• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What can I do to my wired "Internet Connection".

Rhyle

To start my questions with let me give you a short summary about my situation.

• I live in a small apartment where we just get free Internet Connection. Unfortunately, it isn't Wi-Fi. It's a wired connection using the "Ethernet Cord". I know I can use this cord for the Gaming Consoles, but I want Wi-Fi, for just multipurpose use. (Eg. 3DS, DS, iPod, iPhone and other Wi-Fi compatible devices)

• Currently, I'm using this software called VirtualRouter and it gives me WPA-2 Security Wi-Fi. It can access me to Nintendo eShop, Internet Browser, other apps for 3DS. I didn't try it for Pokemon Wi-Fi events yet, maybe on the Mewtwo event I can try it at last. I'm playing Mario Kart 7 and I can just only play community races and if I try worldwide, it can't connect. Gives me an error. Sometimes, it also is slow and is 'laggy'.

My questions would be:
• Can I buy something to have a Wi-Fi connection? What is it? Where can I get it?
• Please note that I can't access the router. I really don't know how this network things work but a simple instructions from you would be enough for me. I need something that I can plug to my Desktop Tower. Yes, I have a wireless card if you wanna ask me.

Thank you. Hope you guys can help me. If you can't advice or help because you're a bit confused, please feel free to drop me a message. :3 ;454;

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
OK. Currently your Pc or laptop is pretending to be a router.

Besides the method you are using, the only way to get wifi is buy purchasing a Wifi router. I've not purchased one in years, but you can buy one for same price as a new DS game. Many computer retailers will stock it as well as some larger supermarket stores. Online: Amazon sell many.

Wifi routers need to connect to the net via Ethernet Cable. Many will allow several devices (PCs and game consoles) to also be plug in at the same time.

Most wifi routers come with manuals or CD-ROMs explaining how to set it up. Most of them basicly are plug them in, do some set up on every device you want to connect to wifi.

I should point out that you may be violating one of the Tennant agreements if you do install it. However this down to the actual agreement you/partner or parent/guardian signed.

Rhyle

OK. Currently your Pc or laptop is pretending to be a router.

Besides the method you are using, the only way to get wifi is buy purchasing a Wifi router. I've not purchased one in years, but you can buy one for same price as a new DS game. Many computer retailers will stock it as well as some larger supermarket stores. Online: Amazon sell many.

Wifi routers need to connect to the net via Ethernet Cable. Many will allow several devices (PCs and game consoles) to also be plug in at the same time.

Most wifi routers come with manuals or CD-ROMs explaining how to set it up. Most of them basicly are plug them in, do some set up on every device you want to connect to wifi.

I should point out that you may be violating one of the Tennant agreements if you do install it. However this down to the actual agreement you/partner or parent/guardian signed.

It's pretending right now with this VirtualR.

I don't think I'm violating agreements. It's a free internet and besides, I will be using the Wi-Fi for some important reasons. I don't care about spending some money for it, just wanna use the devices to their fullest.

Anyways. Will you recommend me some good brands?

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
You can usually buy router's pretty cheap, however there's a bit of technical configuration involved which may be over your head if you're not technically inclined. You have to do stuff like set up separate IP subnets, configure wireless security, etc, etc.

Oh come on, if the internet is free in the first place, there's no reason why the apartment owner would care whether there's Wifi or not (as long as it's secured with a password to prevent non-tenants from using it).

Or....buy a Nintendo WiFi USB Connector. I have one and they're pretty hard to find these days (I got mine for $60 on Amazon and there were only 4 left. Well maybe they're not so hard to find but they were for me :l). All you have to do is install it with the disc that comes with it and plug the USB Connector into a USB port.

Rhyle

You can usually buy router's pretty cheap, however there's a bit of technical configuration involved which may be over your head if you're not technically inclined. You have to do stuff like set up separate IP subnets, configure wireless security, etc, etc.

I don't think I'm that 'inclined'. Lmao. Anyways, will you give me an example on what Router to get? I need something that can handle WEP security for the lower gens.

Or....buy a Nintendo WiFi USB Connector. I have one and they're pretty hard to find these days (I got mine for $60 on Amazon and there were only 4 left. Well maybe they're not so hard to find but they were for me :l). All you have to do is install it with the disc that comes with it and plug the USB Connector into a USB port.

I heard that it's just for Win XP, mate? I saw one on ToysRUs but wondering if I can use it on my Windows 7.

Fatal

Banned
See if you are able to create an ad-hoc network directly from your network settings in the control panel's Network and Sharing Center. If you can, you might be able to create one without the WPA key and let your DS connect to it. It depends on your computer though.

Rhyle

See if you are able to create an ad-hoc network directly from your network settings in the control panel's Network and Sharing Center. If you can, you might be able to create one without the WPA key and let your DS connect to it. It depends on your computer though.

I created one with WEP and WPA security using that method. Doesn't work tho. I'm afraid to put adhoc network without security. I'm not sure if it doesn't work too.

Fatal

Banned
I created one with WEP and WPA security using that method. Doesn't work tho. I'm afraid to put adhoc network without security. I'm not sure if it doesn't work too.

Why didn't it work with WEP? Original DS games support WEP for online play, so WEP security should allow you to play the games online.

Rhyle

Why didn't it work with WEP? Original DS games support WEP for online play, so WEP security should allow you to play the games online.

I really don't know. I used my 3DS to connect to that WEP. Let me try my DS.

Edit: Doesn't work. I have no idea why.

Last edited:

Fatal

Banned
I really don't know. I used my 3DS to connect to that WEP. Let me try my DS.

Edit: Doesn't work. I have no idea why.

well, there are 2 separate places in the 3DS menu for connections. To play original DS games online with the 3DS you will have to set up the connection in a different menu, if you didn't already.

Go to settings > internet settings > Nintendo DS connections and set up the WEP network there. The screen on the 3DS should then change and it will look like the original DS menu.

If that doesn't work, let me know the error message.