• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What did Best Wishes do better than any other saga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Unova League has already begun and even though we still have a few more months of Best Wishes, I think we could all say that Best Wishes took a lot of risks. Some of them paid off while others didn't live to their potential. So in this thread, I would like people to discuss what they think Best Wishes will be known for when all is said and done? Kanto was known for its humor, slapstick, emotion, etc. AG was known for giving us contests but what will Best Wishes be known for?

One of the things I personally think Best Wishes did better than any other saga was the handling of the villains. Up until Best Wishes, Team Rocket as an organization had only been well represnted in the Mewtwo Arc and a few of the arcs in Johto. From AG to DP TRio were the only representaives of TR and Giovanni was only seen in Meowth's fantasies. This season I feel that the pacing and handling of villains was excellent. TRio had a constant presence on the show like they always do but they didn't over do it like they have in the past. Giovanni was finally back as the main villain and we saw other members of the organization including the brilliant TR scientist Dr.Zager who was first introduced to study the Meteonite but later serves as a Commanding Officer to Jessie and James. We had the new and quite competent TR Agent Pierce who in my opinion could have been used more and we had Giovanni's secretary Matori who although she didn't have nearly as much screentime as the others still served her role well. The pacing was really good, all of their stories were well done and the build up to their several arcs kept me on the edge of my seat everytime.

Another thing I really like about Best Wishes is the fact that all of the main characters have rivals. This is the first time in the series this has happened and I feel it gives an extra layer to each of the main characters. For many of these rivals, their handling wasn't great but the rivals have given this show conflict which the show needed now since Team Rocket is not in every episode and great interactions. I feel that Trip was a new breed of rival. Yes, he does have some personality traits shared with Gary and Paul just like Burgundy does with Harley or Georgia does with Ursula but I think that Trip was a character first and a rival second and that is something I really admire about him. He may not be the most dynamic of Ash's rivals but his character is interesting and I think every episode he was in is worth while.

And of course you have the tournaments which gave us great character interactions and gave us battles we may have never seen otherwise. Cilan vs. Trip, Ash vs Burgundy, Iris vs. Burgundy, Stephan vs Bianca, etc. Even with their flaws, I feel like these tournaments were a great way for us to learn more about each of the rivals, continue to build on the great rival interactions between Ash, Iris, Cilan and all their rivals and gave us some great battles in the process.

These are 3 major things that stick out in my mind as things that Best Wishes has gotten right. What do you all think?

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
If there is one thing that Best Wishes did right is giving a better development to the "sidekicks". Iris had a good amount of development (even if rather uneven and in chunks, but I'm not complaining), while Cilan gives humor and has a mentor-like role (kinda like Brock) and has a quite active role. He needs some development, but we'll probably get something in the filler saga.

Another good thing are the tournaments, since they give a chance to the various characters and we can see how much they have developed. Sure, some things could have been handled better, but the idea was good.

The rotation system is another good idea. Probably it wasn't handled perfectly, but the experiment is good and I'd like to see Ash rotating his Pokemon even in the next series.

And last but not least... Team Rocket doesn't appear in every... freaking... episode. That's without doubt a plus, since it makes the plots more original.

I'll return later if something else comes to my mind.

Giving Ash a Krookodile.

That's about it, let me get back to you if I think of anything else.

If there is one thing that Best Wishes did right is giving a better development to the "sidekicks".

Dawn and May had better development than Cilan and Iris.

Janovy

Banned
Oh my God, I can't believe my eyes. Is this what I think it is? Is it?

A *le gasp* POSITIVE thread about Best Wishes?

No seriously, what? Doomsday is surely coming. :p

Anyway:

- The animation.
- Most of the characters are highly amusing, especially Langley and Burgundy. There are also Bianca, Kotetsu, etc.
- Despite being sidekicks, Iris and Cilan both do stuff and have their own rivals.
- The BW trio have a great chemistry.
- Ash is actually amusing in this saga unlike DP where he was super serious.
- Of course, Team Rocket not appearing is also good since it shows that writers are able to write episodes without them.
- Best Wishes actually remembers its "COTDs" and bothers enough to bring them back which is well evident in the league.
- Pokémon (well most of them) also have fresh and unique personalities.
- Increasing roles of female Pokémon, it was cool that Ash got 2 female Pokémon and that Iris got Emolga. :D

Last edited:
The animation and the fact that Team Rocket does not appear in practically EVERY episode.

Also the existence of Dento and Iris. :p

Oh yeah, the animation and Kotetsu. Also Team Rocket becoming serious. Although I thought they were absent for too long at times.

Oh my God, I can't believe my eyes. Is this what I think it is? Is it?

A *le gasp* POSITIVE thread about Best Wishes?

