• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Berries Are Based On

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
A lot of people probably won't care about this, but I'm a curious person. I'm the kind of person who looks up at the sky and asks, "Why is it blue?" And I do some research and find out that the mixture of gases reflects blue light. In this case, I see lots of strange names for Berries, so I got around to looking up fruits, vegetables, and other assorted things a vegan would eat, and I came up with this.

They're in order of Berry Number. If you come up with something I don't have, feel free to tell me. I want to know as much about what inspired these Berries as possible.

(Also, if a word seems unfamiliar, I've put up descriptions of them at the bottom.)

1. Cheri -> Cherry
2. Chesto -> Chestnut
3. Pecha -> Peach
4. Rawst -> Strawberry
5. Aspear -> Asian Pear
6. Leppa -> Apple
7. Oran -> Orange
8. Persim -> Persimmon
9. Lum -> Plum OR Mulberry
10. Sitrus -> Citrus (generic)
11. Figy -> Fig
12. Wiki -> Kiwi
13. Mago -> Mango
14. Aguav -> Guava
15. Iapapa -> Papaya
16. Razz -> Raspberry
17. Bluk -> Blackberry
18. Nanab -> Banana
19. Wepear -> Western Pear
20. Pinap -> Pineapple
21. Pomeg -> Pomegranate
22. Kelpsy -> Kelp
23. Qualot -> Loquat
24. Hondew -> Honeydew
25. Grepa -> Grapefruit
26. Tamato -> Tomato
27. Cornn -> Corn
28. Magost -> Mangosteen
29. Rabuta -> Rambutan
30. Nomel -> Lemon
31. Spelon -> Horny Melon OR Japaleño Pepper
32. Pamtre -> Palm Tree Nut
33. Watmel -> Watermelon
34. Durin -> Durian
35. Belue -> Blueberry
36. Occa -> Coca OR Cacao
37. Passho -> Passionfruit OR Pistachio
38. Wacan -> ???
39. Rindo -> Rondo Grape
40. Yache -> Cherimoya
41. Chople -> ???
42. Kebia -> ???
43. Shuca -> Cashew OR Squash
44. Coba -> ???
45. Payapa -> Papaya (again) OR Papaw (U.S.)
46. Tanga -> Tangelo
47. Charti -> Artichoke
48. Kasib -> Casaba Melon
49. Haban -> Habañero Pepper
50. Colbur -> Burdock
51. Babiri -> Berberis
52. Chilan -> Ancho Chili Pepper
53. Liechi -> Lychee (Litchi)
54. Ganlon -> Longan
55. Salac -> Salal
56. Petaya -> Pitahaya
57. Apicot -> Apricot
58. Lansat -> Langsat (Lansium domesticum)
59. Starf -> Starfruit
60. Enigma -> Enigma
61. Micle -> Miracle OR Clematis
62. Custap -> Custard Apple
63. Jaboca -> Jaboticaba
64. Rowap -> Rowan Berry

DISCONTINUED BERRIES

Nutpea -> Peanut
Pumkin -> Pumpkin
Drash -> Radish
Eggant -> Eggplant
Strib -> String Bean
Ginema -> Ginseng
Kuo -> Cucumber
(53) -> Carrot
(54) -> Squash
Topo -> Potato

Asian pears differ from Western pears in that they're round and usually yellow. They're from the same family of plants and taste about the same though. I have a comparison under "Westen pear."

A burdock is not a fruit, but a seed. It's those little spiky things that cling onto your pants as you walk. It was the inspiration for Velcro.

A casaba melon is essentially just another word for a cantaloupe. Or was it a honeydew?

A cherimoya, despite its name, is unrelated to cherries. It's a medium-sized light green fruit. It's shaped like a pine cone, except a lot smoother, and it has a pattern much like large fish scales going down it. Cherimoyas are entering popular consumption in Western societies.

A durian is a large tropical plant, about the size and shape of a soccer ball (or football, if you prefer). They're nearly impossible to pick up because of their very sharp spikes. Durians are green and must be cut open with a knife due to the very thick shell. The insides are yellow and buttery in feel. Durians are also notoriously foul-smelling, often nicknamed the "fruit of the sewers."

