• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What did Best Wishes do better than any other saga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The previous regions were like our favorite shoes, tried and true they did everything we expected them to do and the run with them was great.

Best Wishes is like a new pair of shoes, while it may take some time getting used to them, I'm sure we'll love it just like our old shoes.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
The previous regions were like our favorite shoes, tried and true they did everything we expected them to do and the run with them was great.

Best Wishes is like a new pair of shoes, while it may take some time getting used to them, I'm sure we'll love it just like our old shoes.
If they work out the kinks first... and there were a lot of kinks.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
No saga is perfect.

They tried something new with the rotation system. It is not very effective but it is interesting if they can handle it better in the next generation.

Initial Pace. It was okay but looks like they ran into many changes from BW to BW2 and it began rushing things. It can still get better.

The development and focus of the characters and their accomplishments like Iris, Trip, Bianca and Stephan to an extent and building them up to have good battles with Ash manily the rivals.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Okay okay, I guess it hasn't all been bad. I am a bit of a Pre-BW2 Iris fan and Bianca's been a fun person to have about, better than Barry even.. and I've liked seeing evolutions during Gym matches, although it did get a bit repetitive without TR about to cause a few. Finally giving Ash a Dark type was pretty cool, two even, both of which are included in the few Pokemon that are being handled okay. Maybe next time he'll get Psychic, Ghost or Steel.. Oh and I like Crustle.

Considering we've had over 100 episodes in Unova, that's still not great, but I felt I should try and be positive, since I'm continuously getting in trouble for my views. This saga has brought me more infractions/warnings than any other, lol.

Squirtle_007

I think that they had good ideas BUT they developed them in a bad way... Althought that in my opinion WE ALL MISS the other saga because the episodes were more amusing (misty scared of bugs, may's fails and brock and his girls).
Another point is the graphics... I get bored when I'm seeing BW because there are so many colors (HATE PINK).
Simple Stuff that just make BW bored... (I don't like CILAN EITHER...) -_-

- Brock (as a whole) is the only thing that I don´t miss about previous series because the guy was boring as watching a cheese getting old, gettig rid of him is one of the things Best Wishes do better than any other saga because he was replaced with a way more interesting character than him ... am I the only one that finds ironic that we had to wait for a Conossieur with a grass-type monkey to see a competent Rock-type Pokémon?
- I actually don´t miss previous sagas at all, and I don´t want to talk about the saga before Unova because I don´t want a warning and this is not the place to do it.

So, answering the question:
- Sidekicks with interesting personalities
- Group interactions
- Ash´s rivals (Yeah, I think they are all better than Paul, SUE ME)
- Pokémon Tournaments this saga has been better than trainer tournaments in previous series (Whirl Cup, Hearthome Tag Battle, Poké-ringer)
- Ash´s compannions not being in the background, come on, Iris and Cilan in 2 years are having better development than 14 years of Brock
- Rivals personalities are all diverse, all entertaining and all cool
- Breaking the mold of previous sagas and taking risks is a thing that I appreciate

And now, I´ll wait for Cybercubed´s weekly random complain thread where all the Sinnoholics can express their hate :D, I think the topic of this week will be how Pikachu´s Thunderbolt now goes curved

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I think that they had good ideas BUT they developed them in a bad way... Althought that in my opinion WE ALL MISS the other saga because the episodes were more amusing (misty scared of bugs, may's fails and brock and his girls) -_-

Iris being scared of ice types is partically the same. Do you even watch the show?

No saga is perfect.

You got that right.

Okay okay, I guess it hasn't all been bad. I am a bit of a Pre-BW2 Iris fan and Bianca's been a fun person to have about, better than Barry even..

I can understand this. But I somehow thought that Barry was better. yes, he did lose in his battles but I respected his more. He could be takened more seriously than Bel at times.

Arceusgamer14

Team Rocket's absence in most episodes! That's what I think was a major approvement over the years.
It makes me want to wish that the new saga will arrive without Team Rocket and hopefully for a new AG-like Saga (Since I think AG was the best in my opinion)

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
- Animation. It's never looked better.
- Rivals. The treatment of the rivals is questionable, but I felt like every one had a distinct personality and more depth than even some other rivals in the whole series. Iris and Cilan also had rivals, which was an interesting change.
- Team Rocket. I think they could have appeared more, and I do like them, but it's nice to have them not sap minutes out of every episode.
- Humour. I feel like this saga has been funny. I've laughed out loud a couple times.

