• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What determines a n00b in Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
So I was thinking about this question the other day: What determines if someone is a n00b in Pokemon and competitive battling?

The term n00b is tossed around the gaming world to mean someone with out skill, although it is derived from the word newbie, meaning a new player. Now in Pokemon would the determination of someone's skill be based on simply the Pokemon they choose to use, or how they use them? I know that someone can use Pokemon from higher tiers and completely fail in the utilization of those Pokemon so the answer in this case would probably be "the utilization".

But let me give another example: My friend has always favored Ice and Water type Pokemon (and a Pinsir). People may look at his team and say "that team is totally dumb, etc., etc." But my question is, "If he knows how to utilize his team to the best of their abilities (IV's and EV's, abilities, moves, etc.) and has planned out strategies around them, then is he still a n00b for his Pokemon selection?" Please discuss. I would like to hear from what others have to say.

RedMage23

The Red Mage
The n00b isn't the one who uses Magikarp, the n00b is the one who loses to Magikarp.

KalenArleth

Iridium Trainer
I guess it really depends on the situation.
I mean, if you had a moveset in competitive battling which consisted of...cut, strength, tackle and...something else.
I would call that hilariously bad.

However, when you say your friend who favours ice/water types and Pinsir's and he can utilize them with their abilities, moves and so on. Then I would say he isn't a noob, and is just finding ways to use his favourites in battles; which is really awesome.

But yeah...I guess it depends on the situation;
I was battling a friend of mine once in a rotation battle, his volcarona used fly even though he could see that I had my Tyranitar on the field, so I switched and set up a rock slide.
That is what I would call a nooby mistake, but he's not a complete noob :p

Zach74

Haunters gonna haunt
^ lol

Pokemon selection shouldn't determine whether one is a n00b or not. Even n00bs can win with teams of standard genericness. Pros can use things that seem terrible and still pull out wins.

EDIT: Oop, ninja'd by KalenArleth. I meant "lol" to the statement before that.

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
The n00b isn't the one who uses Magikarp, the n00b is the one who loses to Magikarp.

^This.

N00bs aren't defined by practice, but the skill utilized in that practice. If you don't know what's weak against fire or rock, you're probably a n00b. If you have an effective and functional team of mostly fire or rock-types, that doesn't mean you don't know what you're doing, just that you like thinking outside the box.

yeminied

In the case of your friend he would be a noob if he used those Pokémon solely because he liked them.

If you used those Pokémon that he likes effectively with good type coverage and purposeful spread of EV's and IV's then he wouldn't be a noob.

He would be even better than most players, lots of people use Conkeldurr's, Latios' and Blaziken's because they are really powerful, not necessarily because they like them. It's great that he is using the Pokémon that he loves successfully.

XXD17

Draco rex
There are many criteria for being noobs as there are different types of noobs...the classic definition of noob is someone who is new to something. So in terms of pokemon, it's someone who is new to the metagame while being quite familiar to the game itself...therefore, they will exhibit classic characteristics such as using moves that may be effective in the game but useless in the metagame (namely the variants of hyper beam) or using moves that are banned in the metagame (like OHKO moves or evasion moves)...and then there's the other definition which still lends itslef to the players inability to confide with the rules of the metagame and therefore, they simply believe powerful pokemon will win them the game...these are the "uber noobs" who essentially spam ubers when they aren't allowed...you run into a lot of these on random wifi battles...and what's even funnier, some of them don't even know how to properly use ubers...and then there is the 3rd definition of noob and those are essentially the haters who don't get to know the complexity of the game before condemning it as simple or childish...anyways, this is how I have come to see the term noob...

Dragon Driver

Fear the Dragons
Agree with what has been said, the Pokemon you use doesnt make you a noob if you know how to use them to their potential. One of my friends for example, his team consists of his favourite Pokemon which are all strong, like Tyranitar, Haxorus and such. Yet he is unable to beat me because he doesnt know anything about EVs, stats and only uses damage moves.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Whether or not you give a crap about EVs and natures, really. If you just use pokemon because you think they are "cool", I'm sorry, sir, my sensors indicate you that you are indeed a n00b. *Beep!*

On a side note, retarded 6-year-old trolls who offer level one pokemon for Reshirams and Zekroms on the GTS are the lowest form of n00b. Ever.

Oh, and if you use nothing but attacking moves, that qualifies too.

Rennon

Revisiting Trainer
Oh, wait. Pokemon's about having fun those who troll others saying stuff about casual or competitve are THE REAL noobies. You might beat me at competitive but you can't beat me in real life. I'm stronger than you and I have friends.

Dattebayo

Banned
Noobs are players who think they can beat you in a fight using Pokemon from Uber and OU, whether or not they EV trained them/IV breeded them, and end up getting their butts kicked by lower tiered Pokemon.

Infectious

<('-'<)
Oh, wait. Pokemon's about having fun those who troll others saying stuff about casual or competitve are THE REAL noobies. You might beat me at competitive but you can't beat me in real life. I'm stronger than you and I have friends.

How does me wanting to take pokemon to the next level make me a noobie.
On topic: a noob imo, is someone that plays stall. To me, it doesnt take a lot of skill to stall.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Noobs are people who don't understand the basics.

Choosing a certain Pokemon does not make someone a noob. It's a preference :/ If they just slap stuff on to that Pokemon without thought, then they're a noob. But like I said, they just don't understand the basics in that case.

Derp

[Something funny]
They have a team of level 60-80 Ubers and there starter and dont understand how natures or IV/EVs work and run around going "ZOMG I CAN PWNZ ALL YOU GUYZ WITH MAI POKEYMANZ!".

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
Putting hyper beam on all your pokemon and using nothing but that because you think it makes you awesome. That is a classic case of n00b to me.

Noobs are players who think they can beat you in a fight using Pokemon from Uber and OU, whether or not they EV trained them/IV breeded them, and end up getting their butts kicked by lower tiered Pokemon.

Seriously? Just because you use an OU pokemon does not always make it better than say, a UU pokemon. They're grouped in terms of usage not power (unless you're talking about Ubers or BL).

Status
Not open for further replies.