• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What did you think of Ash's Poipole?

What did you think of Ash's Poipole?

• I liked it (please explain why )

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I did not like it (please explain why)

Votes: 20 64.5%

• Total voters

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
So yeah what did you think of Ash's Poipole?

I for one didn't like it, it felt like a waste of space it had only one battle and that was against Team Skull who are laughably weak all the while displaying only one move.

On top of that it just felt like on big tease at fans who wanted Ash to permanently own a Pokemon like it and that's putting it nicely.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Didn't like it. Same reasons, felt like a waste of a slot, was there for 20+ episodes and received only 2 focus episodes (and the Minior one didn't even feel important). Most baby Pokémon generally start as babies, but show some growth in character, yet I felt that Poipole continued to remain a baby and remain super childish till the very end. It's relationship with Necrozma was also only briefly touched upon once before the actual arc began, so that made its purpose in the team feel even more unnecessary.

For me, Poipole is definitely the worst 'temporary legendary'. If I have to rank, it'll be: Zygarde>Meloetta>Cosmog>Poipole

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I didn't feel much about it tbh. It spends most of the screentime having fun and less on training, in which this series so far lacks anyways.

But I understand why they put it on Ash's team though. They gonna have to promote/market it during its appearences, and Ash is the one who gets the most spotlights in this show.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I liked his character and actually kinda cared about him, so his departure worked, but he really should've done more

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
A rehashed Larvitar: was around with the main cast for a few episodes, pretty much never battled, the impact of it in the arc being solely through it's back story and not itself doing anything meaningful, left in the end without doing anything meaningful + also not evolving in its climax, I don't really think honestly there's a better way to put it. The only difference between it and Larvitar was that it was technically caught, which made it even worse tham Larvitar, because it wasted a slot on Ash's team for about 24 episodes. The purpose it served possibly is marketing with its cuteness.

But I'm not disappointed, because after how Lusamine words foreshadowed its release in the very episode it was caught, and how they were barely having it do anything except from revealing its influential backstory (important towards the arc), I knew this was coming. :)

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I liked it. It was super adorable, kind of mischievous, and it's habit of spinning around when it's excited filled my heart up with joy. Sure, it was like Nebby where it stood there to look cute but it's better than Nebby where Ash didn't steal it from Lillie it's bond with Ash and Pikachu were clear and consistent from beginning to end where Ash was the parent and support system to go to when it felt down, it was more involved in episodes that taught the viewers what it felt to have to lose someone you cared about and spent time with only to be gone in an instant, it paintings were a neat trait it possessed, and it's journey wasn't about suddenly evolving to wipe out the threat for it's friends. All it wanted was help from it's world and when it's mission was accomplished, it had to leave behind it's feelings and stay where it belonged, despite it seeing Ash and Pikachu as it's Alola family, despite having the potential to get stronger and evolve into something that could protect it's home had it stayed with Ash, despite the colorful, shining world it stumbled upon... Poipole seemed way more meaningful than Nebby whereas Nebby was just a constant teleporting, crying mess that was shared between Ash and Lillie and when it evolved, lost all it's traits and became a ride to the Ultra World and possessed tool. It's farewell wasn't forced, it was silent and bittersweet. It stayed as Poipole. A baby Pokémon that looked on the brighter side for once where leaving didn't always mean "goodbye forever" but "see you until we meet again."

Also it's one of the few Pokémon where Ash explicitly says (and returns) "I love you!":)

D

Deleted member 384931

It was a pokémon who didnt do much. For example you learned something about Squishy in the episode of XY or from Nebby in the episodes. Poipole didnt. I dont get why it even learned a move tbh.
Ash will never own a legendary pokémon or an UB for always

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It was a pokémon who didnt do much. For example you learned something about Squishy in the episode of XY or from Nebby in the episodes. Poipole didnt. I dont get why it even learned a move tbh.
Ash will never own a legendary pokémon or an UB for always
It did learn/use Fury Attack though.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I dont know what was the point of poipole in the main cast, even larvitar in OS got better devlopment in 7 episodes than poipole got in 23 episodes, not only that ot took away a spot and time from ash's team which he could have developed his 5th permanent member to. It was pointless.

keepitsimple

site of lies
What I think is that I'll probably forget that Ash had a Poipole when I look back on SM in a few years

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I dont know what was the point of poipole in the main cast, even larvitar in OS got better devlopment in 7 episodes than poipole got in 23 episodes, not only that ot took away a spot and time from ash's team which he could have developed his 5th permanent member to. It was pointless.
That best way honestly to put it is that Poipole was basically a rehashed Larvitar, whist being an even worser version of Larvitar. At least Larvitar didn't waste a spot on Ash's team for 24 episodes, as it didn't get technically captured.

MattySadler

Instantly forgettable.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Wwwwwwhat! Is it because of how Poipole's ending was so rushed it instantly made every lovable characteristic it had crumble? Because if so... eh, that's understandable. Honestly though I thought the adventures Ash and Poipole had were pretty memorable despite that lackluster ending.

So I suppose at this point we should make comparisons between Poipole and the GS Ball? Cause, I feel like that would be a pretty interesting discussion...

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Poipole. It wasn't as annoying as I initially thought it might be, and even though it followed another baby Pokémon (Nebby), it was different enough that it didn't feel like a rehash. It was playful and a bit mischievous, but not obnoxiously so. It probably didn't get as much focus as it should have, but it had some good moments--the Minior episode, for instance, was a bit emotional, and its farewell was incredibly emotional, precisely because it was sudden and a but rushed due to the Ultra Wormhole closing.

I do think the writers should have given it more focus and elaborated more on its backstory earlier, but I still liked it.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Poipole. It wasn't as annoying as I initially thought it might be, and even though it followed another baby Pokémon (Nebby), it was different enough that it didn't feel like a rehash. It was playful and a bit mischievous, but not obnoxiously so. It probably didn't get as much focus as it should have, but it had some good moments--the Minior episode, for instance, was a bit emotional, and its farewell was incredibly emotional, precisely because it was sudden and a but rushed due to the Ultra Wormhole closing.

I do think the writers should have given it more focus and elaborated more on its backstory earlier, but I still liked it.
I really like how up close and personal Ash was with his treatment towards Poipole. It felt like ages since Ash openly comforted and expressed through words how much he loved his Pokémon that wasn't "we battled through tough opponents and got stronger together." It's kind of like how Lillie puts Ash in an unfamiliar position where he learns that not every situation is black and white where instead of using training as a means to bond over, or battling in general, Ash notices it's little quirks, values Poipole as an individual, and actively parents the little guy. It's pretty cute seeing Ash having to scold it when Poipole acts out (kind of reminds me of his mother.) I feel like Ash's relationship with Poipole was based more on the emotional side of him, I just loved watching scenes where Ash is explicitly comforting it and showing affection, teaching it hard life lessons, slowly influencing it into battles, and finding it hard to let go. Poipole is one of the few Pokémon that Ash actively took care of that didn't involve training it and instead, a more parental touch to their relationship. Ash's expressions and his actions stole the show... even something subtle as Pikachu reaching out and holding out his hand after learning the news and looking back at it, never taking Poipole out of his sight had meaning. It wasn't just Ash that was affected, but Pikachu as well. He too felt overjoyed and emotional when he saw Poipole's drawing with Ash... which says a lot since Pikachu is barely touched upon when it comes to goodbye scenes.