• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What creates horror?

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~
Just what is it that makes something go bump in the night?

I've been thinking about this idea for awhile now and, being a budding horror writer, it's my main focus. So let me ask you all- what creates horror for you? Is it reading about a gruesome monster that lives underneath a house, a grisly murder that happens in the woods, or a more psychological venture where you see a man fall into madness and kill? A website I came across gave a list of what they found to be main elements of horror. Here's a quote from them about what great horror is in and of itself:

Horror Factor said:
Sometimes a story intends to shock and disgust, but the best horror intends to rattle our cages and shake us out of our complacency. It makes us think, forces us to confront ideas we might rather ignore, and challenges preconceptions of all kinds. Horror reminds us that the world is not always as safe as it seems, which exercises our mental muscles and reminds us to keep a little healthy caution close at hand.

Do you agree with this? Feel free to discuss anything you've ever read that's made you turn on the lights or stay awake a few minutes longer at night and, if you can, share it. Novels such as It and The Shining have shown that people are horrified by gruesome monsters and psychological terrors, but what is it that really scares you the most?

Last edited:

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
Slenderman gave me nightmares last night

Spiders, because they can hurt you.

Pretty much anything that can hurt me scares me. Also ghosts.

But there is one maddening thing in particular that is horrible. Its a noise, a single never ending monotonous noise. I remember it in a dream, no a nightmare. I was in a chair, and the noise was playing. It wouldnt stop, it terrified me, and I kept freaking out but there was nowhere to go...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Ha ha, I'm starting to enjoy horror ever since I watched Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, even if the anime was more of a psychological-thriller in a way.

"Is it reading about a gruesome monster that lives underneath a house, a grisly murder that happens in the woods, or a more psychological venture where you see a man fall into madness and kill? "

In my opinion, it'd be the story where legends state of a monster living under a house in (usually) a peaceful town ever since there was a grisly murder in the woods nearby. As it turns out, the legend of the monster is truth, as a man had slowly fallen into madness because of certain circumstances in his life, or he was just ill in the first place. That's my idea of a horror.

To be honest, I hate looking down dimly-lit hallways (even if the nightlight is bright and colorful) especially if it leads to a staircase. Heck, I hate it when a nightlight or the light from an alarm clock sheds soft light into the room, thus enhancing shadows. It's worse for me because I wear glasses. And also because I'm a visual and imaginative person. I'm always afraid to wake up in the middle of the night to find something looming over my bed. It could be because I've been reading creepypastas and have read the Higurashi manga (I find the Watanagashi ending the creepiest ending) and thus that's why I've developed these stupid thoughts about the shadows, but shadows are creepy.

In a way, it'd be horror if something was actually in the shadows taunting you because you can't see it, but know they're there. Fear is a funny human emotion, and that's what horror likes to play with often. If you can make someone scared or even paranoid for a while, you have horror on your hands. And technically, it makes you the controller, which would be creepy on its own if you're not mentally sane enough.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Oh hey! I actually wrote a massive post in my blog about this! (Well, creepypasta in general, but it addressed horror as well. As a result, most of even this excerpt deals more with creepypasta and not so much general horror, especially the parts about being able to think it's real.) Because I'm a lazy-***, lemme just shamelessly rip off what I said there:

Horror in general is a genre that relies completely on thrilling an audience. Part of what makes horror what it is lies in the scary images (i.e., death, supernatural elements, whatever), yes. However, that alone doesn't scare anyone except the people who are phobic about it in the first place. It's a little like the show-don't-tell piece of advice. You know. The bit where people tell you that you need to be detailed about your writing and have things happen in fully fledged scenes instead of just summarizing things, right? Well, if you just have a picture of a monster, that's a lot like telling us what we should be scared of. It might scare a few people, but the scare just isn't as powerful as it can be. However, if you tell us a story about how that monster is frozen in one place until you turn out the lights and look away, suddenly, that picture's probably going to be a lot scarier.

The point is that there's a second element to a horror piece: it plays with the reader's emotions in some way. Usually, horror capitalizes in the idea that the reader doesn't know what's going to happen, so it's the anticipation that something has to happen (because otherwise, why would it be a creepypasta?) that makes it scarier. In other words, one of the biggest reasons why my ability to predict how your creepypasta is going to end is bad? Because I know how it ends. There's nothing scary about it because I'm no longer getting a shock or thrill out of reading what you have to say. After all, I can recognize those story elements from a completely different story, so I can pretty much piece together from the endings of someone else's fic what I should be expecting. Ergo, no fear because I know what to brace myself for. There's no traps, no shocks... just nothing.

