolution.
5. Move Pools - I can finally use False Swipe without wasting a move slot. lol I think it's safe to say this feature will become the standard for future games.

DISLIKES
1. Drowsiness - I really don't like this status effect. I'd rather they keep Sleep. This ruins my lovely Yawn strategy.
2. Turn Reset - While it can be easily exploited in the main game, I will agree with @Zadent that it can be a real pain the butt. If it stays, it'll need mending.
3. Status Reset - While it has been very useful, I don't know if I'll like it in a fully open Pokémon game, which I feel Gen 9 is headed towards. It just feels like a free pass for ease of play, and I don't like games being too easy.
Frostbite: I hope Frostbite replaces Freeze. But maybe having both would give even more reason to like Ice types.
Effort Levels: Effort Levels makes sense in a game that doesn't have breeding. I wonder if it could be amended when that returns, replacing the old system. I'd miss the feeling of breeding a Pokémon with perfect IVs, but to be honest I don't really have time for that anymore--that's partly why I play more Pokémon Showdown than anything. It certainly makes intuitive sense that a Pokémon's diet would affect their stats. The old system (where EVs were influenced by battling different Pokémon) made sense on a surface level, but only got more confusing the more you dove into it. I always PC'ed Pokémon until I could have full control over their EVs, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Turn Queues: I think this can return in future Legends games, but the traditional turn based system should remain for mainline games and PvP.
Move Styles: It's pretty cool how you can decide between attacking with haste, or sacrificing speed to unleash a desperate attack that has a higher chance of inflicting status. I wonder if they could work that into the traditional turn based system. Maybe Agile Style could be like priority, and Strong Style could be like Counter. That being said, nothing beats Mega Evolution for me, as far as "gimmicks" go.
Move Pools: Yeah I don't think they'll ever go back to the old Move Deleter/Reminder system.

Drowsiness: I see you're a fellow user of Yawn. My Yawn Umbreon has saved me so many times. Drowsy just doesn't work as well as Sleep.
Status Reset: I miss the good old days where you had to freak out and return to the Pokémon Center every time you got Poisoned. I don't like how statuses go away at the end of battle. Just makes it too easy.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Technically speaking i just hate when enemies get more turns knocking out a pokemon that should have the advantage over them. Double edge can be devastating to when you're on the receiving end more than twice.

PCN24454

Status Reset has been in the franchise for a while so don’t see it leaving.

I don’t necessarily think that Move Deletion should come back but this game honestly highlighted why they never changed it before. There’s not really a point changing movesets often, and there are some moves that you just never use again, so they might as well be deleted.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.

I don’t necessarily think that Move Deletion should come back but this game honestly highlighted why they never changed it before. There’s not really a point changing movesets often, and there are some moves that you just never use again, so they might as well be deleted.
At the least the paralysis and burn status should only be curable by a trainer with items.

This new change can break getting the legendaries if they can break out of paralysis which is usually permanent or possibly escape wake up faster than in other games?

Ryker101

I like the new status conditions. Frostbite is wayy better than freeze and drowsy is fun to play around with. The new battle styles are great and action order adds a new layer of strategy to trainer battles. I also like how the opponent can automatically revenge kill you in trainer battles, rather than you knowing their pokemon before that. Imo ot makes 6v6s more tense and flow better rather than being a bunch of separate 1v1s.

I’m mixed on the stat changes tho, grouping them together simplifies it too much. It removes some of the strategy you would have. But there’s some fun combinations now

Zadent

Thinking about it, there’s One thing I do like outside of frostbite. The system overall is meh to be, but I like how the stat buffs from moves like swords Dance aren’t permanent. Idk how well it would work in the traditional battles, but it did make them a more conscious thing to keep the effect up at times and was something i liked here at least.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm a bit wary at the fact that making stat changes only last for a few turns empowers stall in Singles, which I am adamantly against. Stall-dominated metagames are about as fun as a sandpaper massage. I know they don't tend to balance things around Singles though (despite the fact that like 95% of the game's story is in Singles), so it could happen. Personally if I had to nerf stat boosts, I'd rather see the actual boost you get from stage changes lowered a bit instead. If boosts were changed to 25% per stage instead of 50%, that would still encourage set-up and would still punish you if you allow your opponent an opportunity to boost, but boosting moves wouldn't be as centralizing as they are now and it would be a little more forgiving to newer competitive players, as they're less likely to just lose if their opponent gets off a Swords Dance.

I dunno though, I don't regard the traditional stat boost system to really be a problem.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

Some moves are actually quite horrible to begin with and even borderline useless. Take Quash for instance. It was a TM for three Gens and the move description makes it sound interesting but try to test it out in a Wild battle and it does nothing. There is no indication that you need to be in a double or triple battle for it to work. Similar moves like Ally Switch hints at it being only usable in multi battles. Splash I can forgive for being useless as it is a gag joke mostly used for Magikarp and how it’s supposed to be one of the weakest Pokémon. Flash was rarely used by anyone in battle other than Sabrina in Yellow and Constrict was too weak to do anything even on low leveled Pokémon.

PCN24454

I think the styles with some tweaking could work. Make them cost more PP. Maybe it costs 5 PP to use.
They already decreased the Max PP for most of the moves. I also didn’t find an item to increase it.

I don’t see them increasing the cost.

Zadent

I love that battles rely more on knowing types, making use of buffs/debuffs, and abusing Agile Bulldoze and Ice Shard so opponents never get a chance to move

18 level difference and still barely a struggle
I’m currently staring here like..what are these move choices from Volo. No ghost move and one dark pulse from spiritomb (though it did have cut offensive stats), and then lucario and roserade both against samurott, but no fighting or grass move? Garchomp spams earth power and iron head vs the giratina when it knows a dragon move? I think I saw him actually use only 3 super effective moves: Dark Pulse (weakened), Poison Jab, and Moon Blast. He could’ve dealt so much more damage there. Felt like there were some really dumb/weird AI moves there that I don’t normally see.