ViperQueen

RAWR!!!
This is what I have down so far:
-Some better animated graphics (attacks/ scenery/etc.)
-Showed more than 8 gym leaders
-I also liked how they didnt show any previous gen. pokemon in the beginning
-Meeting Rivals more than once (the all almost see each other in every tournament)

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Things that I like about Best Wishes? Yeah. many.

1. For the first time, rivals for sidekicks* and many rivals for Ash. Some get more developed from other but it's fun to use.
2. We have 15 Gym Battles in one saga. And in 11 of them, Ash has participated. Other characters got 4 Gym Battles, things that never happen in the anime before. This is a step forward from 2 in Sinnoh and 0 in Hoenn.***
3. Something from the Unova league. The fact that the rivals are using pokemon that we know. One of the things that I don't like about the Sinnoh League is that the new rivals has new pokemon without using his known pokemon. (And Ash doesn't need to use the reserves in Sinnoh although I know why happened).
4. Unpredictability of battles. In many cases we don't know who will be the winner of the battles. (And if not for Terebi-Kun, I thought that Ash lose (or at least don't get the badge) against Homika and knowing one month ahead that Ash will win with Krookodile).
5. The attempt at the writers to think that the main cast will change but finally didn't end happening. This has happened three times in this series, Meowth Arc, Dawn's cameo and TR leaving.
6. I like Cilan and his "stating time" antics. And Iris is a well-developed character for be a "sidekick". And the BW chemistry trio has a good chemistry. At least is better than DP at least (DP had a one excellent chemistry (for me, the est chemistry of the show) but at expense of one weak and one damaged chemistry).
7. The Don battles. And in this saga, there 3 Don Battles. Although the Junior Cup was sightly dissapointing, the Don Battle has been a good method to show the rivals, have chemistry with other characters and where almost anyone but fight anyone. (Iris VS Stephan, Iris vs Burgundy, Ash vs Georgia and Bianca vs Georgia are good examples of this).
8. The animation. Although the stock animation could be annoyued at times, the animation is a notabloe difference from the DP series. And I think that any episode has "bad" animation like some of AG and DP.
9. The lack of fillers. In Best Wishes we had like 10 fillers. I like when almost every episode is important to the plot.

Things that I never mind of Best Wishes:
10. Pikachu being reset at the start of the saga. Seriously, doyou want for Ash to have the strength to the end of Sinnoh? And remember, Pikachu is the strongest pokemon of Ash although Pikachu was "resetted" at the start of BW. The same goes to Ash' reset.
11. The position that Ash will get at the end of the league specially if compared to other sagas.
12. That Ash scanned pokemon in the pokedex. Ash is the only main character with pokedex recurrently and the kids wants to know who is this pokemon. Although I don't like when Ash scan pokemon that he scanned "recently".

Things that we're obvious before that doesn't say in the show ut at the start of Best Wishes were said again and I love when that was said. 14. Particularly that Ash was 10 at the start of Unova saga. Because this resolves something that a first glance should be obvious. That the anime character doesn't age through the years. And passing through hand-drawn to HD =/= aging. Although Ash doesn't look exactly like a 10 years old since episode 1.

Things that I didn't like about the show.
I don't find talking too much on them, but I say two of relevance recently:
15. Trip. And not because he was a rookie at the start at Unova (Ash was technically a rookie at the start). And not because of the design. But because the big fluctuactions of development and the thought that I think that the writers don't like Trip, almost proven by his defeat in the 1st round of the Unova League (further supported from the early defeats at the Clubsplosion and Club Battle)**.
16. Iris vs Drayden. Well, Iris catches an overpowered Dragonite. That Dragonite sweeps the Junior Cup but doesn't obey Iris. When Dragonite went out of the control, Krookodile defeats him. Iris used him to fight the Therian Formes and Dragonite stays disobedient until the Village of the Dragons. Well, I can accept that. But I can't accpet that an already overpowered obedient Dragonite is defeated so easily with a Druddigon that's way overpowered than Dragonite. I hate that because Drayden is a strong Gym Leader, not Unova's Champion. I know now why Ash fought Roxie and not Drayden before (apart from the obvious).