However, creepypasta takes it one step further by making the situation seem completely normal at first. ... To be a bit clearer, the style that a good creepypasta is written in isn't over-the-top. It's not overloaded with screams, and it doesn't beat us over the head with the fact that it's horror. Rather, real creepypasta is frequently told in an anecdotal manner. That is, it sounds like someone is telling a story. (Note: There are examples of good creepypasta that's presented in essay form as well. I consider the entire story of Polybius to be one, and beyond that, the earliest Pokémon creepypasta were typically essays about investigations linking Japanese copies of Red and Green to the insanity of hundreds of children. Example: Follow Me. However, in general, the more common form of creepypasta is the anecdote form, just because it's difficult to maintain the neutral tone of an informational article when writing creepypasta.) In doing so, the author performs a rather unusual move: downplays the horror. Yes, that's right. Creepypasta that works actually downplays the fact that it's supposed to be horrific. As a result, the horrors and thrills they talk about are done so in a way that makes it seem like they could have happened.

But seriously, that's it. It's all in the delivery. Beating the "LOLHORROR" parts into our heads will not make your fic scary. It's not scary to see, for the hundredth time, your sprite getting mutilated, Pokémon dying instead of fainting, Hypno leading children off to be his playthings [forever], games predicting your death... no, none of that is scary if you keep on emphasizing that it's scary.

I guess you could say that the more you try to convince me to be scared, the less scared I will be. In order to make a creepypasta work, you need to know how to be subtle. Work your way up to a wham moment to heighten the chills.

And even more than that, as I've said earlier, you need to make it feel real. The creepiest creepypasta I've ever read were the ones that seemed like they could happen. Now, okay, I know that things like Candle Cove are fictional (in part because I read a blog post by the actual creator of the story... who, hilariously, wrote the piece during a call center job, which is to say I worship them right now), but for a second, you believed it could have been a normal day on a normal forum, right? Or, alternatively, if you didn't see this on a creepypasta site, it wouldn't be any stretch of the imagination to believe it was a real thread for a brief second, right? Even if that second was very brief? Same things with the other creepypasta that I consider well-done. They have that moment where it either looks at first like it could be completely real or (in the case of Polybius) could very well have been real for all we know. As a result, it gets chilling because for a brief second, the reader thinks it could happen to them. That's what creepypasta is all about: that single moment.

Tl;dr, a good horror piece is one that has dubiously consensual intercourse with your mind. Over-reliance on gore/gimmicks and shifting your focus from the emotional aspect of it to the monsters and mayhem cheapens the thrill that you're supposed to get out of the piece, which means you'd effectively miss the point of horror.

Last edited:

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
What scares me? Well, you're going to have to look very hard and very deep, as I've written horror for a fair portion of my life.

Blood and guts in a story? No. We'll always bleed, and there is no description in a story that could possibly be vivid enough to completely recreate a bloodbath - and even if you could, the blood still wouldn't be what you truly feared. Bodies? Not even close. Since the living body is merely a vessel for the soul and mind, an unoccupied one is merely an empty shell. There is nothing to be feared from an empty shell - only the unknown that awaits the former occupant. Monsters? It depends on how real they are. I'm not talking about realism and actual existence; it's how real you make them that matters.

Still, none of those things accurately describe what we fear. How about the unknown? That's one of the better options. You don't know what will happen in your life. You don't know what mistakes you'll make, if you can make things right, if you'll make them worse instead.

However, that isn't what really scares me. No; what scares me is losing something that most people don't think about, something that just about everyone takes for granted unless it happens to them or someone who's close to them.

What I'm scared of is simple: it's the feeling of being trapped in my own mind and not knowing if I'll ever have control of anything. Losing control of my actions, my thoughts, my emotions, everything. Imagine losing it and never having a single chance to get it back. People call it insanity. I call it hell.

Too long/didn't read: psychological horror scares me the most, and it's not even close.

