• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do we have to prevent a hacking like what happened last year?

Kuchiyose...Rashoumon!

I AM IRON MAN!!!
Yes, yes, it's me, the guy who threw ol' stretchy around in a botched attempt to get banned. But I do regret doing that, as these forums aren't as bad as I thought they were. Anyways, you guys remember the hacking of the site that took place in mid-2006, right? I was just thinking back on it, and I realized something:What do we have to prevent something like that from happening again? This site really could use more security. Just a shout-out. And no, I have no intention of trying to get myself banned again.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
We're protected

Manene

The Ultimate Absol~
Can I ask how? What, do we have a system that keeps hackers out (like a firewall)?

nesgirl119

In Nintendo Exhile
Yes, yes, it's me, the guy who threw ol' stretchy around in a botched attempt to get banned. But I do regret doing that, as these forums aren't as bad as I thought they were. Anyways, you guys remember the hacking of the site that took place in mid-2006, right? I was just thinking back on it, and I realized something:What do we have to prevent something like that from happening again? This site really could use more security. Just a shout-out. And no, I have no intention of trying to get myself banned again.

B/c anyone who hacks this website will suffer the wrath of the members, who are happy on here, and desire to have the freedom to talk about Pokemon w/o some moron coming in to hack it. Sometimes, people who aren't members also, will attempt to hit the moron upside, b/c they use the website for valuable game hints, so they don't have to go to a game store to buy a Player's Guide for any of the games.

Seriously, not only did Serebii install a better security system, but he has the loyalty of his members and his friends to help him protect the site, and sometimes can receive a little bit of outside help also.
Also....

Us members are the firewall to helping Serebii keep safe, plus the fact he upgraded to a better security system works as well.

facetious

facetious
It's hilarious how some of you act as if you know exactly what transpired (by the way, your prevention ideas suck). What happened was the so-called "hacker" broke into Serebii's e-mail account. His e-mail was linked with his registrar, and in turn the "hacker" was able to mess with the website.

How can we prevent that happening again? Common sense, which Serebii has none of, sadly. :(

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
It's hilarious how some of you act as if you know exactly what transpired (by the way, your prevention ideas suck). What happened was the so-called "hacker" broke into Serebii's e-mail account. His e-mail was linked with his registrar, and in turn the "hacker" was able to mess with the website.

How can we prevent that happening again? Common sense, which Serebii has none of, sadly. :(
Yes, thats it...common sense. My password wasn't easy to guess thank you very much. Unless you randomly guess a random 13 digit alphanumeric code

GardeBoy

the other white meat
Yes, thats it...common sense. My password wasn't easy to guess thank you very much. Unless you randomly guess a random 13 digit alphanumeric code

in other words, the site is protected in exactly the same way as before, and your just hoping our would-be haxor dousnt get lucky again?

p.s. did we ever actually get some idea of the guys identity?

Sophia Ryu

Pokemon Breeder

(User was banned for this post)

Rule 1: Ban Hammer > Your opinion

;026;

FireKero!

SWABLR
Rule 1: Ban Hammer > Your opinion

;026;

Is a shame, really. :(

Unless you randomly guess a random 13 digit alphanumeric code

l0l. I'm4 sta4t guessing111!!1

in other words, the site is protected in exactly the same way as before, and your just hoping our would-be haxor dousnt get lucky again?

p.s. did we ever actually get some idea of the guys identity?

I don't think we ever found out (not to sure) but I'm sure Joe did changed his password and added some protection stuff. So this should happen again (or anytime soon, at least).

Cinaclov

Pokemon Veteran
Can I ask how? What, do we have a system that keeps hackers out (like a firewall)?

Asking how something is protected is fairly stupid. Theyre not going to say "yes, well, we have *insert protection specifics here*" for obvious reasons.

Actually, why would someone hack here? As far as i see it its just a pokemon resource, and the only reson i can think of is that someone was bored.