• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What characters have let you down?

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
what anime characters looked very promising when they first appeared, but ended up disappointing you, either due to their lack of focus later on, becoming weaker compared to other characters, developing a sucky personality, or whatever?

One that's on my mind right now is Tailmon (Digimon Adventure). When she first appeared, she kicked some serious ass, giving a beating to about 4 or 5 of the kids' Digimon in their Adult forms. Later on, however, that strength seemed to diminish. When she evolved into her Perfect form, Angewomon, her strength seemed about equal to the other Perfects (sure, she killed off Vamdemon the first time, but that was probably because she acted as some sort of medium to combine everyone's attacks)... conversely, one could say she was Angemon's equal (Patamon's evolutions, likewise, seemed to suffer come 02, which I'll get into in a bit, but they still seemed pretty powerful all throughout Adventure), and considering Angemon is an Adult (one that proved to be far above the others, but still an Adult nonetheless), and Tailmon was already pretty extraordinary in her own Adult form, that really doesn't sound like much of an upgrade.

02 got even worse. Sure, she lost her Holy Ring, but couldn't she have been brought down to a typical Adult level at least? Without the Holy Ring, she seemed about as useless in her regular form as the other Child levels, and don't get me started on the movie. She evolves to her friggin' Ultimate form, along with Patamon (though, it kinda comes out of nowhere, Angemon and Angewomon acting like they always had that ability... yes, even in the Japanese version -_-), and what do they do? They're only there for about 10 seconds to create the Golden Digimentals, get offed by Cherubimon, and then let newly-premiered golden armor evolutions kick his ass (ah, the wonders of advertisement). Honestly, from Angemon and Tailmon's first appearance, you'd expect them to become friggin' gods should they ever reach ever their final forms. They end up becoming one of the few Digimon to do so, and they turn out to be crap, complete and utter crap only there for the purpose of a plot device -_-.

Last edited:
Agreed on Tailmon, though she's my favorite Digimon. Seraphimon and Holydramon just came out of nowhere, confusing the heck out of most fans. At least we got to see Holydramon at all(Tailmon evolving into a fluffy dragon as an Ultimate. what were the chances?).

Speaking of 02, older Takeru was too evil-hating for my taste. Sure it was character development, and yes Angemon got killed the previous season. But this amount of hate is usually on the emo level nowadays, and it's just downright scary to see him like that.

I'm also calling out Hikari for the Dagomon ep. While not as serious as Takeru's situation was, it seemed she wanted to live up to her brother's reputation in the original. Does she seem like important leader material to you? Didn't think so, and thank god for Takeru to snap her out of it.:p

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Misa from Death Note instantly springs to my mind. I remember when she was first introduced I thought, "A somewhat obsessive, potentially crazy, intelligent girl that can stir up the plot? Possibly a strong female in a shounen story as well? I can dig it." Then she's becomes this annoying twit who has zero depth that can only recite "Light-o, Light-o~!" over and over again. Considering that Madhouse is going for a pretty faithful adaption of the Death Note manga, her character is simply going to get worse.

I suppose Shion from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (soon to be released this summer by Geneon under the title When They Cry - Higurashi) also falls under that category. The fifth arc in the series just dragged on and she became flat and repetetive... of course, half of the series is really good (the first, second, and fourth arcs) and the other half of the series is just lackluster and disappointing (third, fifth, and sixth arcs).

Oh, and I can't forget Last Exile. The characterization in that just went screwball in that one. During the middle of the story every single female and Dio (as far as I saw him, at least) on the Silvana wanted to get in Claus' freakin' pants, and the whole plot just meanders during that time. The cast is a mix bag of good archetypal characterization with some shoddy and lazy attempts at creating personalities. Claus has to be one of the most uninteresting male leads that I've seen in any anime. I'd love someone to convince me otherwise, though, since Last Exile is the kind of story that I'd loved to hold in high esteem... but I can't bring myself to do that.

Zatch Bell and his intentions!, after the show got soooooooooo tedious and redundant during the Zofis arc. Even Wonrei let me down! He was one of my best characters in Mamodo Battles. He was so harsh in ep. 71, I lost respect for him!

Ridley-X4

UN-LTD AWESOME WORKS
Eh, Jung was pretty hot in Gunbuster, but she needed more airtime.