• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What character(s) would you want to return on the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janovy

Banned
Misty, May, or Dawn, honestly anybody before BW just so we know the writers remember past continuity.
They brought back Dawn in BW so technically they do remember past continuity.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Also her Piplup was referenced in XY as well.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

Also her Piplup was referenced in XY as well.

And in between that, Ash brought his Charizard alongside the various flashbacks from the past sagas. Ash even remembered seeing a Rotom from Sinnoh in DA as well.

Navin

MALDREAD

What I meant is not just a character from the immediately preceding series, but even earlier (so the current 'generation' of adolescents won't remember if they only started watching from last series onward). And specifically in XY, the continuity references have been quite minimal (the Piplup reference).

Pikachu52

I would personally like to see Ritchie return. I liked him because he was very similar to Ash and the two character seemed to form quite a close connection. It would be interesting to see them battle again as Charizard ruined their first match.

JudySpell

Banned
I would personally like to see Ritchie return. I liked him because he was very similar to Ash and the two character seemed to form quite a close connection. It would be interesting to see them battle again as Charizard ruined their first match.

Ritchie was Ash's expy and that's exactly why I hope we never seen him again. We don't need two Ashs.

candichan

Master Division
Why so much hate for Misty, I wonder? :/

She is a strong character, and there is so much more to her than meets the eye. People who either didn't bother to actually watch any of the arcs with her in it or just ship the heck out of Ash and some other girl in the seemingly never-ending throng of female eye candy Pokemon puts out ever generation, tend to chalk her up to a bossy jerk and toss her aside.

I find this very disappointing, because Misty had so much to offer. I know not everyone grew up at the same time, and as such, I don't expect every person who enjoys the anime to have started at the same point. However, I do expect people to analyze a character fairly, and for Misty, I feel like this simply isn't being done.

I, like anyone else, have my hits and misses as far as seasons of Pokemon go, and so I also have my share of Ash's companions that I both like and dislike.

However, that being said, I don't simply say: "I don't like Serena because I ship AAML and because she's annoying." Instead, I say something along the lines of: "I don't care for Serena as either a travelling companion or a love interest of Ash's because I feel as if she represents the typical cutesy ditz trope, the writers just sloppily threw her into Ash's past with a really poorly constructed and barely touched on backstory, and started building her up into a relationship that is literally an exact reflection of how they got themselves into trouble last time they wrote a love interest into Ash's life. Except this time, they didn't even bother to give it any real development. Misty and Ash's friendship, and consequent romantic feelings, were built up inside the series over time and were not a huge focal point of the show, but it was still obvious they were there. When Misty left, it was for two reasons: 1) The writers wanted some new eye candy (which I think is shallow and gross because eye candy is not what Pokemon should be centered on anyway) and 2) They had literally written themselves into a hole. They had made AAML so apparent that they either had to delve deeper and risk Pokemon becoming even more romance-centered, have Ash grow up and replace him with a new protagonist so he could go off and they could pursue their feelings, or get rid of Misty. Well we all know how that ended.

Now, they're doing it all over again with Serena except this time, it isn't even well thought out. It feels like they just threw her in there all willy nilly like 'This isn't exciting enough! Have her have a crush on him or something. And to explain why she has a crush on him, make up some cacamimi backstory. No one will mind. On top of that, make Serena an indecisive shallow copy of May and Dawn with none of their skill or character development. It'll be great.'

That's why I don't like Serena or Amourshipping."

But hey, I went on a tangent there. And I promise it has to do with the actual topic of the post. My point in that long winded rant is that when people talk about what character they DON'T want to see brought back, they don't seem to explain why they don't, other than "I don't like her/him", ESPECIALLY in Misty's case and it ticks me off.

Sigh.

At any rate, I actually don't want to see Misty brought back. Why? Because I feel like people would sell her short all over again and pit in her a silly and unnecessary love triangle with Serena and Ash in an already unnecessary love interest scenario.

Someone I would like to see brought back, however, is Gary Oak.

I've already made this pretty long-winded, so I'll try to keep this next part short: Gary is the only one of Ash's rivals I've seen (besides Paul) that isn't actually a wimp. Yes, I just said that. And it's not that I dislike Paul. I feel like anyone who battles competitively is at least 1/10 Paul-myself included- but I feel like they focused so much attention on his cruelty that they didn't actually give any credence to his skill as a trainer. Gary on the other hand, was a fully fleshed out rival who was an amazing trainer to his Pokemon and was even better at stomping Ash and knocking him down a couple pegs. Which is good, because while Ash is kind and brave and all that other hero stuff, he's also a little thick-headed at times, and everyone treats him like this stellar trainer even though he's never won like anything important and a good chunk of his badges were just given to him. But that's a topic for another day.

I feel like the return of Gary as a bomb trainer (if he would ever shed his lab coat and fight again for awhile) would add some interesting flavor to the series. Plus, it would be fun to see them battle for nostalgia's sake.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If Max ever comes back he had better have a Pokemon since even Bonnie has one.

Max couldn't have his own Pokemon though, as he's younger than 10. Bonnie doesn't even have her own Pokemon. She just has one of Clemont's Pokemon hang out with her. It's like how Max used to take care of May's Munchlax.

JudySpell

Banned
Max couldn't have his own Pokemon though, as he's younger than 10. Bonnie doesn't even have her own Pokemon. She just has one of Clemont's Pokemon hang out with her. It's like how Max used to take care of May's Munchlax.

That's what I meant. He should at least have a borrowed Pokemon.

Shooti

Uber Trainer
Gary, May and Dawn simply because of my personal preferences.
XY needs to have continuity to the past sagas so bringing a few older characters won't be a bad idea for some episodes. Even BW had plenty of references to past sagas in form of Dawn and Charizard, the flashbacks were a bonus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.