• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you hope happens with Axew before the series ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
It will stay exactly the same, there's no need for it to do anything else plot wise.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
I would love it to evolve or learn a new move while Claire is around. But it evolving seems very unlikely now since XY is coming in a few months. The time span seems very small to included such an unexpected evolution.

naughtynun

If it doesn't evolve then Iris has failed it achieve its dream and hasn't met her goal, as shown in the Axew backstory episode. I think the writers intended to evolve but then got lazy and decided to use it as a mindless marketing tool alongside Oshawott, Snivy, Scraggy and Pikachu.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I think it should stay exactly the same! I'd like if he truly won a great match at the last episode, showing his improvement and strength. Then when Iris returns in XY, she has an Axew in her hair but it's not this Axew, she reveals she caught another Axew and reveals her fully evolved previous Axew. I don't see the problem with her going and evolving it fully off-screen. Especially if she returns and she could possibly the Gym Leader or even Champion (although becoming Champion then would be kind of wierd after such a short time, maybe if she returned in one or two generations after this one giving a lot of time between.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
If it doesn't evolve then Iris has failed it achieve its dream and hasn't met her goal, as shown in the Axew backstory episode. I think the writers intended to evolve but then got lazy and decided to use it as a mindless marketing tool alongside Oshawott, Snivy, Scraggy and Pikachu.

The Elder said she was doing fine, evolution wasn't everything and she saw that Iris and Axew progressed towards their goal, she is 10, Hikari and Haruka didn't win the GF, Kasumi isn't a water master.

You have no idea what you talk about as usual, its not the writers decision to make something a marketing tool, they just write what is asked, I still think Axew didn't evolve because they had the dumb idea of keeping it outside the pokeball like Piplup and like an animator mentioned it would be kinda wierd/awkward(don't remember the exact wording) to have to draw Fraxure, etc and if we go by current animation, attacks, etc even though some people say the animators have no say in the story, they clearly do, specially with the use of stock footage, if they didn't evolve it due to marketing it has nothing to do with lazyness but about what the boss tells them, they don't have complete creative freedom for their work.

Snivy was never promoted that much, she should have just evolved, they didn't use her at all for a lot of time, same with Scraggy, so they stopped using them in that sense.

naughtynun

The Elder said she was doing fine, evolution wasn't everything and she saw that Iris and Axew progressed towards their goal, she is 10, Hikari and Haruka didn't win the GF, Kasumi isn't a water master.

You have no idea what you talk about as usual, its not the writers decision to make something a marketing tool, they just write what is asked, I still think Axew didn't evolve because they had the dumb idea of keeping it outside the pokeball like Piplup and like an animator mentioned it would be kinda wierd/awkward(don't remember the exact wording) to have to draw Fraxure, etc and if we go by current animation, attacks, etc even though some people say the animators have no say in the story, they clearly do, specially with the use of stock footage, if they didn't evolve it due to marketing it has nothing to do with lazyness but about what the boss tells them, they don't have complete creative freedom for their work.

Snivy was never promoted that much, she should have just evolved, they didn't use her at all for a lot of time, same with Scraggy, so they stopped using them in that sense.

I don't know what I'm talking about!? You're the one saying the Iris not evolving her Axew despite its own goal being to do just that is ok! How can you justify Axew doing squat all saga other than trolling viewers with its pathetic antics of getting lost all the time and being no more than a living afrocomb? The writers, or animators, or anime bosses, whichever is to blame didn't evolve Axew because someone, somewhere thinks Axew is cute as it is and wants it to be a marketing tool. Some throwaway comment by the Elder, put in to cover the mistakes of the Anime staff, does not in any way justify the main Pokemon of a character, one we saw in EVERY ONE of over a hundred BW episodes doing nothing but learn two moves. It didn't progress in any real way.

Iris' Dragonite was clearly a last-minute compensation for their mistakes with Axew. Its like they said 'we can't be bothered to evolve Axew like we hinted we would, so I know, lets give her a fully-evolved Dragon to make up for it', of course going for the most unoriginal dragon out there, given that every Dragon trainer seems to have Dragonite.

All other female companions made steps towards their goal, with the possible exception of Misty. Dawn and May caught and developed at least some of their Pokemon, May having many evolutions (Hoenn was good for those) and both trainers working hard to achieve their goal. Misty caught lots of Water-types but admittedly didn't do much with them. However, she was the first companion and things seem to have gotten better as you would expect them to, until BW. BW is summarised best by the word 'regression'. In so many ways it regressed and with female companions, it did for sure.

What did Iris do? It caught a fully-evolved Dragon out of the blue that was just a rehash of Charizard, Mamoswine and even Exacdrill, also owned by Iris. The 'I'm strong and I'm not going obey. Oh actually, changed my mind' caricature has been overdone. She, according to tradition caught the regional electric rodent that was there to appeal to four-year old girls by eating apples and having catfights with Ash's Snivy. Did it learn any new moves? Was it used much in battle after the BW1 series ended? Exacdrill was ok, apart from the aforementioned rehash of the disobedience storyline. It wasn't used much considering it was her starter.

The frustrating thing with Iris is that her storyline could have been really good. The Anime Staff could have developed her to the point where she was competent enough to DEFEAT Drayden and replace him as Gym Leader. They could have made Ash face his companion in the final Gym, with her team being fully developed (and having more than one usable Dragon on it). Instead we had that wet fart of an episode where after hundreds of episodes of Ash's team being a Weezing and Arbok at once with one Pokemon, he lost half of his team to some haxified Koffing...

Axew for me summarises Iris' development during BW. Non-existant.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
It would be nice if Iris's Axew evolve, and I hope he dosen't end up like Dawn's Piplup.