And to end that, something that I don't accept negatives because of it:
The 2-partner being postponed and Team Plasma not appearing afterwards. If the 2-partner airs, I'll give an opinion. But seeing the people that died in the Tohoku earthquake (10.000+ people diuded there and we saw the second worst nuclear disaster of the history) not airing two episode of a cartoon would be a such big problem. Please, if you rant negatively about BW, don't use Team Plasma.

This is all.

*Sidekick. Sidekick is a main character that doesn't get much focus as the "star" of the shows. In Pokemon, the only official stars are Ash (all) and Dawn (DP). Although May was a borderline between star and sidekicks.
**There's a difference between Burgundy and Trip. First, that Burgundy is meant to be a joke character, Trip and specially his Conkeldurr aren't. And we know that Burgundy stays all the tournamnet that she takes part until the end. Trip leaves when his battle is over (and I see Trip leaving in just two days, trust me).
*** I'll put on tmy profile the 15 Gym Battle that Ash has had this saga.

Last edited:

Nanami

Banned
Changed the forumlar up quite a bit with many surprises. Also like how the rivals were done in the tournaments and also a very nice TR. If it had the story element of DP it would of been a really good arc. However it is still too soon too judge since its not over

JJB1003

Youtube Master
Honestly, I only partially liked DP. Now hear me out, although I really liked the amount of training Ash did, I felt like the pacing was way too slow.
Now I get it was a 4 year series, which is why it had to, but I found myself really bored witless at points.
Therefore the thing I like THE MOST about BW is the fact that it's just so well paced.
There's never any more than about 4 episodes between what people deem as "Fillers" , apart from maybe the Burgh-Elesa gym phase.
I think this is fantastic, cause even if there was an episode which didn't really do it for you, there's only a little wait till one which actually is a bit of development.
:D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out My HG Nuzlocke, here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo2Gl4izUcDx7aeqgbgEOVg !!!
It's not half bad, if I say so myself. :p

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
Nothing !!!

Care to elaborate, please? I know you think the series went in the opposite direction it was intended to go down, but please tell us how the series was not good for the Pokemon anime, whatsoever.

In my opinion, Best Wishes brought on more battle tournaments, and more or less expected or unexpected battle results. It kept us on our toes with surprises, and apparently, most people don't like these surprises.

pokefandt

I like the idea of Ash rotating, he has 10 pokemon if you include Pikachu to choose from in this region. I think everybody was surprised back in early 2011 when Ash caught Sewaddle. The actual execution left a little to be desired, but the core concept can work, maybe they'll do better in 6th gen.

I like Iris, she's doing it gradually. I've worked my way past that whole Dragonite thing and I can see it fits.

Breaking capture conventions was nice as well, including Ash getting TWO dark types. That was something I most certainly would not have put my money on happening back when the show premiered in 2010.

Cilan. . . hit or miss on somedays, others I just don't care too much for him.

Most of the gym battles sans Elesa were pretty good, and even than one had some moments that I liked. I just kinda wish the writers had let us see Bianca rematch her. Brycen, Skyla, Clay, and Homika were my favorites in no particular order.

The fast pace. . . it kinda works for me. Not too long, but not too short either. The gap between Burgh and Elesa was WAY too long in my opinion, and the gap between Clay and Skyla was way to damn short. The rest work, a balance of 10 to 20 episodes between gyms is perfect. NO ONE wants a repeat of the infamous gap between the 7th and 8th gyms in Sinnoh.

The rivals. . . that's where things are getting a little fuzzy. I like Bianca, I like Stephen, I'm neutral on Trip (I'm STILL shocked they're kicking him out of the league this early), neutral on Georgia, feel pretty damn sad for burgundy, neutral on Kotetsu, and not particularly happy with Virgil.

I like Proffessor Jupiter, she was pretty cool. More active than most of the regional professor's we've seen, sans Professor Oak.

I like Meloetta, it was fun seeing her travel with Ash and company for awhile and even gave a bit of (false) hope that Ash would capture a legendary.

Squirtle_007

Oh, I got another one:

What did Best Wishes do better than any other saga?

Trolling!! :D

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
I think Best Wishes is the first to actually to deviate a bit from the plot in BW by exluding Team Plasma. However if the info Serebii got was right then N will have his own arc/season. That is rather impressive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.