• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Characters do you Absolutely Love Writing?

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
As the title says, what characters do you love writing? I've just been thinking about this and thought it would be a fun discussion. This can be canon, or your own OCs, and not necessarily Pokemon either. (We do have a 'Non Pokemon 'Fics forum here after all!) Feel free to elaborate as to why, if you like =D

Myself, personally:

Canon - I don't tend to write canon Pokemon characters, but if I had to choose it would be Professor Sycamore (or my own quirky rendition of him in my dropped 'fic Rose Tinted Glasses (which was never posted anywhere!)) I made him a bit eccentric, with the habit of falling into a heavy Kalosian accent (French) the more excitable he got (to the extent he'd speak fluent French at its most extreme. This would be mentioned in narrative only, because I don't speak French...)

Non-Pokemon, it would have to be Rouge the Bat from Sonic. She's just so much fun.

OCs - Tons.
The End - Enigma, Spark.
Spark was comic-relief and your typical 'eats a lot' character. Enigma was just downright interesting, and I can't reveal too much without being spoilery.

Glitched - N00b. I love my comic relief characters.

System: Reboot - Macro, BackDoor, Widget.
Widget is good comic relief. BackDoor, bad guy or not, had some great quotes.

What? I'm a Pokemon? (Total PMD nonsense parody. Unpublished to Serebii as of yet - I am considering a re-write) Mushu the Emolga. Eccentric, childish, arrogant and snobby. Yet he develops a bond with the main cast as the story progresses. I'll give you a sample given it's not on here:
“Correct!” Mushu didn't seem remotely disappointed. “Next question! What is Mushu's favourite shape?”
Flynn looked at Merry and she shrugged. He sighed and shrugged himself.
“I don't know... a strong shape? A square?”
“Wrong! The answer is circle! A circle has infinite sides!” Mushu traced a circle in the air with his paws. “Infinite like Mushu's awesomeness.”

Have fun with this! =D

NebulaDreams

A Dense Irritating Miniature Beast of Burden
It's a bit hard for me to talk about since all of the characters I use for my fics are OCs, plus there are so many of them with lots of different side characters. However, I can talk about the types of characters I like to write by using a few examples. I really like the kinds of characters that are full of energy, don't care what anybody thinks of them, will do anything to hold onto their sense of self. What makes it even more interesting is if they have another character they can bounce off of, since that sense of chemistry is what makes dialogue really fun for me.

From The Curious and the Shiny, my main fic, Bauble the Murkrow is a minor character, yet people warmed up to her since she has a cheerful, yet eccentric personality, that contrasts well with Shine (Luxray)'s straight-laced character. The character I enjoy writing the most, however, is Curio the Lucario, one of the two main protagonists. She's cocky, fiercely independent and tomboyish, but she has a soft side as well, plus many other things that interest her personally and flesh out her character. When she interacts with Shine, who is usually serious and introspective, that's when things get interesting, because they get along well despite their opposing personalities, but also banter back and forth and don't always agree with each other on certain things.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Clearly I enjoy writing about Mewtwo and Mew, two of my favorite Pokémon ever, but I've enjoyed the supporting characters just as much. Like for Forsaken, I've always looked forward to writing the comic relief, perverted Deoxys because he clashes so hard with everyone (especially Cresselia) and they have to put up with him. It's the same with Giratina and Entei, but really, I think all of the Legendaries in general are just a lot of fun to write. They butt heads a lot, they're always insulting each other and getting under each others' skins, the girls can't stand a lot of the guys most of the time because they're so boorish, but they've yet to want to kill each other in their sleep. It's a family dynamic that I think would be lost if any one of them was taken out of the story or were written differently.

Meanwhile, writing Legion has probably been one of the biggest risk-takers I've ever made, and yet it's managed to pay off. Like I've noticed within the last few years looking back on it that one of the reasons he's so terrifying (to me) is that narratively, I never changed the way Mew interacts with Mewtwo. It's still clear it's not Mew, but I never wrote it any differently than if it was her, and that's why it's scary both to Mewtwo and to the reader because Legion integrated with Mew's movements so well. (Now granted, when I originally came up with the idea, Mew was just going to literally go insane from her powers, but adding in Legion as the source behind that change didn't feel out of place.)

For Handle with Care, the supporting characters are still my favorite, like Mr. Mime and Mismagius, but they're more like supporting characters than those in Forsaken who have to learn to share the spotlight. These characters come-and-go as they come into narrative interaction with the main characters. They have their own lives, their own stories, but as the main story focuses more on Mewtwo and Mew, they're written more like how you, yourself, could come across your own neighbors, with other people. You know more about Mismagius' life than you do, say, Raichu in the story, but that's because Mew allowed her to be a part of her life on a more deeper level, and that's why their falling out was so harsh. Mr. Mime got a bit more focus as of late because as the doctor, he's being granted permission to try and help, but he can't always be there for them, he has other business to attend to.