RainbowMagikarp64

When I Evolve...
Well, maybe it'll evolve into a Fraxure in a farewell battle against Ash. That'd be interesting, though I highly doubt it.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I don't know what I'm talking about!? You're the one saying the Iris not evolving her Axew despite its own goal being to do just that is ok! How can you justify Axew doing squat all saga other than trolling viewers with its pathetic antics of getting lost all the time and being no more than a living afrocomb? The writers, or animators, or anime bosses, whichever is to blame didn't evolve Axew because someone, somewhere thinks Axew is cute as it is and wants it to be a marketing tool. Some throwaway comment by the Elder, put in to cover the mistakes of the Anime staff, does not in any way justify the main Pokemon of a character, one we saw in EVERY ONE of over a hundred BW episodes doing nothing but learn two moves. It didn't progress in any real way.

Iris' Dragonite was clearly a last-minute compensation for their mistakes with Axew. Its like they said 'we can't be bothered to evolve Axew like we hinted we would, so I know, lets give her a fully-evolved Dragon to make up for it', of course going for the most unoriginal dragon out there, given that every Dragon trainer seems to have Dragonite.

All other female companions made steps towards their goal, with the possible exception of Misty. Dawn and May caught and developed at least some of their Pokemon, May having many evolutions (Hoenn was good for those) and both trainers working hard to achieve their goal. Misty caught lots of Water-types but admittedly didn't do much with them. However, she was the first companion and things seem to have gotten better as you would expect them to, until BW. BW is summarised best by the word 'regression'. In so many ways it regressed and with female companions, it did for sure.

What did Iris do? It caught a fully-evolved Dragon out of the blue that was just a rehash of Charizard, Mamoswine and even Exacdrill, also owned by Iris. The 'I'm strong and I'm not going obey. Oh actually, changed my mind' caricature has been overdone. She, according to tradition caught the regional electric rodent that was there to appeal to four-year old girls by eating apples and having catfights with Ash's Snivy. Did it learn any new moves? Was it used much in battle after the BW1 series ended? Exacdrill was ok, apart from the aforementioned rehash of the disobedience storyline. It wasn't used much considering it was her starter.

The frustrating thing with Iris is that her storyline could have been really good. The Anime Staff could have developed her to the point where she was competent enough to DEFEAT Drayden and replace him as Gym Leader. They could have made Ash face his companion in the final Gym, with her team being fully developed (and having more than one usable Dragon on it). Instead we had that wet fart of an episode where after hundreds of episodes of Ash's team being a Weezing and Arbok at once with one Pokemon, he lost half of his team to some haxified Koffing...

My goodness. I've read this cover to cover and I have to agree with you. It would seem strange having Axew evolve after not really doing much of anything only just to leave. I rather see it evolve off screen and come back later than to see that now only to now give poor Axew a plot which it needed episodes ago.

SceptileTheBanana

DRAGON TAIL!
I want Axew to evolve but not get more mature. I don't understand people who are whining about Axew being childish or whatever, he is a child, isn't he? So if he evolves before the series ends or has evolved for Iris' possible cameo in XY, I hope he isn't in his ball and is just as '' childish '' as before, not a cool mature aggressive battling machine.

Iris: Where's Haxorus?

Ash: Up there!

Iris: Haxorus, get down from there this instant! That telephone pole is not a toy!

*Haxorus breaks the telephone pole, knocking out the electricity to the pokemon center, causing them to waste an entire episode trying to fix it*

Haxorus: *Starts crying and jumps into Iris's hair*

Yep that'll work :p

Last edited:

naughtynun

My goodness. I've read this cover to cover and I have to agree with you. It would seem strange having Axew evolve after not really doing much of anything only just to leave. I rather see it evolve off screen and come back later than to see that now only to now give poor Axew a plot which it needed episodes ago.

:) Good point, it would seem forced at this stage, without any development or battle prowess to justify an evolution!

Everlasting

Everything stays.

I read this all over and I have to thank you for being so real and direct with your point. The only sad side of it is the fact that everything you said is the truth.
I'm sure the writers, or what ever the person who wrote the entire serie, could have done way better for Iris. Like you said, other girls acheived something, did something important in their goals or dreams, while Iris just stands there and do nothing, nothing at all. This saddens me a lot because Iris is a character that I loved since the first episode and I find it too bad that she didn't have the chance to show off who she really was...

Last edited:

naughtynun

I read this all over and I have to thank you for being so real and direct with your point. The only sad side of it is the fact that everything you said is the truth.
I'm sure the writers, or what ever the person who wrote the entire serie, could have done way better for Iris. Like you said, other girls acheived something, did something important in their goals or dreams, while Iris just stands there and do nothing, nothing at all. This saddens me a lot because Iris is a character that I loved since the first episode and I find it too bad that she didn't had the chance to show off who she really was...

I'm glad you appreciated it! :)

NPT

Just a member
Iris: Where's Haxorus?

Ash: Up there!

Iris: Haxorus, get down from there this instant! That telephone pole is not a toy!

*Haxorus breaks the telephone pole, knocking out the electricity to the pokemon center, causing them to waste an entire episode trying to fix it*

Haxorus: *Starts crying and jumps into Iris's hair*

Yep that'll work :p

This! Iris's Axew should get more mature if it evolves, or else it'll be stupid.

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I think axew would definitely get more mature. It's not like he has a crazy personality like oshawott, he just is babyish, but would change if he evolved. I would see it being just really calm and tame as a fraxure and haxurous.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
well i kinda hope axew got evo to fraxure in the end and when iris make cameo in XY ( as champion LOOL) axew become Haxorus XD
Scarggy can stay the way it is or evo same time with axew or in kalos ( ala Phanpy )

Status
Not open for further replies.