• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What did Best Wishes do better than any other saga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, Cilan. Forgot about that guy. He's another positive. ^_^

Who people consider amazing, decent, or crap is all subjective, so leave it at that.

Fine point taken~

Lucille

The animation was amazing for sure, Ash getting a Dark type was long overdue. I don't like how Ash didn't challenge Drayden or Marlon for his 8th badge makes him look sort of weak IMO

Lucario Fan

The only positive thing I can think of is giving Ash more than 5 new Pokemon and rotating them. Although it didn't work that much. (see Palpitoad)

EspNeon

Badge Collector
For me personally:

• Ash's team of Pokémon is rotated frequently rather than being just one concrete team. It adds some variety to the show but it also develops them much better than in previous seasons. Of course, this isn't applicable to all Pokémon *cough* Palpitoad *cough*
  • Team Rocket have reverted back to their original routes. During the Indigo League Series, Team Rocket were wanted by the police but as episodes progressed they became a novelty addition, so it's nice to see them taken more seriously.
  • All 3 protagonists are given a "major" rival.
    Iris -> Georgia
    Cilan-> Burgundy
    Ash-> Trip
  • The episodes dedicated to each character have some relevance towards their development much rather than being fillers like in previous series i.e Brock and Vulpix.

That's about all I can think of for now.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
The only positive thing I can think of is giving Ash more than 5 new Pokemon and rotating them. Although it didn't work that much. (see Palpitoad)

That and the new types that Ash own. I honestly disliked nearly everything else in this saga. Everything was pretty much rushed; the battles, the evolutions, the character development; everything. Whats even more annoying is that with Iris and Cilan, they're just too similar to Misty and Brock (Iris-Misty Ice-Bug type fear and Brock-Cilan cooking though I'm probably being too harsh on Cilan as he has a few unique nishes). The writers have also tried to recreate the kanto saga and ended up with the Best Wishes series; team rocket returning and acting like true villains which worked for a while until they dissapeared, Trip being another smug hotheaded rival that shows no respect to Ash until he is defeated (Paul was different, he never mocked Ash in a style similar to Gary, he was just coldhearted).

So overall, the only things that Best Wishes did better than any other saga were the variety in pokemon given to the main trio.

The episodes dedicated to each character have some relevance towards their development much rather than being fillers like in previous series i.e Brock and Vulpix.

At least with the Brock and Vulpix episode, it was more than just a filler as Brock owned the Vulpix for a while, it focused on Brock's aspiration to becoming a breeder, what he had to look forward to if he became a full time well known breeder and other things like that.

Last edited:

Rovian

Kodoku no Koori
- Team Rocket not in every episode.
- Ash owning dark types.

-the Animation. Finally Ash's eyes are confirmed brown, when back in Kanto, couldn't tell
You could see his eyes were brown in the kanto episodes. After turning his hat around, there is a close-up shot of his eye, before throwing a pokeball.

-BW has the balls to try new things and it's breaking all the rules. :p That's probably the thing I like most about it, it's willing to break the mold and try new things and aspects. Rotation captures, middle-stage captures, FULLY-EVOLVED CAPTURES. It's like the fandom had a freaking massive brain fart when the writers tried something new, I guess people became so accustomed to that form of doing things that it can be hard accepting or liking something new.
Middle stage and final stage captures happened in Kanto (Ash's Pidgeotto and Muk).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I will say though I do love some of the personalities this saga like Scraggy and Snivy. Hopefully we have more evo's before we're done to even things out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think one thing Best Wishes did better than any other saga is indeed the villains. Anyone who thinks that Galactic, J, Aqua and Magma were better than BW TR are kidding themselves. So Best Wishes has that going for it.

BlueDragonfangirl

*looks at Cyber's post*

Why are you putting negatives in a positive thread? XD

I found Dento's dorkiness a nice touch (have you seen the way he runs? He runs like he's in high step marching band or something)XD He's so bishounen but at the same time sort of breaks that. XD

He always does that and acts like his opinions are facts, just ignore it.

I'll give my pros and cons about Best Wishes

Pros

-Animation

-Dento and Iris have rivals and do more things than the past sidekicks did.

-Ash has a lot more rivals

-Ash has more Pokemon than he ever has had before

-Dento {I enjoy his character and honestly hope he stays next series but hey. }

-Team Rocket not appearing in every episode

Cons

-Ash getting shoved into the background a lot {While its great that the sidekicks are getting a lot to do but lets not forget who the main character is folks. He needs way more screen time and battles, I hope they fix this in the next series and make it more even. }

-They needed to show Ash training on screen and get some more fights. I hated how Ash said he trained his Pokemon but we never got to see it, instead we see some other none important plots}

-Team Rocket being serious {I liked them better when they were funny}

-The way they did things with Ash and Trip's rivalry {Good freakin Mike, its not even funny what they did here..Trip gets knocked out way too early, that says how much Pokemon loves him sheesh! Any time they had a chance to do things to improve the rivalry they missed that chance. }

Yah, this is my least favorite series so far and am glad its coming to an end soon.

Last edited:

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I've got to ask, what's so bad about Cyber's reactions in this thread? I'm actually with him on this, the whole saga has been pretty poorly handled, with the single redeeming factor being some of the Pokemon personalities.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I've got to ask, what's so bad about Cyber's reactions in this thread? I'm actually with him on this, the whole saga has been pretty poorly handled, with the single redeeming factor being some of the Pokemon personalities.

The thread isn't to talk about the negatives, Cyber made more then one of those, he shouldn't but in here and talk about that, if he doesn't have anything positive to add he shouldn't post.

Really I though you were one of those that actually likes the series.