Horny melons are just as the name describes: It's got a hard outside, a soft and juice inside, and lots of spikes on the outside. They're supposedly sour.

Jaboticaba are relatives of grapes and look just like them. They're enjoyed mainly in Brazil; it's available practically everywhere there. I'd like to try some.

A lansat is a Chinese fruit. I don't know too much about this fruit.

A longan is a small brown fruit with a very large peel, grown mostly in China. They're often available canned; they've been peeled and pitted and are soaked in a light syrup. Longan is also frequently put into Asian teas.

A loquat is a kind of fruit grown on an evergreen tree of the same name. Thy're primarily used by Asians. The fruit is sour and is used for eating and as decoration. I don't know too much of them, since I've neither had any nor even seen any up-close.

Lychees (also known as litchi) are fruits most popularly grown in the Orient, though they're also grown in Canada. They're round red scaly fruits about an inch or 2 cm big. You peel off the skin, which is much like an apple's, only thicker and bitter. They have very large seeds; never swallow them because they're poisonous. Lychees are a popular artificial flavor in eastern Asian snacks; Lychee gelatin, hard candy, and gum are common sights in Asian supermarkets.

Mangosteens are tropical fruits with a very high vitamin C content. They're typically grown in southeast Asia; Thailand is a major supplier of mangosteen. It's a rather sweet fruit and are small and bright red. You typically only see them in Asian markets, since mangosteens have only recently entered mainstream awareness.

A pitahaya is the fruit of the saguaro cactus. Who knows why the Pokémon version needs so much watering...Cactus fruits tend to be flavorless; locals typically just boil it into stew rather than eat it the way it is.

A persimmon is a very sweet fruit, related to the plum. It's about the size of your hand, and ripe ones are always orange in color. The peel is very soft, much like a balloon, and it's very juicy.

Pomegranates are round red fruits, about the size of an apple. They have very little flesh in them; a thin coating of pulp surrounds the numerous seeds; it's all peel otherwise. Because of this small yield, pomegranate juice, jellies, and jams are very expensive. Pomegranates are getting more popular due to their very high antioxidant levels, which can help strengthen your immune system.

Rambutans are a tropical fruit. They look very strange and are immediately recognizable: They're small fruits with very large bright red stalks growing out in every direction, giving them a hairy look (as opposed to peaches, which are fuzzy). They're often made into juice.

Rondo grapes look exactly like your ordinary bunches of purple grapes. It's a specific kind that's most often used to be made into wine. Otherwise, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

The rowan berry is the fruit of the rowan tree, a kind of European evergreen tree. Professor Rowan, of course, is named after this tree. Rowan berries grow in grape-like clusters, and each has a weird "hair" growing from them and sticking out, which this Berry's design is clearly based on.

A starfruit (also known as a carambola) is a sour and bitter fruit grown in southern Asia and Indonesia. It's named so because cross-sections reveal a perfect star shape. Starfruits are often made into juice; the most popular application in Wesern culture has probably been the strawberry starfruit flavor of Kool-Aid.

A tangelo is a cross-breed, much like the boysenberry. In this case, it's a cross between a tangerine and a pomelo, two very similar round and orange citrus fruits.

Western pears differ from Asian pears in their shape: The western pear has that famous shape of a very large bump on the top of an otherwise round fruit. Asian pears are simply round. Western pears also tend to be green, as opposed to the commonly yellow color of Asian pears.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
WOW! You're a GENIUS!

- end sarcasm

-_-'

shooting star

Leaving SPPF! G'bye!
Wow.. Amazing list. Most names are quite obvious, but anyway.

Just one question, what is there to discuss here?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Well, I want to know what the remaining Berries are based on. The designers dug deep for the 4th-generation Berries, and some of them have left me utterly stumped--I can't even make a guess.

Koriinku

Shinx <3
Great work, although some of the names are very obvious.

EDIT: Oh, Lol. Haven't seen the date. Hehe, I apologize for that.

Last edited:

friend to shuckle

you know that list (even though a little unnesecary) must have taken days!
did you spend hours reasearching, taking notes and planing or what.
i mean evryone has tried to name all the berries one lazy sunday afternoon but this is extreme!
i haven't even heard of half the fruits you mentioned but every name i did know you had!

all in all, impressive!