• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What could be done to make Ash more interesting (other than winning a league)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
Most of us, as I can see, aren't allthat interested in Ash. Whether you lost interest in him in BW, or an earlier saga, most of us at least seem to agree that he's not that great.

So, what make him a better character (not trainer) to you?

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
No regressions, winning a league, not making rookie mistakes, evolve all his plushiemons including Pikachu, there's probably more lol
Also he should actually try some of Paul's methods and strategies, because Paul is one of the best ordinary trainers in the anime, apart from the elite 4 members, Brandon, and the champions.

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
This is just for me, and I speak for nobody else but myself. Make him more like his AG self, mature but he knows how to have fun and inspires trainers the right way. Give him new Pokemon. I'm sorry but I am sick of Grass, Fire, Water, and Flying Pokemon every region. It's worse when they are the Starters. More creative teams. Have a Poison, Dark, Dragon, Steel, and Rock Pokemon one region, and then next region have a Grass, Flying, Ghost, Psychic, hybrid Pokemon the next. With so many Pokemon types, it's boring to see the main character get the exact same types of Pokemon over and over again, teaching them moves like Aqua Jet, Flamethrower, and junk that his reserves already know at Oak's lab and they do it better. This is why I feel Pokemon like Quilava and Torkoal are wasted on Ash. He has Charizard and Infernape. Why pick one of them over these two fire powerhouses? Also Ash does not need to bond with every single Legendary Pokemon. Seriously give the other characters on the main cast a turn.

And to be honest it wasn't BW that made me lose interest in Ash, it was DP, my favorite saga so far. Even then I realized Ash was doing the same thing over and over again. The truth of the matter is Pokemon is repetitive no matter how you look at it. The games main plot is to get badges and win the league, while stopping a new evil team all the time. Me personally, I feel Ash peaked a long time ago and the writers just use him as a safe lifeline so don't have drop in ratings like Yugioh and Digimon, but while they avoided this problem they have created another one and ratings are dropping anyway. The truth of the matter is, I probably would like Ash more if he simply moved to a full on
mentorship role for a new character. Not like Brock, I would actually make him a very important part of the show, but as main character goes, what more does Ash have to learn? He's just learning stuff he's already learned before. And that is my personal take on this. Feel free to hate it.

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
Those sound like good ideas, though I still think he should have to learn lessons as a mentor (ie: Don't guide them too much - allow them to blossom, don't be too strict, etc.).

As for personality, I'm not sure if I agree or disagree, but then I'm not a super fan.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Not that this would ever happen, but have Ash lose a really important battle or something that makes him start to question himself, his training, and everything he stands for, so much so that he goes through a lengthy period of important emotional development that keeps resurfacing throughout a saga at the more inopportune times, causing strained relationships with his friends and Pokemon. Obviously have him overcome it in the end though.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Those sound like good ideas, though I still think he should have to learn lessons as a mentor (ie: Don't guide them too much - allow them to blossom, don't be too strict, etc.).

As for personality, I'm not sure if I agree or disagree, but then I'm not a super fan.

Well yeah, he would be a good mentor, meaning he'll help them out at the most two major tight spots, but then he tells them the third time and beyond when something happens they must do it themselves or they'll never stop being dependent on him. I just feel like Pokemon is missing that kind of relationship and they can't do it with Ash, he's been through enough regions where he should be the big brother of the group. It would also show Ash has truly progressed as a mature figure and really act like a Pokemon Master. That is what I want to see in Ash, but I know I'll never get it. It would be awesome if it was Karate Kid style, Ash training new trainers in unusual ways and it actually works. The dynamics he would have with the boys of the group and the girls would be different but fun for me to watch.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Ash is a good enough character.

His problem is that he's a horrible Trainer who repeatedly makes terrible decisions regarding his Pokemon and Training.

Hikatoshi26

Not that this would ever happen, but have Ash lose a really important battle or something that makes him start to question himself, his training, and everything he stands for, so much so that he goes through a lengthy period of important emotional development that keeps resurfacing throughout a saga at the more inopportune times, causing strained relationships with his friends and Pokemon. Obviously have him overcome it in the end though.

That was DP in a nutshell.....How do you think progressed with the rivalry with paul.....

jh941

I liked the idea of introducing rookies for him to travel with (May and Dawn) and having become a middle character (like Misty and Iris). Perhaps have someone completely hopeless, a bit like a more naive May. Having him become more of a mentor while still learning himself could help, or even get rid of the fatherly figure (Brock and Cilan) and bring in two new rookies, making Ash the fatherly figure.

Perhaps introduce his father?

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Eh well I personally think we need to know more about his personality and stuff. Like sure he has one, but it feels copy and paste in ways. Just something to make him feel more dynamic. But to do that'd there'd need to be some other plot. ._.

Last edited:
Actually do some character development and stop starting from scratch every time there is a new region to go to. They have just done an awful job with the character. In fact, I think practically anyone could do a better job at writing the series than the hacks they have now. Just my opinion of course

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Honestly, I think it would be easier if the writers created a brand-new character instead of them trying to salvage Ash. I mean no offense to people who like him, but he seems so flawed to me that I can't see any way of fixing him. But I suppose the first step would be to make him age because at least then we would have the illusion of him maturing, which I think is better than seeing him remain as a 10-year-old kid forever.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Honestly, I think it would be easier if the writers created a brand-new character instead of them trying to salvage Ash. I mean no offense to people who like him, but he seems so flawed to me that I can't see any way of fixing him. But I suppose the first step would be to make him age because at least then we would have the illusion of him maturing, which I think is better than seeing him remain as a 10-year-old kid forever.

He can't age, he's in a coma XD
I agree though, I think a brand new character would be better off than continuing with Ash and ruining him even more.

DedicatedFan

If the writers ever did this then they would probably make him Ash clone. Meaning we're probably going to see the same character development episodes Ash had

VoltTacklingPika

At this point, I think most fans have become jaded with Ash. We've followed this kid and his generic personality for over a decade and throughout that time the writers have proven they haven't got a clue what to do with him. They played with the idea of a slightly more mature Ash who acted as a mentor figure to a new trainer in AG and DP, but then inexplicably decided to regress him in BW and try and pass him off as a novice or rookie trainer on the same level as trainers just starting their journey.

While Ash suffers from that, I also feel that, more than anything, he suffers from not having a clear, defined, motivation. You could fiddle about with his personality all you want, but without knowing why this kid is the way he is, we're always going to be lacking that extra bit of depth that would make him somewhat interesting. At the moment, the only thing that's driving him to become a Pokemon Master is his own childish dream.

It's just strange to me how a character like Trip has received that basic character development yet Ash hasn't, even after all this time. We know more about the backgrounds of Brock, Misty, May, Max, Dawn, Paul, Trip and Iris than we do of our main character, and those guys all had some unique quirk or facet of their personality that made them interesting during the time they were on the show; some of them even had hobbies outside of Pokemon battling!

What does Ash got besides being a trainer? Any other talents or interests?

To sum up, Ash is just too basic. Adding a few extra layers to his character would go a long way to making him a bit more interesting and relatable.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Have him age, he needs to age if he is ever gonna be semi mature and stop making stupid *** decisions.

Also, introducing his dad as a mentor type character could be helpful.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
If the writers ever did this then they would probably make him Ash clone. Meaning we're probably going to see the same character development episodes Ash had

Not if the studio hires new writers. Seriously, I think it's time for the anime to receive a complete overhaul, not just Ash. Although like I said, there is at least one way of making his character seem a little more relatable imo.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
When was the last time that Ash evolved a water type BESIDES KINGLER!?

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Status
Not open for further replies.