• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What can make the fandom more peacefully?

• Thread starter Deleted member 384931
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Honestly I think some of you guys are just overreacting here including you @KenzeyEevee. From my experience, Pokemon has one of the best fanbases out there. There's always something fun and new to talk about.

I've seen some seriously toxic fanbases where cyberbullying, death threats, racial slurs, random political wars and a bunch of other annoying BS have taken over fanbases. Although all fanbases have some degree of this toxicity, Pokemon as far as I know has the least of this. Pokemon in-general has one of the healthier and friendlier fanbases I know of. Their are plenty of people here who are willing to help out and not look down on the newbies and even though we have our disagreements from time to time, it rarely results in an off-topic hatefest. Some of us even have a crazed amount of love for the Pokemon series but we aren't going to go overly hostile over it. Even though we might disagree, a lot of us come to understand and respect most of each other's opinions. I suppose you got the Serebii mods and admins to appreciate for that, contributing so much in one giant piece of the entire fanbase worldwide.

Last edited:

04n70n10

As many said, unfortunately, a really "peacefully" fandom simply doesn't exist at all in this (multi)universe, for any matter. And IMO things are even getting worse when the major social media arised (but in the golden age of forums thing are not really better per se, and back then i saw many "precursor signs" of today's problems in the various social networks and media like haters, uncontrolled fake rumors, etc.). I think that all of this is not difficoult to prevent... is just impossible, sadly.

Generally we love too much our opinions even if they are beyond logic and objectivity, now even worse becouse we are trapped in our personal "echo chamber". Sometimes we prefer the whisful thinking instead of the crude reality, and so on, this could be a very long discussion.

Anyway, in my personal view Pokémon in general is still relatively peacefull (at least in comparison to other fandom). We can agree or disagree on something, the important thing is to be respecful on each other opinion, a "clash" of opinions is not a bad thing itself but there is no need to bashing/be unnecessarily provocative, we don't hold the truth and many things, expecially in show/franchise/media, are simply subjective.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Taking the topic seriously, I feel as though we just tend to focus on the vocal minority’s actions/thoughts. If you bring up the anime, you’ll likely hear this:
-Was only good when Brock & Misty were around
-Ash continuously losing the league is getting old
-Why does Ash keep releasing his Pokèmon?
-BW/SM are trash, go back to DP/XY
These are just a few examples from a plethora of common complaints from the anime. Regardless if you agree with them, you have to admit that many ongoing controversies are based on such. How many threads have you seen on “which ____ is the best?” and it’s full of bashing and glorifying of their (least)favorites? Or someone asking about how Ash or the anime overall should be handled? It’s not that these topics are inherently wrong it’s just we base our viewpoints on mainly subjective faults that are prone to cause a lot of heated debate.

TL;DR: We focus on the negatives more than we should

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
This is how it's always been. Peace isn't tenable until the fandom shrinks to a very select group, and even then, it doesn't always work.

Ashton Ketchum

Nothing. 2010s ruined fan base forever, and not it near to level of Sonic and Star Wars, in plane of worsens.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The fandom is tame. The real problematic eras were the CyberCubed and MAL eras.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
What are those eras? never heard of them in all the time that I've been a fan of PKMN

This thread is a huge overreaction. The community as of now is fine. The past however...

What are those eras? never heard of them in all the time that I've been a fan of PKMN

I think they’re users who caused a controversy here.

LL is simplifying it a bit, CyberCubed was a bit before my time, but I knew MAL

Really, 2015-very early 2018 or late 2017 was when the fandom was pretty bad. 2016-2017 period probably being the worst. Lots of removal of threads, banning of users, cancerous threads, insulting, flaming...Hell, take a look at the UNOwen's three Controversial Opinions threads. Or the Ash-Greninja wars. Or the many, many Serena threads. Polls was a terrible place.

PAD in general was pretty bad

The fandom is tame now

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This thread is a huge overreaction. The community as of now is fine. The past however...

LL is simplifying it a bit, CyberCubed was a bit before my time, but I knew MAL

Really, 2015-very early 2018 or late 2017 was when the fandom was pretty bad. 2016-2017 period probably being the worst. Lots of removal of threads, banning of users, cancerous threads, insulting, flaming...Hell, take a look at the UNOwen's three Controversial Opinions threads. Or the Ash-Greninja wars. Or the many, many Serena threads. Polls was a terrible place.

PAD in general was pretty bad

The fandom is tame now
I couldn’t even imagine the state of the fourms with stuff like Serena’s “date” with Ash or Ash losing the Kalos League

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I couldn’t even imagine the state of the fourms with stuff like Serena’s “date” with Ash or Ash losing the Kalos League
It was funny! Hilarious! Not so hilarious when people got super mad when they constantly berated the writer of the dance episode with Eevee evolving. >=( OK they shouldn’t have done the dumb tactic of using bait titles but still.

Now before the Kalos League you had many people act like Ash was 100% going to win and that anyone who didn’t think so were crazy. How wonderful. :)

It was not good. Like I said, just sort by most replies in polls or type Ash-Greninja, Serena, AmourShipping, etc in the search bar and you'll have a plethora of examples on the state of this place during that period.

This forum was around 10x more active during XY-XYZ to early SM era and it really showed.

I can't say I hated that period tho, I do miss the discussion we had back then. It was hellish, but the sheer amount of debate this community produced and the amount of vigor put into it is one of the reasons why I like forums so much

Now, it can get pretty boring. You can say all the crap about XY all you want, but it provoked discussion. In all honesty, if Gen 8 doesn't shape up to be interesting I think Pokemon in general is donzo for me

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Nothing will beat the extended flame war that was Ash's league loss. I seriously thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when it came to seeing how many people were in PAD. Yeah, you know the one.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
It was funny! Hilarious! Not so hilarious when people got super mad when they constantly berated the writer of the dance episode with Eevee evolving. >=( OK they shouldn’t have done the dumb tactic of using bait titles but still.

Now before the Kalos League you had many people act like Ash was 100% going to win and that anyone who didn’t think so were crazy. How wonderful. :)

Logically, Ash should have won. Everything pointed to it. Ye I can't fault anyone for being so sure including me. To this day I believe the only reason Ash lost was due to executive meddling

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Nothing will beat the extended flame war that was Ash's league loss. I seriously thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when it came to seeing how many people were in PAD. Yeah, you know the one.
I'm so sad I didn't join until after that happened.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I don't know Cybercubed and I interacted with MAL once, he looked ok to me. At the time, I was discussing only on YouTube, and there was a guy with a Lucario profile picture, pretty sure he used a similar picture here too, got into a nasty argument with me, just because I was joking about Ash wearing Serena's outfit. :(

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Remove Edman9953 from the equation and the fandom tends to be really peaceful.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I have no clue who that is. Any reason why that specific name?
He's infamous on YouTube and he's a hardcore XY lover. Since I watch the episodes there, I'm seeing him making long rants at the comment sections and anyone who dared to reply to him, he will keep going and thrash them as fake/casual fans. I barely comment anything Pokemon-related there anymore, so I just ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.