• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What changed the way you play?

Vandslaux

Competitive battling.

FireEmblemAddict

運命なんか死人の言い訳だ
The internet. Before R/S, I just played through Pokemon games without planning a thing, catching and training whatever struck me as interesting in-the-moment. When R/S were about to launch, I began to use the computer often, and in turn I began to research information on various video games. For Pokemon, this was the start of me planning teams before starting a new game. Now I always have a set team plan before I start a new adventure.

Kyro13

Banned
Well, before Platinum I was always just playing in-game and not planning ahead whatsoever. When Platinum came out, a couple things happened:

a) I planned my team before hand
b) After watching so much competitive battling on Youtube I got interested in that, so I started EV training and such

Kalosian

So long
Third generation changed my style of playing to become more competitive (for the in-game Battle Facilities). It happened when I was battling in the Battle Pyramid and I lost since my Houndoom was defeated by a Roselia just because the Pokemon I used was so bad. After that had happened, I started EV-training, giving my Pokemon better movesets, and made sure they had the most useful Natures. A while later, I started IV breeding as well. Those changes made it possible for me to win at the facilities, and I have kept that up in 4th and 5th gen as well. I don't regret this change at all.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
When I played Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FR, and LG, I used to restart the games all the time for new adventures and because I mistakenly thought that more restarts = better chances of a shiny appearing. Now I know the value of saving one game for a while to keep good pokemon in, whether to restart other games in or to trade to later generations.

I also used to breed pokemon the minute the daycare center became available in RSE, and I would wind up with a bunch of pokemon with lousy movesets. Now I wait until at least after the E4 so I can breed great moves onto pokemon. Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum were especially helpful with the high-level pokemon after the E4 with great moves.

On the not-so-positive side, I used to play the RSE and FRLG games with the sound on all the time because it enhanced the playing of the game. I also loved the random sounds of wild pokemon. Since Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum I frequently play with the sound off because I detest the bike music in those games. It sounds like a circus. I'll listen to HG, SS, and Black and White's music, but not those three.

Last edited:

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Used to only catch and raise electric and water types in Gen 1 but in Gen 3 I changed coz Swampert was part ground...:p so now my team is variety, nya~

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
When I was younger I would restart my game after I beat it and use the same Pokemon over and over again lol

Now I actually plan my team.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
When I was younger I would restart my game after I beat it and use the same Pokemon over and over again lol

Now I actually plan my team.

I used to restart my games all of the time too, although I would vary my teams as much as possible and use different starters. Now, however, I can't restart my games since everything has so much more value nowadays and transferring a bunch of pokemon to another game would take way too long.

-Nator-

If you mean competitively, man, oh man, you're in for a long road. Lots to learn, but we all have to start somewhere.

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
I suppose the physical/special split started things off, more Pokemon became viable to use as they suddenly had more options and became more varied, which in turn helped with nature choosing.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Well, everyone started talking about EV's etc. and kick-arse stats, and when I looked up my own Pokemon, they were actually incredibly weak! As I have been ignorant to nature etc.

Sigilyph2

Trainer of Champions
When I found about EVs and Natures it totally change the way I built team. Before that, I thought that Level was all that mattered.

Astrint

Breeding Star
When I found about EVs and Natures it totally change the way I built team. Before that, I thought that Level was all that mattered.

yeah, i used to think that you just had to be ten levels higher than your opponent to beat him soundly. Then i realized how dim that line of thought was when i started playing pearl and diamond >.>

But i have been taking everything that everyone has been talking about into consideration and I am still learning. I had no idea this thread would be so popular but I'm more surprised how helpful it has been.

sidrick

Before Black and White I used to play for fun, now with B & W and wi-fi competitive battling I had to do a lot of research in to EV training and IV breeding. Having lots of fun with it!