No seriously, what? Doomsday is surely coming. :p

Anyway:

- Most of the characters are highly amusing, especially Langley and Burgundy. There are also Bianca, Kotetsu, etc.
- Despite being sidekicks, Iris and Cilan both do stuff and have their own rivals.
- The BW trio have a great chemistry.
- Ash is actually amusing in this saga unlike DP where he was super serious.
- Of course, Team Rocket not appearing is also good since it shows that writers are able to write episodes without them.
- Best Wishes actually remembers its "COTDs" and bothers enough to bring them back which is well evident in the league.
- Pokémon (well most of them) also have fresh and unique personalities.

Not really Langley was just Iris but against dragons instead of for them. Burgundy was just some idiot made to give other MCs a free win. Bianca and Kotetsu could give Kanto Ash a run in the brains department.
Yeah they do stuff, but the timing is awful and feels shoehorned when no one wants to see them.
If you call Iris insulting both of them constantly and Cilan being in love with Ash great chemistry then....
At the cost of his brain sure.
They are TR in name only
No its just so they can draw fewer new faces not caring about them or any of that.
And only like 3 of them have personalities.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
The animation and the fact that Team Rocket does not appear in practically EVERY episode.

Also the existence of Dento and Iris. :p

This. :3

And the awesome sauce colors, new music and um....that's all I can think of right now. xDD

Oh oh and the comedy. :3

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
~Animation wasn't all that good... but was pretty passable
~Ash utilizing status moves other then Sand Attack
~Dark types no longer a bad omen
~Initial thought of rotation

dman_dustin

~Ash utilizing status moves other then Sand Attack
That's a good positive thing, partially.

~Dark types no longer a bad omen
I know who would've thought, two dark types for Ash.

~Initial thought of rotation
Agreed they just failed. I think DP's pace could've allowed this to work.

For mine:
-I for one think the animation is more friendly and modern than any other series.

-And the battle tournaments, I don't like the 1 vs 1, but I enjoyed the battle tournaments where Ash's traveling companions could get in some battling as well, instead of barely using their Pokémon.

- Personally I enjoy seeing episodes being written without Team Rocket, shows to me that they don't need Team Rocket to carry an episode.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
For mine:
-I for one think the animation is more friendly and modern than any other series.

-And the battle tournaments, I don't like the 1 vs 1, but I enjoyed the battle tournaments where Ash's traveling companions could get in some battling as well, instead of barely using their Pokémon.

- Personally I enjoy seeing episodes being written without Team Rocket, shows to me that they don't need Team Rocket to carry an episode.
Agreed, though the last one was being posted by everyone, so I didn't feel the need of posting it

I am Lu

The animation, music, and development for both Iris and Cilan are all pluses. In past generations, it seemed like one sidekick (May, Dawn) got development while the other (Brock) didn't.

- Team Rocket not appearing in every episode.
- Constant tournaments that give everyone battle time.
- Iris and Cilan having their own rivals, which is something Brock and Misty didn't get.
- Ash catching more than 6 pokemon. Regardless of the actual result, it's shown everyone how continuous rotation would work with Ash.
- Ash getting multiple rivals instead of just one or two.
- The way Dragonite was handled was a lot better than how Togekiss was handled.
- Faster paced saga in general (Some don't view this as a good thing but others prefer getting to the point rather than dragging things out).

Zya

ロバート
Better: Animations, music, types of episodes, comedy, and main character + Pokemon development.

Worse: Battles, equal use of Pokemon, rivalries, mentioning of the past Pokemon, characters and adventures (I truly believe that's important for the anime to continue being successful).

...That's what I believe :)

Last edited:

Lord)Magmortar

the graphics and all that stuff are pretty good. plus, some pokemon are cute and the pokemon are active. i mean like, you know how sometimes pokemon have there own episodes with no people, JUST pokemon? thats exactly what i mean. the pokemon have many events going on between them. i can't explain it well but you might know what i mean.

P.S. heres an example.in one episode tepig and oshawott had a fight but then they made up. then in another episode tepig's feelings and stuff were shown against shanus(i felt bad for tepig, lol).

-Lord Magmortar

Better: Animations, music, types of episodes, comedy, and main character + Pokemon development.

Worse: Battles, equal use of Pokemon, rivalries, mentioning of the past Pokemon, characters and adventures (I truly believe that's important for the anime to continue being successful).

...That's what I believe :)

EXACTLY!!!! comedy! comedy between people and people. and comedy between pokemon and pokemon

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

EXACTLY!!!! comedy! comedy between people and people. and comedy between pokemon and pokemon

Team Rocket not appearing in every episode is the only major improvement.

The fillers are exactly the same as the fillers from any past saga and the gym battles are worse and Ash's rivalries range from decent to crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.