I also agree with the quotes that Valentine posted.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
What I'm scared of is simple: it's the feeling of being trapped in my own mind and not knowing if I'll ever have control of anything. Losing control of my actions, my thoughts, my emotions, everything. Imagine losing it and never having a single chance to get it back. People call it insanity. I call it hell.

Agreed. A mind is a horrible thing to lose, especially control over. I suppose that's what made Psycho so famous and well-received, and it's not because of the shower scene.

Fridge Horror moment: dementia seems to run in my family. Chances are high that I'll get it when I get old.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Agreed. A mind is a horrible thing to lose, especially control over. I suppose that's what made Psycho so famous and well-received, and it's not because of the shower scene.

Alfred Hitchcock was generally a master at creating subtle horror. While he specialized in psychological thrills, his film never made it obvious until the end what exactly was going on, and that's really what got him the most acclaim. Vertigo has a similar premise (woman seems psychotic/controlled by the dead/some weird mix of the two), but it's not really revealed until the end exactly what her story is. Then, you've got Rear Window, where the viewer isn't completely certain about whether or not a murder actually took place until the climax.

I guess you can say that what really makes Hitchcock's films so good is his incredible attention to detail. Every single moment and every single movement made by the actors goes into creating an overall effect. One of his movies might seem a little slow-paced to someone used to the bloodbaths of today's horror genre, but Hitchcock really dedicated himself to making sure every last second he put on film went towards thrilling his audience, playing with their minds, and keeping their attention held until the last heavy blow his plots would deal.

So, on a level, yeah, Hitchcock dealt with a lot of psychosis, but he's probably best remembered because he knew that in order to create a good story, you need to know both how the human mind works and how to exploit the mess out of it.

I love that man. Seriously.

/media snob

McNugget

The Bassist
not much gore but you need to set up a creepy mood, make sure you have a tragic/suspenseful backstory which can keep a reader guessing.

For me the suspense of the unknown is scary, also I've found that things like Ocarina Of Times Shadow Temple focused on how Hyrule had a dark murderous history at one point made it that much creepy on why it was like that.
Random signs of murder or other crimes make it suspenseful and creepy.

Jack the Ripper scares me even though I wouldn't have been a target, the legend makes it seem so mysterious that once again the "factor of the unknown" makes it really horrific. For me the suspense and subliminal messages are what make horror stories really scary and not how much gore you can shove into one.

And of course asylums scare the hell out of me. the insane are easy to create horror stories with.
If you've ever played Batman Arkham Asylum you can see that the game wasn't great but the mood and psychos moving around freely made it that much creepier also the missing morgue body scares me. Psychological problems are probably my biggest fear and what a mental case could do or act like.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
What creates horror?

Mostly the unknown, methinks.

I'm not a fan of horror, so I can't say much from experience, but I think the unknown is what freaks a lot of people out. Death scares a lot of people because we simply don't know what comes after life. The monster that lived under your bed as a kid was scary because you weren't sure what it was, when it was there, and when it would finally decide to eat you.

To really freak a person out, as the quote says, you can often play around with the unknown and use it to make a reader question what they know and wonder at what they don't. What was that one missed phone call about? Was Aunt Linda being truthful when she said nothing happened that night at the lake? Are those woods really just dangerous "because of the bears," or does it have some kind of link with the high number of sleepwalking children in the winter? (Okay, even I'm wondering what the link might be there.)

While there are many genres of horror, it's not just about "who's going to be hacked to pieces next?" but "what the hell is going to happen next?" and setting your readers on edge. By setting up a good atmosphere and playing with your readers' emotions you can really take them a long way. If something is seemingly looming in every shadow, if every noise needs to be investigated, if the reader doesn't know what to expect and wants to stop reading but just can't, then you've managed to take them on a great ride. Playing with your readers' emotions is pretty spectacular, and horror really has potential to take a reader to a lot of different places.

It makes us think, forces us to confront ideas we might rather ignore, and challenges preconceptions of all kinds.
In my opinion, this is a good thing to do even outside of horror. XD It's something a good documentary aims for, and I think it's generally good to make people think twice about ordinary things around them. There's a lot of not-so-nice-stuff behind the way major corporations work and the things we eat that aren't so fun to think about, doncha know.

~Psychic

Last edited:

Diddy

Renegade
If you've ever played Batman Arkham Asylum you can see that the game wasn't great but the mood and psychos moving around freely made it that much creepier also the missing morgue body scares me.

