• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What did you like and dislike about Sun and Moon?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was literally the backstory from the games cut into pieces, lacking several plot points such as the parental abuse this series was frightened to show in any instance, and served way too late.

Not to mention his redemption got cut...

Soniman

Break the Limit
He seemed to redeem himself and Team Skull at the end, they don't seem like they will be trouble makers anymore.

The writers always change the villain team plots from the games and do their own thing with them, they went in the direction of Guzma they wanted to. Now Hau on the other hand is a character they basically screwed over in every way, but that's another story.
Hau wasn't even the writers trying to reinvent a game character for the anime like Guzma he was just half assedly slapped together as a second rate rival for Ash from beginning to end and had no victories, development or bonds with anyone. Terrible

Last edited:

TheNewGuy

Another thing that I liked:
Ash tackling Faba.

10/10 assault.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It was literally the backstory from the games cut into pieces, lacking several plot points such as the parental abuse this series was frightened to show in any instance, and served way too late.
What parental abuse? I always took the bent golf clubs to be Guzma beating up his dad before running away from home.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I’m too lazy to read the rest of these posts atm but let’s all agree that Electro Ball getting cut for Electroweb was a great move in SM’s part even if how it was learned was convoluted! (Then again, Electro Ball was out of nowhere too so eh)

I mean, sure nothing beats Volt Tackle but at least Pikachu doesn’t have a ball-shaped move anymore that came out of a series where they spammed ball moves so much.

Red and Blue

What parental abuse? I always took the bent golf clubs to be Guzma beating up his dad before running away from home.
Or he was fighting back after dealing with abuse from his father. The NPC did mention "trying to set his son straight". His behavior after losing in the game and shedding tears imply past trauma

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hau should have been in SM from the very beginning, Raichu being the main attraction while he just happens to have a Dartrix. Pikachu and Raichu's rivalry being the focus, mirroring their trainers.
The Rowlet rivalry was trash and just unnecessary. I'd rather have seen Pikachu overcome his Alolan cousin... it sucks they didn't even get to fight at all.

I’m too lazy to read the rest of these posts atm but let’s all agree that Electro Ball getting cut for Electroweb was a great move in SM’s part even if how it was learned was convoluted! (Then again, Electro Ball was out of nowhere too so eh)

I mean, sure nothing beats Volt Tackle but at least Pikachu doesn’t have a ball-shaped move anymore that came out of a series where they spammed ball moves so much.

I'm still hoping Electroweb gets the axe in the upcoming saga though. I don't like it and it doesn't suit Pikachu... but it's still better than Electro Snooze was. That move more than outstayed it's welcome, least we hardly see Electroweb

Or he was fighting back after dealing with abuse from his father. The NPC did mention "trying to set his son straight". His behavior after losing in the game and shedding tears imply past trauma

Yep, he was abused... SM defenders like to go 'SM is dark!' but the writers took the coward's way out and refused to touch on abuse. I can get why they passed on Lillie, seeing how she's a main character. But I don't enjoy them taking that from Guzma, it makes you understand why he ended up that way and makes him more sympathetic. Also, until a morally good human character dies, death is nothing special. Plenty of Pokemon have died in the past, SM did nothing new there!

DatsRight

Yep, he was abused... SM defenders like to go 'SM is dark!' but the writers took the coward's way out and refused to touch on abuse. I can get why they passed on Lillie, seeing how she's a main character. But I don't enjoy them taking that from Guzma, it makes you understand why he ended up that way and makes him more sympathetic. Also, until a morally good human character dies, death is nothing special. Plenty of Pokemon have died in the past, SM did nothing new there!

Mallow's Mom I guess?

While I wouldn't call SM dark, I do think it touched sensitive and poignant subject matter well enough, especially since it copped out or relied on formula far less often than previous series. I think they knew they would end up castrating a lot of the games' story so tried to add their own layer of development to compensate and show they weren't just about abolishing everything that gave Gen 7 depth. Even Lillie's PTSD story, which they cured in ridiculous pace, it felt like they at least tried to give it some proper weight, even if the whole setup and backstory doesn't quite make full sense. Again, I don't think the writers were used to getting this damn deep, not without the old formula taking over to let them breathe.

D

Deleted member 384931

I hated it that arc were rushed. Instead of developing the Pokémon they had, they used pointless fillers.

DatsRight

It's weird how Melmetal, despite being compressed so late into the series, still feels like a largely fully developed Pokemon (compare to Sandy or Shaymin caught just a little while before). The only thing it really got screwed over in was the trials and Z Moves (Ash got Steelium Z but Melmetal oddly never got to use it).

But yeah, SM seemed to keep largely to a 'main 4' out of Ash's Pokemon. It's especially obvious due to the animal motif they represent, while Ash's other two Pokemon are fantasy creatures.

DatsRight

Melmetal was like Glalie, a pokemon owned late and evolved quick, but used to its full potential. Noviern didn't feel the same because it didn't get a big win.

Also Noivern was kept pretty inactive until its evolution in spite of its longer run, while Meltan still seeped in odd minor battles and displays.

I feel like the series was very gradually trying to seep in the active mythical tier Pokemon, and Meltan was kind of the point they were getting more confident letting a trainer show them off, especially after it evolved. Poipole and Shaymin were also part of this transition, but they were kept way more tacit and in comic relief/cute pet roles most of the time until that point, like they worried they might be going too far at the time.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Melmetal was like Glalie, a pokemon owned late and evolved quick, but used to its full potential. Noviern didn't feel the same because it didn't get a big win.
Yeah, but Naganadel kinda feels like if Ash used Aipom against Brandon