BlueDragonfangirl

I'm not sure if we can talk about this here or else I would, if you talk about a member in a thread you get a warningXD I do agree with him on a few comments too, the series has a lot more cons than pros if any thing. I did like the arc where Meowth joined the team for a bit, he was like his old self again funny enough.

Because this is a positive thread not a negative one. There are people who loved or liked Best Wishes and want to say good things about it. Cyber and the minority shouldn't be negative in this thread. Most of us had many things we liked about it. Not the best or perfect, but had it's own flavor.

pokemon fan 132

Honestly i feel BW series had many innovative and unexpected ideas, but their execution was pretty terrible imo.

But since this is positive thread here are things which i consider being step forward compared to previous sagas:
-sidekicks like Iris and Cilan receiving their own rivals. Something which wasn't practice for supporting cast with only co-stars until now having them.

-Iris is generally getting more attention toward her story and dragon master goal so this can be considered improvement from how Misty dream was handled, but in character sense i feel Misty growth had more texture to it. However compared to development Dawn received, Iris treatment is step down.

-BW trio definitely has great dynamic but still i don't consider it better than interactions original trio provided. Although compared to DP i find it was improvement.

-probably most redeeming quality about BW is treatment of villains like Team Rocket about who i have mixed feelings. Change for better was definitely revival of Giovanni with TR organization starting to rise up again and JJM trio after promotion taking their tasks more seriously coming in light of better organized and adaptive villains was refreshing change in this show. However imo construction left more to be desired with climax being pretty rushed and absence of Team Plasma took away from impact too.

-in unpredictability BW is hands down contender for first place breaking so many patterns established in past, and doing so many different things than any of its ancestors so far. For start Ash is applying concept of pokemon rotation using more than 6 same pokemon over course of his journey which on bright side added breeze of fresh air in his line up giving variety to choose from.

Types which used to be of limits for him in past have now been caught, such as Krookodile which is half dark.
One of main characters (Iris) caught in middle of journey fully evolved pokemon and one of strongest ones out there like Dtagonite. Something which was unthinkable to happen in previous sagas.

Ash had never so many rivals in one region like he has now. We have Stephan, Trip, Bianca, Kotetsu and arguably Virgil(although he is just usual league rival).

So in not knowing what to expect next Unova series are definitely doing best job compared to all previous series which is actually positive in way because it increases excitement and people interest to extent, giving something different from stale predictable routine watchers got used to.

Whether changes were for better or worse though is debatable, and execution could have been much better.

But all in all this are things i consider being handled better compared to previous series.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
The thread isn't to talk about the negatives, Cyber made more then one of those, he shouldn't but in here and talk about that, if he doesn't have anything positive to add he shouldn't post.

Really I though you were one of those that actually likes the series.

I do come across things that I like, but as a whole I would say that it's been quite disappointing. Shame really, as it had a lot of potential, especially in the rotation department.

I know people want this to be a positive thread, but any topic is always going to cause debates and people will express their disappointment, same as the ones who will be giving praise.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay, since several posts have been reported here's my two cents:

The details of what should and shouldn't be discussed are up to Pokemaniac24 since he's the thread creator, but I'm pretty sure that posts purely containing negative aspects of BW is not what he had in mind. So...

If you think BW did nothing better than the previous sagas and that it sucks in its entirety, that's fine, but this particular topic isn't for you so please get out. Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but the number of reports I get from people pointing out this problem makes me think that some of you can't read.

Judging by the first post you don't have to be 100% supportive of BW and say that its positive elements were all perfectly executed. You can mention some things that didn't work out that well, but the overall focus needs to stay on aspects of the series which you liked. At least that's my impression.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
What did Best Wishes do better?

Other than animation and pokemon starter development in my face, there really isn't a whole lot I'm proud of. However, giving the background characters rivals were good in my book.

Last edited:
Okay, since several posts have been reported here's my two cents:

The details of what should and shouldn't be discussed are up to Pokemaniac24 since he's the thread creator, but I'm pretty sure that posts purely containing negative aspects of BW is not what he had in mind. So...

If you think BW did nothing better than the previous sagas and that it sucks in its entirety, that's fine, but this particular topic isn't for you so please get out. Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but the number of reports I get from people pointing out this problem makes me think that some of you can't read.

Judging by the first post you don't have to be 100% supportive of BW and say that its positive elements were all perfectly executed. You can mention some things that didn't work out that well, but the overall focus needs to stay on aspects of the series which you liked. At least that's my impression.

Yep. This is exactly what I made the thread for. I want to know what people think Best Wishes did better than any other saga just like the title of this thread said. Not about the negative aspects. If you don't think Best Wishes did anything better than the other sagas, then just don't reply. Again, not trying to sound harsh but I made this thread so we could talk positively about BW. It seems like there have been so many complaint threads and complaints in general over BW. I want this thread to be a positive one.

Andrew Shard

Shards of Fury...
I think that they had good ideas BUT they developed them in a bad way... Althought that in my opinion WE ALL MISS the other saga because the episodes were more amusing (misty scared of bugs, may's fails and brock and his girls).
Another point is the graphics... I get bored when I'm seeing BW because there are so many colors (HATE PINK).
Simple Stuff that just make BW bored... (I don't like CILAN EITHER...) -_-

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Because this is a positive thread not a negative one. There are people who loved or liked Best Wishes and want to say good things about it. Cyber and the minority shouldn't be negative in this thread. Most of us had many things we liked about it. Not the best or perfect, but had it's own flavor.
Pretty sure the people who like Best Wishes are the minority here...

I did have some positives about the series, but there's not that many to begin with :/

Here's one I forgot though
~ Initial pace (was thought to improve Pokemon, but never did)

Status
Not open for further replies.