For a non-Pokémon fic, Encryption is a lot of fun to write due to how vast and diverse the Digimon world actually is. Wizardmon and Gatomon are popular because their personalities differed a lot from the other Digimon in the series, but they don't feel out of place, and Gatomon and Kari's dynamics balance each other out in ways that separates them from the other DigiDestined. So playing around with that by having Wizardmon (the original catalyst) coming back to force Gatomon to find a new balance has been a fun challenge, but not as much as with the supporting cast of characters, of course, both humans and Digimon. Digimon has such a way with writing in having a large cast of interesting characters that I've been trying to implement that myself. It's why I love writing just about everyone in the story, especially when I'm trying to stay true to their dub personalities while keeping to the original vision of the world. But then that meant making everyone snarky, but I guess I can't help that no matter what I write lol.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Canon Characters I like writing: In terms of favorite villain, I made Hoopa into the prankster/ thief he was meant to be. A magnificent schemer that had a mental game of chess with the heroes in his schemes and quick planning were spot on!

I also like writing about Shadow Pokemon, just so I can portray something as vicious/ evil/ tragic as possible, in my fic verse... this is treated as a VERY special kind of evil. With one XD Class Shadow Pokemon I written about... being something of pure nightmare fuel. (A Shadow Mew that got filled to the gills on Nihilego Venom... hello complete insanity of a psychic type.)

I am working on another that is meant to top Shadow Mew and I hope it gives everyone nightmares.
Shadow Deoxys and I seen too much of R-type to know how to make that work.

Another I enjoyed writing is Lillie. Taking where SM left off... I turned her into a badass.
Played a major part in taking down Cipher during its third rising in more ways than one. (Catching Shadow Solgaleo and Shadow Mew.) Become about as powerful of a trainer if not more so than the Alolan Champ/ her boyfriend. (Elio.)
When she was grew to the age of sixteen, she captured a Mewtwo.

When at the age of twenty one, she became pregnant with twins. (Elio became her husband and is the babies father.) and during that one, she took down Ultra Necrozma, kicked Ghetsis's behind and beaten Giovanni during the Rainbow Rocket arc... all while five months pregnant. While still being sweet and caring to pokemon all the time.

OC's: There was a thug I gave a redemption arc to... but he isn't my favorite.
The title of my favorite OC would go to this character by the name of Tammy Lari.

I thought of her up during the Fanfiction Shining Stars. Where most of the plot is Lillie being pregnant during all sorts of crazy things and Tammy started off as a cheap reference to Pokemon Yellow until I thought of a way to add some conflict for a question for the readers.
Would Lillie and Elio make good parents? Most of Tammy's story exist to give that answer.
She was an abused child that kept getting abused during her start in the island challenge. Then Lillie took her in and the rest became heartwarming and character development.

Another goes by the name of Rachael Ocul. I accidentally created what is going to be in the spoiler tag.
Serena if she was actually written well.
Once I realized that, I added another step and relished in giving this girl her own arc... a side character.

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
Some fun discussion here so far! It's been fun to read over =D It's nice to see such a variety of OCs and canon characters, and I do like seeing twists. I don't think I've come across a Mr Mime in a 'fic before! Some pokemon certainly do deserve more love.

I am working on another that is meant to top Shadow Mew and I hope it gives everyone nightmares.

With all those shadow pokemon, I'm guessing you're a fellow Orre fan? ;)

Bauble the Murkrow is a minor character, yet people warmed up to her since she has a cheerful, yet eccentric personality

Agreed! =D

canisaries

sometimes i get a deadache, yeah
If I didn't love writing Red Akai, I wouldn't be writing so many stories about him. I low key really like argumentative writing, and Red takes issue with just about everything, so he's perfect in that sense. The religious texts he reads and his position as a (self-proclaimed) high priest have gone his head, giving him a somewhat pretentious way of speaking and an affinity for metaphors. He's still a modern day teen, though, and isn't above common vulgarities in his casual speech. He's an idiot and I love him.

But how could I? How could I let this go? This baby, these people, these humans and mon… wastes of space, wastes of life. Here they stand, in their shelter, safe and squeaky clean, so far from the unforgiving wilderness they once dwelled in. They used to struggle for survival, now it’s being handed to them on a silver platter. They feel entitled to it. They’re domesticated! Inbred by good times to be harmless, lazy and stupid. They should be taught to fear again. And I should be the one to teach them. I should be the predator to rid the ecosystem of these pathetic slobs. The fearow to dive into this swarm of fat rattata and impale them with its beak and talons.

