• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What did you do/think of when you first became a fan of Pokemon? Or even before that?

1:16

I'm a Christian
Although it may sound like I'm repeating myself: "What did you do or think of when you first became a fan of Pokemon? Or even before that?" What was your attitude back then? Or did you just become a fan of the vast franchise just a while ago? Did you go giddy over it or were you a calm newcomer, perhaps even a systematic adherent?

For me, after watching a few minutes of the Pokemon movie "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew," I got a bit interested. Besides, even before I liked Pokemon as a whole, I liked Lucario. Perhaps that led me to getting in the franchise about the period of time when Pokemon Black and Pokemon White were just released.

At that time, I bookmarked Bulbapedia. I got a Pokemon book (Visual Guide). I even told my friends that I liked it (and a lot of them accepted and/or were taken surprise by it). I even anticipated almost every episode of the Anime when I was able (although now, the show's not even in our local television network anymore, English or otherwise).

So, tell and discuss your answers.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
when i become a fan of pokemon, i usually search every new pokemon that was available through games,anime,etc..... and even try to create my own pokemon battlefield(for fun)

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I barely knew about Pokémon before I became a fan of it. I'd heard of it here and there, but not paid any attention to it, and didn't really know what it was all about. Once I became a fan, I played the RPGs, and watched some of the anime, although that bored me after a few episodes, lol. I also used to draw some weird Pokémon stuff, like what the evolutions of the Kanto starters, Alakazam and Golem would look like.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I've started to love Pokemon, so young, but so young... That I don't even remember what I thought or why I liked it. I'm almost sure it was because of a magazine featuring that cool Venusaur and Blastoise, the Gold/Silver game and watching the first season of the anime in every satutrday morning. I loved Pikachu and Meowth, haha!
Those are my only memories of before geez, pokemon seems to be part of my life now..

Pink Harzard

So majestic
When I first heard about Pokémon, I thought it was childish...
I'm glad I'm wrong about that.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
When I first became a fan of Pokémon, I was a bit too young to really remember, I remember that I thought that Ash' Pikachu is bad, and that Butterfree shouldn't have been released :/

I didn't play any of the Games till the release of Link, though.
Well, maybe.
I have a Crystal but I don't know when I got that.

Tf916

Parappa the Rapper
I was a big Pokemon fan when i saw commericals for the first episode and fell in love with it, been hooked ever since.

Puma Italia

I was like 5 years old, I liked the TV show and the games, all of the kids in school were playing it so it was "the hot new thing". All of these years later, not many of those kids still play but I am still just as big of a fan as I was back then.

Rsr57

I read about it in a magazine. Pokemon was not so "well known" by then (i started with Pokemon Blue), so i didn´t really have an opinion about it. It got my interest quickly and became a fan until now.

Last edited:

Emmulah

When I was a kid I used to lie in bed and pretend I really lived in the pokemon universe and I would image training, feeding, and caring for my pokemon while adventuring.

Yeah, so pokemon was an escape for me. Still is.

LitWicked

Litwick Rampage
I actually watched the anime alot before I ever played the games and I didnt play until Emerald which I fell in love with. I always followed the "gotta catch them all" philosophy and would focus on collecting all the pokemon above training and battling the ones I already had. It was still a revolutionery experience for me though as I love RPGs in that vain.

1Zekrom

#1 fan & collector
I got into Pokemon a little after blue and red's american release. I also was a little to young to remember the details but what I do remember is getting my Pokemon yellow and my GBC on Christmas morning and never looking back.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Mom says so otherwise, but I do distinctly remember watching Pokémon from the day it first aired on Kids WB (I mean come on, I was an avid watcher of the channel as a kid, how could I not know of it?). I don't remember my attitude after seeing the first episode, but I kept on watching, and it just grew on me. I remember the entire elementary school being in a hype over Pokémon so I jumped right in almost immediately. I also remember doing roleplays at school with my friends and talking nonstop about the episode that day or whatnot (episodes were in the afternoon or right before school during the weekdays if my memory is correct). And when the movie came out, it was what we talked about for a bit.

One of my childhood best friends would be a fan of Pokémon until sometime after the third or fourth movie came out, but I remained a fan. I just a couple of months ago went back into watching the original series to find that it's still very charming, so it looks like I'll be slowly coming back into watching the anime after all these years. It felt natural to just slip right into the anime, since I've felt like I've really got to know the characters and their adventures. I wouldn't say they were like friends (even though that's the message the franchise conveys anyway), but I was always happy to see them. And thus far, since I'm an adult, I feel a lot better when I watch an episode. Probably helps the writing is just so quirky and charming, it just cheers you up when it doesn't make you roll your eyes.

I don't see myself leaving Pokémon any time soon, even if my parents grumble about it sometimes. (I think Mom secretly holds some fond memories, especially since she still likes Psyduck as her favorite Pokémon.)

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
I had an intense dislike for Pikachu long before I ever started playing. Pikachu was everywhere and I hated it. Wasn't until I played a borrowed copy of Blue that I really gave Pokemon a chance.

XX-SHADOW-XX

Sir Aaron's Lucario
When I was a kid I saw an ad for pokemon mystery dungeon blue rescue team and I wanted it. I watched the Anime and I drew pokemon constantly as a child. Then I got pokemon Diamond for my birthday circa 2007. I was hooked since then XD I loved it and most of my childhood drawings in my folder really reflect that XD

altars

Legendary Collector
Pokemon was something I'd always wanted to get into. On my birthday when I was about 10 years old (give or take) my mom bought me a Nintendo SP. She bought me a Dragon Ball Z game & I asked if I could take it back for Pokemon Sapphire. We did and I could NOT stop playing it. Everything about it amazed me.

That being said I was pretty much a noob. My favorite Pokemon was Rayquaza (who was also my first level 100 Pokemon) and I to this day have to catch everything! It bugs me if I don't. xD

I was more casual back then. Now I'm trying to get into EV/IV training and see if battles are for me and if they are then-- it's on. B)

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Kutie Pie said:
One of my childhood best friends would be a fan of Pokémon until sometime after the third or fourth movie came out, but I remained a fan. I just a couple of months ago went back into watching the original series to find that it's still very charming, so it looks like I'll be slowly coming back into watching the anime after all these years. It felt natural to just slip right into the anime, since I've felt like I've really got to know the characters and their adventures. I wouldn't say they were like friends (even though that's the message the franchise conveys anyway), but I was always happy to see them. And thus far, since I'm an adult, I feel a lot better when I watch an episode. Probably helps the writing is just so quirky and charming, it just cheers you up when it doesn't make you roll your eyes.

I'm watching the first season again, and I'm in love with it more than I was when I first watched. I just don't know why I hated the anime if it's still pretty much the same as before. I mean, I've watched some episodes of Best Wishes, and it doesn't seem to be so different than what first was. Not exactly the same thing, but not extremely different, either. I'll be watching the next seasons as soon as "Indigo League" ends, until 6th at least, haha!

And I can say Team Rocket were my friends. I mean, man, they would always make me lol when I was a tad bit sad or worried. Same with Misty, hehe.

emawerna

The first time I heard about pokemon was when a neighborhood kid was playing red or blue while his mother was driving us somewhere. For whatever reason, he couldn't save his pokemon game, so he didn't put it away when his mother told him to. Instead, he whined about how he had already caught 30ish pokemon. This set off a minor family squabble. So, my first impression of pokemon was that it was obnoxious just like how the boy was acting.