• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What changed the way you play?

Astrint

Breeding Star
I have been playing pokemon since Crystal came out but i never really did much research into how i make my team, what kind of moves i use, or abilities until recently when i've gained access to wifi with the latest generation games.

Since i started exploring all the things i had been neglecting i have completely changed the way i play the game.

It's just a basic thing considering, but for me, the abilities and hidden abilities have changed my gameplay the most. Before i would just catch a pokemon and level it, really just caring about its type and moves alone, but now i'm more careful about which ability i choose.

The scrappy ability for Kangaskhan, the solid rock ability of Camerupt and Tirtouga. These have made a huge difference in my game play.

Recently, i've gotten into the nature game, still don't fully understand it though and i have only barely noticed a difference between one nature and another. I am starting to be able to spot a difference between one wild pokemon and another of the same name but I'm still learning.

Next i plan to work on breeding but i still have a lot of homework to do on natures and abilities.

So, what in the past generations changed the way you play the game permanantly? For good or bad.

The_UnAmerican_Idol

This... Is my Buddy.
Generation 4 changed my way of playing completely. I bred a lot more and I actually started to play with a team (I used to only use one Pokemon throughout the whole game)

But Gen 5 changed the way I battle, I actually started to pay attention to which moves I use, and I formed a strategy.

Cutty

Forever now
New game mechanics changed the way I played.

Chapatrap

Nothing really. I never really cared about natures or stat's. I remember looking into Stat's in Platinum when I was trying to empty my bag of Irons and Proteins.

I guess I sort of changed in my recent run-through of White I caught a load of Pokemon and cared a little more about the Pokedex but apart from that I've been playing the same since FireRed. Catching Pokemon I like, evolving and grinding and beating any trainer I find.

Astrint

Breeding Star
my goal is to start participating in wifi battles when i get BW2 and I'm trying to learn more to build a good team for battling. That's why i have started looking into the more detailed aspects of each individual pokemon. i want to build a team that can beat legendaries without using any legendaries and i've found that a team like that takes a great ammount of work and fine tuning.

WarpAvP2

Myvotri Varefar
I use only ghost pokemon for my teams. Competitively, casually, whatever. It MUST have a ghost type in one of the two, or only.

In this manner, I focus on my weaknesses, change strategies, and balance my team all around my favorites.

I recently recruited Froslass to my team and she devastates.

I also like to change a move or two that aren't considered "the best in slot" type of sets for pokemon. Like my Mismagius, people think it's stupid that I have Hyper Voice on her. But it works just fine, because I have modified my team to compliment each other with whatever moves the others have.

Oh, never underestimate a max evasion, substituted Jellicent with Cursed Body. She has taken teams out completely on her own, or stalled people to madness.

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
What changed the way I play was learning the effectiveness of items and abilities.

I have yet to lose to a human opponent in an even match yet. (It helps all my friends are incompetent at battling)

Floette

Fennekin
Nothing about the way I play changed too dramatically. I still play for the fun factor. Now I actively hunt shiny pokemon and EV train/breed for competitive battle, collect events, etc. All of this started to happen because I started to realize fun things you can do other than just beat the gyms, restart, and beat the gyms again.

aloquesada

I think the special/physical categorization changed a lot the way i play and the pokemon i use.
A little example is Gyarados... I used to hate it, but now is in 70% of my teams.
An inverse case is Alakazam when it lost the "specialness" elemental punches i don't use it anymore...

aloquesada

I think the special/physical categorization changed a lot the way i play and the pokemon i use.
A little example is Gyarados... I used to hate it, but now is in 70% of my teams.
An inverse case is Alakazam when it lost the "specialness" elemental punches i don't use it anymore...

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
In Pearl I used to make my team all female (cuz girls rule and you all know it) but after a while I decided that the sexes should be equal, though I still do occasionally have more females on my team. My equal teams are on Platinum and Black.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
EV's etc. kinda nerfed up the way I play. I used to be ignorant to EV's and such, but now that I know of its existence, I can't not think about it when making new gamefiles

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I don't think I've really changed the way I play at all. I mean, sure, I've adapted to the new game mechanics, but I still pretty much play White as I played Red. Just with different pokemon and new mechanics.

synthetica

A Failed Experiment
Getting access to wi-fi. Because of the online battles, I learned about a lot of stuff you don't notice/need for beating the in-game trainers.

Astrint

Breeding Star
Getting access to wi-fi. Because of the online battles, I learned about a lot of stuff you don't notice/need for beating the in-game trainers.

such as what?

synthetica

A Failed Experiment
such as what?

Nothing directly, but because at first I was constantly losing (if I remember correctly I won 2 out of 40 battles), I decided to check out the meaning of natures (which I had thought had no impact on Pokemon stats), plus I discovered things as IVs and EVs existed and found out my held items were crap.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
DVs I learned about from the first and second Gen games, kind of simultaneously. I raised an Arbok with an attack IV = 0, and the thing was so pathetic Wigglytuffs in the Celadon Cave were destroying it! Effort points and the system that governs how you raise a Pokemon has drastically changed the way I both play the main series, and raise Pokemon. It's just too pivotal to ignore. Even in-game you are vulnerable if you raise Pokemon not to their strengths. Competitively they become outclassed too quickly. A lot of planning goes into Pokemon with certain IV stats, so raising them with supportive effort points is critical.