In Pletora's Story, I really liked writing Cyndaquil Sisi as it was interesting (though challenging) to try emulating the speech and logic of a young child. There was another character as well, but the reasons for me liking writing them are pretty spoilery, so catch that in the below block (if you've already read the story or don't mind being spoiled).

Timburr Mill was really refreshing after writing Red for so long - he's religious and killing people, but feels bad about it and only does it because he truly believes he's saving the world that way. Mill handles the stress of the climax very poorly, stuttering and trembling and trying to convince the protagonists that he isn't a bad guy. He feels extra unsure about killing a child, worrying that they'll wake up from their sleep and feel the pain. If he wasn't killing people, he'd surely be a great guy.

I've always been a sucker for many-dimensioned villains (why do you think 90% of my writing stars a villain protagonist).

There's also a character I'm planning to include in the longer PMD story I'm working on who I think will turn out pretty fun to write.

lucarioknight56

Recorder of Tales
I love writing for Arthus Zoroark in my PMD series, with Unequivocant so far his best incarnation. He is a conflicted soul, prone to evil acts, but also the most caring Pokemon in the world to the few he opens up to. I plan on delving more into his past with my current story, Twilit Destinies--which has been delayed due to a severe bout with brain fog and headaches.

I also enjoy writing Grom Golurk in Unequivocant, with his childlike demeanor and his silent mannerisms. I just enjoy writing silent characters in general, since it leads to me being more expressive with their motions and faces as a result. Grom in particular is fun to use because of his large size and quirky ways of doing things--along with his Groot-like way of saying things in variations of 'Grom'.

And, lastly, Matheus Lucario. He is an old soul with a good lesson to teach around everything--but he had to learn those lessons himself. As so eloquently said by a certain reviewer, he manages to sound like a teacher and that one friend you always want to be with. He's like a mirror image of Arthus, choosing instead to look on the bright side of things instead of the dark, but that doesn't always lead to good results. So yeah, he's fun.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I guess it's not quite the same thing for me since I don't write multi-chaptered stories anymore, but I recall really enjoying writing Daedalus for Tale's Comics Presents! It was basically like writing Heath Ledger's Joker, and it was the first fanfic of a fanfic I've written on this site, probably also the longest single chapter thing I've written on here. I also liked coming up with Octillery DeVillain, even though I didn't really have control over him during the story itself. The little bit of roleplaying I with as him on the thread was really fun, as well as forcing a fake rivalry with Farfetch'd that everyone really seemed to like. A couple of the You's from the Grunt Anthology were fun to write as well. The Galactic!You was so different and you can really tell, my preference of Aqua over Magma was probably on full display during the Aqua/Magma chapters, the Snagem!You was also fun to write due to how I interpreted him and decided to write his way of speech, and Plasma!You turned out really good since the games' story was already really interesting in how they portrayed the villains.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I absolutely love to write about Ash Ketchum and the female protagonist from Sun, Moon, and USUM. I’ve never shipped anyone as hard as those two. <3<3<3

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
For canon characters, I enjoy writing Nanu, Grimsley, and Acerola in Foul Play a lot. Acerola has this charming and cute personlity that won me over while Nanu and Grimsley's interactions with each other and other characters are fun to bounce off with.

Professor Kukui and Guzma in New Paths are also fun, writing out how they're both similar but also so different. Kukui already appeared in Foul Play and I plan for Guzma to probably appear also, so I'm excited for that.

Officer Jenny from Nothing, Everything I think counts too since the Officer Jenny's are well known in anime canon. But yeah, she has a high ophinion on justice while also having a more silly and fun personality compare to the two other main characters.

I also wrote a lot of canon characters in other series, but that would be too long of a list haha.

For OCs, Jacob from Nothing, Everything was fun. Having him trying to run away from his crime was a wild ride, an I enjoyed writing out his more passoniate side towards history.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Ohh, characters we like to write about and their archetypes and all that?! Goodness, hang on, let me get my paltry set of characters to work with...

Okay but seriously, I really do have a ton of characters, but I obviously enjoy writing some more than others. But rather than make references to them by name only (as that's just going to confuse people who never read my work) I'll introduce them instead by their base.

Canon characters - Yeah uh about that, I... might be in a bit of a unique spot in that I don't think I've ever written a canon character before! Not even Guildmaster Wigglytuff, or Hero of Time Grovyle, or anything like that. Nope! All canon for me. Part of me hesitates to do this because I respect the canon too toy with established characters. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

That being said, you can probably deduce from what I say below the sort of canon characters I'd enjoy.