I'm pretty sure every critic disagrees with what you just said. In what I've seen, Batman: Arkham Asylum was a critical success in every sense of the word :/

What scares me?

Weeping Angels *shudders*

The episode of Doctor Who, "Blink" is without a doubt, the scariest episode that has ever been on. It even beats "The Empty Child".

The entire premise of these monsters is that whenever anyone looks at a Weeping Angel, they turn into stone, but when you turn your head or even just blink, in that split second where they unfreeze, they're so fast they can kill you before you know it.

The whole episode, the way it's set out and the way it builds up to the action, it gets me every time.

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~
Tl;dr, a good horror piece is one that has dubiously consensual intercourse with your mind. Over-reliance on gore/gimmicks and shifting your focus from the emotional aspect of it to the monsters and mayhem cheapens the thrill that you're supposed to get out of the piece, which means you'd effectively miss the point of horror.

Seeing as how I literally just made a LJ this week, I found it funny that you've been posting on yours about this. :p Completely off-topic, but whatevs.

Anyways, everyone's brought up a good point so far. The main one that's trended has been the most basic aspect of horror: the unknown. I think that's a pretty good way to sum up the best of horror, seeing as how everything from our fear of the dark to our fear of monsters is that we just don't know what will come next.

Going off of that subject, however, are there certain aspects of the unknown that frighten you more than others do? I know that several of you agreed on losing your mind, but that seems like it may be hard to convey in writing unless you go for a more The Uninvited approach by purposefully telling your readers things that aren't happening the entire time- a great way to create plot, but not necessarily the best way to frighten them at a given moment. So, for a related question, does a more realistic or a more paranormal horror frighten you? By this I mean does the thought of a man hiding in the dark with a butcher knife frighten you, or does the idea of aliens in your back yard waiting for you to take the garbage make you wet yourself? Mixing the two is also viable, but I'm just curious as to what subcategory of the unknown may be quite frightening.

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
Going off of that subject, however, are there certain aspects of the unknown that frighten you more than others do? I know that several of you agreed on losing your mind, but that seems like it may be hard to convey in writing unless you go for a more The Uninvited approach by purposefully telling your readers things that aren't happening the entire time- a great way to create plot, but not necessarily the best way to frighten them at a given moment. So, for a related question, does a more realistic or a more paranormal horror frighten you? By this I mean does the thought of a man hiding in the dark with a butcher knife frighten you, or does the idea of aliens in your back yard waiting for you to take the garbage make you wet yourself? Mixing the two is also viable, but I'm just curious as to what subcategory of the unknown may be quite frightening.

I really think that horror shouldn't be separated based on realism. For example, demons and malevolent spirits fall under the category of paranormal horror, but there are people who consider them to be as real as the murderer hiding in the dark with a knife (yes, I am one of those people). It really depends on whether or not the writer can portray that realism well enough for the reader to believe them, whether they can set the reader on edge with ebbs and flows in the tide of horror. Dead Space, despite being a video game, does a remarkable job with that; there were times where I wanted to quit playing for the day after experiencing the scares (yes, I did flat out quit at one time).

Portraying insanity is very difficult because you don't exactly know what to portray - unless you've come dangerously close. Being insane isn't just doing things that you wouldn't normally do in your right mind. It's more like not knowing that what you're doing is wrong and knowing that even if you could discern right and wrong, you couldn't stop yourself from doing it anyway.

To put it in a term, think of your mind as a very large bridge connecting two bigger cities. It's the gateway from the soul to the body, so it controls the actions. Emotions and thoughts cross it every single day. One person spends their entire life on the bridge, living a happy existence, greeting all of the thoughts and emotions. Imagine that the supports have been weakened in some way (for instance, severe depression). All of those thoughts and emotions now start to put pressure on the bridge that it normally wouldn't feel if it were strong. The weight of it all starts to corrode the foundation even more. Now, if people start to notice that something is wrong with the bridge, they'll hopefully step in to fix it before it gets worse. If they don't notice or don't care, the outcome will pretty much be determined. Eventually, that bridge is going to snap, sending everything plummeting into the darkness below. The soul is disconnected with the mind and body for good, and the bridge, trying to do the best it can to keep going, tries to control the actions, emotions, and thoughts itself, while the person who lived there watches in horror. People can try all they want to repair it from that point on. They can try to fish the person out of the darkness. The bridge is never going to be as strong as what it was. The person who lived there is never going to be as cheerful as they were.

