• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you find annoying about your/somebody elses accent

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I've said y'all're before. I actually use it often. It's a very Southern thing to use y'all and other words based on it :)

Josiah

is your favorite
Was anyone else confused when they read Harry Potter and people kept saying "erm"? I knew what it meant, but I forgot that the characters were intended to be British. I pronounced the r instead of making it sound somewhat like an American "um".

Chaos Rush

I've always thought having a British accent would be really cool... so I guess I'm "annoyed" about the fact that I don't have a British accent D:

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
At least you're not the only one... I nearly ruined our school play back in primary school. And I was Pharaoh in the bible at the time...

I'm so lucky I played sports. You really can't mess up saying "here", "open", "screen" or "shot" during a basketball game.

TAFL

[USER TITLE]
I've said y'all're before. I actually use it often. It's a very Southern thing to use y'all and other words based on it :)

Y'all is the greatest contraction ever.

Since I've lived in Texas my whole life I use it all the time.

But what annoys me is that my roommate (Norwegian) always uses an (very fake sounding) Irish accent around the ladies.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Was anyone else confused when they read Harry Potter and people kept saying "erm"? I knew what it meant, but I forgot that the characters were intended to be British. I pronounced the r instead of making it sound somewhat like an American "um".

Actually, the 'r' is pronounced softly. But I don't think it's the sort of thing that foreign ears can pick up on.

mrsora

Magically Delicious!
It's probably a combonation of the accent and the technology used, but I really hate talking to my IT department because they're all Indian or Arabic with relatively poor English to begin with, then it sounds like they're talking through a 70s McDonald's Drive Thru microphone. It sounds like a poorly dubbed teacher from Charlie Brown telling me to defrag the freaking computer again.

Josiah

is your favorite
Actually, the 'r' is pronounced softly. But I don't think it's the sort of thing that foreign ears can pick up on.
I was under the impression that it changed the vowel sound. British English has more vowels than American English, and some of them are almost exclusively found where historic r was dropped. I didn't think there was such thing as pronouncing a consonant more softly. It either is or isn't pronounced.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
I don't really care about accents, although Bostonian accents I find hilarious.

DasBoot

I tend to have a mid west accent. I don't know about my voice much, but I have a really deep voice for my age, and I tend to get "Puberty?" a lot.. -.-

FiremanLV5

I hate how nasal American accents can be. I also hate deep south American accents because they all sound like their speech has been slowed down to an unbearable pace xD. Once in an English class, we were watching a program about Harper Lee, and it had interviews with people who knew her and DEAR GOD the way they spoke D:

Ethan

Banned
I like some Southern accents. There are different kinds. Carry Underwood has a nice sounding Southern one, imo.

Went to a party yesterday, and of course the same routine happens. I get asked "Where are you from???" or "Are you English?" or "No no it doesn't sound English but it sounds so proper...where are you from?"

And then when I answer with "I lived almost everywhere but most of the time I spent growing up is in Kentucky and Ohio" and they're stumped. I wish like an expert would just come and tell me what accent I have so I could answer all the people that ask me. :/

FiremanLV5

My mum's a voice expert, so she could probably tell you xD Though the liklihood is that it's just a mixture of different accents you heard growing up in different places.

FiremanLV5

Hah, good luck. I spent 20 minutes this morning trying to get her to understand about privacy settings on Facebook and why I'm not in danger of getting raped by strangers. Skype will be like rocket science to her xD

That was totally on topic.

7 tyranitars

I think the southern accent (usa) is anoying, I don't know why but it's like someon is poking me with a needle the entire time

pokemon491 FTW

Percussionist
I get annoyed with my Spanish(Latin,not Euro)accent.Sometimes I speak to fast,or I roll my "r"s.Then there comes the time I start speaking Spanglish....

SteelMetagross

Certified Trainer
I get annoyed with my Spanish(Latin,not Euro)accent.Sometimes I speak to fast,or I roll my "r"s.Then there comes the time I start speaking Spanglish....

no offense but when your a native english speaker, people with your accents sound hilarious.
.Went to a party yesterday, and of course the same routine happens. I get asked "Where are you from???" or "Are you English?" or "No no it doesn't sound English but it sounds so proper...where are you from?"

And then when I answer with "I lived almost everywhere but most of the time I spent growing up is in Kentucky and Ohio" and they're stumped. I wish like an expert would just come and tell me what accent I have so I could answer all the people that ask me. :/

I know how you feel. I have never lived anywhere but the south yet I've had kids on the xBox ask me if I was English. (as in brittish) -_-

Last edited:

The Wargle

~The Wargle
My only problem is a lack of an English accent. Sound American >.<