OCs and archetypes:

The Pollyanna in Distress - This is a character who has an optimistic outlook on life and generally does everything to their fullest, all in the name of good. They aren't perfect--nobody is--but they do their best to help others. And when things go bad... perhaps they force a smile and try to tough it out. But the darker things become around them, will cracks form? Will they pull through? What support do they have? The biggest example of this is my main character, Charmander Owen. A lot of characters comment on the "light in his eyes"--I mean heck, even Necrozma in MMM commented on it! But it's what happens to that light over the course of the story that really makes Owen's character fun to write.

The Deconstructed Cloud-Cuckoolander - This one is incredibly tricky to write. This is a character who is weird, does weird things, acts strangely, and in general seems to be in a different world than everyone around them. This can go anywhere from "He's a little quirky" to "He probably should be put in a ward." However, while those traits alone can make for something entertaining in the short term and in small doses, what really does it for me is when this character is actually looked at in a more meaningful way. Why do they act this way? How do others react? If this person is in any sort of significant position, how do others deal with their quirks? More importantly, what happens when someone puts them in a situation where those quirks aren't helpful? Can they be serious? If they become serious, is that their true selves? Or is that them trying to be normal? Who are they, really? The biggest example of this is Goodra Anam, the Head of the Thousand Hearts Association--and, therefore, Owen's boss of bosses.

The Flawed God - Perhaps even trickier to write without messing with the narrative, and even more situational, is someone who is in a position of great, unparalleled, or otherwise "nobody higher" power, who is in over their head. Someone who is expected to do a lot, but can do little. Or perhaps someone who wants to do a lot, but fails at doing so effectively. The Flawed God is a character that makes mistakes like any other person, and perhaps could even act out of malice or some other non-virtuous trait, but due to their great power and influence, their mistakes and misjudgments have sweeping, catastrophic results for everyone involved. And they have to face those consequences. The character that fits this role is Mew Star.

The Only Sane 'Mon - That's it. Just some guy. There is little or nothing that sets him apart on the grand scale compared to everyone else around him. For some reason or another, he gets caught up in the plot that all the other characters are immersed in, but as an "outside perspective," suddenly he becomes a second audience surrogate, pointing out everything wrong with what is happening out of context. While easy to play for humor, you can also deconstruct this and use this character as an anchor to sanity for everyone else. The character who I use for this is, at first, Owen, in a way. That doesn't last as the plot pulls him in. After that...? Well... I haven't gotten there yet.

The One-Line Wonder - Brevity is the soul of wit. Which means Hands of Creation is stupid, but let's ignore that for a second. This is the character who rarely speaks. Not never speaks... but rarely speaks. And when they do, it's just one line, or perhaps, at most, a few sentences. They're a sniper of words. Every line holds some sort of weight, or some sort of intent. Their presence does the talking otherwise. While I've regrettably not been able to utilize her as much as I would have liked (future edits will probably rectify this) the best example I have here is Chikorita Mispy.

I think that's enough... I feel like I've rambled way too much. And I have too many characters to choose from. These are the ones that popped into my head first, though. I guess after a while, a lot of my characters sorta grow on me... I mean, I suppose that's how things should be, ideally. So it works out!

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
I have been mainly writing fan fics based off of the Pokémon anime. I throughly enjoy writing about the Team Rocket trio (Jessie, James, and Meowth). I love finding out ways for them to get into trouble as they always seem to do. Plus, it kind of helps that they are some of my favorite characters from Pokémon and that I do like writing about the antagonists in general in stories. They all have such fitting personalities between each other and even though they have their moments, they make a great team! That's another reason why I love writing about this trio!

Another character from the Pokémon anime that I enjoy writing about is Gary Oak. Man! There's just so many fan fics I could write about him! There are plenty of things about Gary that weren't really mentioned in the anime.

Like, what was he doing when Ash was traveling in the Orange Islands? What about his Eevee evolving into Umbreon? Surely they had to have had a strong bond. And better yet, what about his adventures as a Pokémon researcher? If, hypothetically speaking of course, Pokémon would end, I could totally see Gary taking over his grandfather's lab. I could write a fan fic based on that too!

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
I practically love writing about the classic Trio (Ash-Misty-Brock). I felt they had the potential to be more and do more than what the real show did with them. So in the anime remix series I'm writing, they actually have goals to shoot for (Misty competes in the Pokethlon, and Brock competes in a musician/storyteller's competition.).

Lately, they've been joined by Serena (XY heroine, because I felt her character development could've been handled so much better. In my remixed XY, she was Ash's childhood friend until she moved away to Kalos. This sets up for a joyous reunion when Ash gets to Kalos.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don't write all that much, but the easiest two for me to write are Bonnie and Squishy, hands-down. Their dynamic is perfect and they bounce off each other so well.