Apologies for the awful analogy, but that's the closest I could come to describing insanity. I haven't been to that point, and hopefully, nobody on this forum will ever come close.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
Horror is one of my favorite genres to write, since it gives the opportunity for you to really take your creativity to the next level. It's also somewhat difficult, because every writer has his/her own opinion of what makes a scary story.

I'll try to put my thoughts into words here...

For me, the key to writing it is environment. By that I mean setting a specific mood for a scene and having all the characters act toward that mood. To be honest, I've never read a story that really, all-out scared me. Stories can make me sad, happy, lonely, nostalgic, etc., but almost never scared. The scary things that affect me most are always movies and real-life events, and that's because (for want of a better phrase) they show and don't tell.

For a horror story to be effective, I think, it should be written closer to the reader. By this I mean that it should submerge the reader with strong description and characters, sort of go from moment to moment to give the reader as much of a sensory experience as possible. (Writing 'she screamed', for example, won't really make me hear the character scream... I'll just know that she screamed. But if I write out the whole 'AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!' then it'll have more impact.) Writing about a character's internal problems can be scary, because the mind can generate pretty creepy things.

My style is a sort of subtle horror. One thing I find scary in stories, or at least shaking, is the sense of loneliness. Being alone, walking alone, and knowing that you're completely vulnerable to everything that's out there in the wide world. Silence can also be scary, if you do it right. A character's words can be scary; they can be soft, foreboding, sinister. All three, even. If a story can reach me in that way, sort of shake me out of my comfort zone for a moment, then I consider it to be scary.

To answer your question, Dawn_Hero, I go for a combination of both. Real life can be scarier than aliens, simply because it's something the reader is familiar with and can somewhat relate to. The paranormal can be just as exciting, but I think that no matter how crazy you want to get, your story should always tie in with reality in some way, to make the reader really feel what you want them to feel.

What creates horror?

A good question, I'll do my best to answer. Now considering this is in the fan fiction section, I am naturally going to focus my efforts on a written scenario of the aforementioned topic.

Horror is possibly one of the hardest, if not the hardest aspect of writing to excel in. Why? Because books lack the same visual elements a film can provide, we see scary movies in cinema all the time and have seen a considerably large number recently because of the large number of studios attempting to recreate the success of paranormal activity.

Paranormal activity, as it turns out, is an extremely good example of why it is, in some sense, easier to create horror and suspense in a film than in a book. if you were to read the script of paranormal activity to someone, you would likely send them to sleep before you'd go half way through, and yet the film can be terrifying. Why? Because the horror is very visual, and very sound based- I consider silence to be a sub catergory of sound when on the topic of film. Thus, we can conclude that visual and sound aspects are less effective in a book when trying to create horror. Taste? Well I suppose you could have have demons eating someone, but again, body gets nightmare from taste. Smell, now there is some neutral territory. Neither books nor films can directly include smell. But again, although smell may be good for one liners e.g. 'the rancid smell of the demons breath' I doubt one could write a solid horror story based on smell- now there's a challenge if anyone wants to take me up on it!
For the sake of time I am going to say that once again touch is more of a one liner, and In conclusion the 5 senses are perhaps not the most important aspects of horror. In saying this i know I might as well have just burned the literally handbook and thrown it out of the window, but please- bear with me.

I for one, have never had nightmare following the readings of a book, apart from times when my own mind has manifested disturbing occurrences born from the topic of the book. This leads me on to what, in my oppinion, are is the fundamental focal point of horror in fiction: manifestation of the imagination to create a disturbing image, and through this creating a feeling of paranoia. What I am essentially saying is that horror is born of the mind, and so it is through the mind that you must connect with your reader. They must empathize with the character, feel their fear and in doing so succumb to fear themselves. This is why we feel scared after watching a film, from other people's reactions to a situation we sense their trepidation and then this ignites a primitive fear within ourselves. In one line, trying to create fear in the reader through senses is vain task in fiction, it's all about mentality and situation. The reader must genuinely feel that they themselves could possibly be in danger, or the book must lead them along a path which ends in them feeling like this through their own minds distortion of events. I may have waffled on about the same point for too long there, nevertheless I consider it to be a valid one.