• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What did you name yourself in Pokemon games?

Austratus

a paper man
How about a trip through memory lane, shall we?

Data from my original Blue and Crystal versions have been lost.
Green: コズイチ [Kozuichi]. I think I was trying to go for "Little Hammer" with this. That save file never continued far past the Boulder Badge.
Emerald: Ourichs, after a character I made up from a fake RPG.
Fire Red: Kleiver, also after something I made up from somewhere. The name came from some ultimate move from another fake RPG thing.
I didn't play a main game from the fourth generation.
Soul Silver: Karagu, after a character I GMed with in a forum RP that took place on Kingdom Hearts Ultimania.
White: Ace, after the protagonist from Final Fantasy Type-0. One of the few names I actually took from somewhere, rather than make up.
White 2: Rodney (original file), Lloyd (second file). ... Real names? Actually, I played W2 after X version. However...
X: Nixon. I wanted to have a name that had an "X" in it, but it also happens to be the closest thing I've ever used to my real name.
Omega Ruby: Duelleck. After the last name of a superhero character I created in Champions Online, Wheelman.
Alpha Sapphire: Merlwyn. A slight bastardization of the name used by a NPC from FFXIV's main story, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn (because Roegadyn names are awesome). Also, to this point, this is the only time I've used a female avatar in the series.

Fun fact: The trainer IDs of the Kami trio I've assembled in OR, when put in Pokedex order, actually spell out the full name of Wheelman's secret identity.

It's the DR Tornadus from the first White 2 play, the DR Thundurus from the second W2 play, and the Landorus from the OR mirage hunt.

Last edited:

k6666

Pikachu Fan
always use official name of game character for the first run game cause it their story
if i played it again like i always name it the reverse of my name

MattySadler

Always Matt.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I've used a variety of names throughout the years:

~Used my real name once, on Ruby. On LeafGreen, I used a longer version of my real name.
~Have used names inspired by other real-life people before.
~Named several characters after my pet bunnies (RIP) - Harry, Kris, Kiki

~A few "joke" names, e.g. my first Sapphire file with SOMEGUY.
~Random names I happen to come up with, e.g. Maria on Emerald.
~Using the Japanese names of Gym Leaders I like.
~If I don't have a name in mind, then I use the real names like Red, Brendan, Serena, etc.

I think that covers most of the names I've used.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
I've used other names mostly from characters I have created in my Sims stories, and rarely use my own name. Haven't since the orginal Johto games came out actually.

Restarted Diamond: Eirene (tenth generation legacy heiress)
Black: Vale
B2: Dalen
White/W2: Ani-Mei
X: Theia (my ninth generation legacy heiress)
Y: Virgil (eighth generation legacy heir)
AS: Yuna (FFX obviously, I wanted to be her when it first came out in 2002)
OR: Tidus (FFX again and the first FF character I actually had a crush on)

Marmist

Dark Type Trainer
I've always used some sort of variation of my real name, Jonathan. Always had to, because my name is 8 letters long, but the limit was 7 (Until the 5th gen, I think). The names were these:

Didn't play the first gen games. Blasphemy, I know.
2nd Gen: John
3rd gen: John first playthrough, Jon the second.
4th: Jon, John, and Jhonny. (Yes, people do actually spell it that way sometimes)
5th: Johnny, and I THINK this was the gen where I first used my full name, Jonathan.
6th X and Y: Jonathan and John
6th ORAS: Jonny. It's an ongoing joke between me and my friends that whenever they spell my name in an abbreviated fashion, they always leave out the H. This was a tribute to that.

TheGuy131

Revolutionary
I started naming myself after the 4th gen male protagonist Lucas. Not quite sure why that character's name and appearance stuck with me, but that's what I decided to do.

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
I've used my name on:

Blue
Yellow
Gold
Silver
Sapphire
FireRed
Emerald
Pearl
HeartGold
Black
Black 2

Amongst the other names I've used:

Yellow: YELLOW, then RED
Silver: SILVER
FireRed: RED
Emerald: BRENDAN
Platinum: Lucas
SoulSilver: Silver
Black: Black

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I usually just use my name but I did a Y run with a black girl character named Beyoncé and I named my Fennekin Blue Ivy.

SoulOfSilver

Gym Leader
I usually use a male character and my name if it's the first game of a new gen. Then in the other versions of the gen I'll use my dogs names or names of my favorite celebrities. For instance:

Pt: First Scott, then restarted as Gwen (Stefani)
SS: Thomas (my middle name)
White: Dexter (dog)
Black 2: Murphy (dog)
X/AS: Scott
Y: Chloe (my dog)
OR: Lena (Dunham)

PanpourHoopa

I name myself Shiloh in every game

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
I've been naming my trainer after myself since Platinum. The only times I used a different name were in Firered (Yuki), Leafgreen (Karmen), Sapphire (Nikki), Emerald (Sakura), Pearl (Dawn), OR (Leila), and I think HG (Lyra).

Last edited:

Rika24

Fire Pokemon Trainer
my first play through i always use my actual name, Suzie. When i do a Nuzlocke i always use Kaylee. sometimes i'll use Shira though like in White 2.