• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you look for in a Sonic game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Well since several people on here want to get personal and say what they're really feeling....

YES IT IS because it's the only thing I've EVER seen people *****ing about when it comes to that game.

The motorcyles sucked too.

You know what? I LIKED every game past SA2. I think they're good games, but apparently that makes me a bad fan just because I'm not some whiny loser that nerd rages over how a video game company handles their license.

Even Sonic06? And its not our fault if sega makes lackbuster games and we want better.

Maybe the REAL problem with sonic games is that people need to stop acting like a bunch of crying *****es and shut the **** up.

U mad bro?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
SA2->suckfest till ->sonic unleashed was kinda decent -> Colors was okay. Thats how I feel.
Shadow the Hedgehog just had badly put together game play and well level design. I mean I played through all the levels and every different cutscene. And well...I felt the game was so hallow on the inside. It wasn't even fun. I don't know why I even bothered playing it that far but I really wanted to see if there was even one fun level. I guess the dark atmosphere sorta killed the fun by itself.
I'd rather play sonic heroes.

Chris

Old Coot
The storyline can boost how good a game is, and it's one of the factors (one of them) in making Sonic Adventure 2 my favourite 3D Sonic game.
It can also be used to try covering up how weak the gameplay is or as a cheap ploy to have the player accept why they're playing a certain way. Which is exactly what SA2 did.

SA2's story had no real place in the Sonic universe with the tone it presented. The Sonic series is NOT something that should ever be taken seriously or viewed as going for "dark" and "edgy." Take note of how doing that has worked oh so well for Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

Oh wait.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The problem here is that the cast is already too large, with there already being far too many hedgehogs as is. Nevermind the fact that Silver also got slapped with the "everyone is colorblind" gag where no one can seem to tell the difference between a blue hedgehog and differently colored ones.

Shadow alone was pushing the limit, as things were fine enough with Sonic, Amy and Metal Sonic.
I think we're inevitably going to have different opinions. I will say this though. I believe that they shouldn't extend the cast of characters, but work with the ones they have created. Characters like the Babylon Rogues will work in their own games, so the focus would be the continual characters' roles. They could take Genesis route, where each character has different abilities to reach different areas. They could have the Advance route, where they pretty much go the same route but have their own strengths and weaknesses. They can go the Rush route, where the characters act pretty much the same with slight differences. They could even go the radical Adventure route, where the characters work on their own parts of the story using different abilities.

That is how I see it working from my perspective. I feel that taking one or more of the routes would be beneficial.

Buizelster

The motorcyles sucked too.[/quote[

eh I don't know. Motorcycles are always cool.. Though admittingly it took a while to get the controls down.

Even Sonic06? And its not our fault if sega makes lackbuster games and we want better.

When I played it I definitely thought it would be worse than it turned out to be. Heck I didn't even understand why people hated silver. He really wasn't all that bad a character. If we're talking about glitches though then all the 3D games had that. I can't tell you how many times I fell through rails and floors in both sonic adventure games. Not to mention sonic heroes.

U mad bro?

More like fed up with the people who think acting like assholes to people make themselves sound more intelligent. Maybe I went a bit overboard but my patience was at it's limit, and honestly there's not much you can do on a text based forum. That's why they need to invent something that all you have to do is press a button and it punches the person on the other side of the screen in the face.

Chris

Old Coot
If we're talking about glitches though then all the 3D games had that. I can't tell you how many times I fell through rails and floors in both sonic adventure games.
Difference is that the glitches and faults of Sonic '06 rendered it unplayable for anyone but the die hard Sonic fans, whereas the glitches in the Adventure series were tolerable and didn't always interfere with the game.

Buizelster

Difference is that the glitches and faults of Sonic '06 rendered it unplayable for anyone but the die hard Sonic fans, whereas the glitches in the Adventure series were tolerable and didn't always interfere with the game.

Well I'm not one to give up on a game no matter how frustrating the glitches are. That's letting the game win.

Or maybe I'm just a die hard fan.

Chris

Old Coot
Well I'm not one to give up on a game no matter how frustrating the glitches are. That's letting the game win.

Or maybe I'm just a die hard fan.
Except when said glitches are not supposed to be a part of the game. Hence them being glitches. That only works when a game is "Nintendo Hard."

CAH

Calm And Hyper
It can also be used to try covering up how weak the gameplay is or as a cheap ploy to have the player accept why they're playing a certain way. Which is exactly what SA2 did.

SA2's story had no real place in the Sonic universe with the tone it presented. The Sonic series is NOT something that should ever be taken seriously or viewed as going for "dark" and "edgy." Take note of how doing that has worked oh so well for Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

Oh wait.

That's your opinion. I disagree and think the gameplay AND the storyline was good, and stand by my view that a good storyline can increase how good a game is.

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro were taken over by companies who clearly didn't have the same touch as Naughty Dog. The storyline is not the only thing to blame in that scenario.

The legend of Zelda took a "dark" and "edgy" theme in Twilight Princess and it was awesome.

You may dislike Sonic Adventure's storyline, but I think it's their most well implemented and thought out storyline.

Why would you post on a message board if you don't want to be argued with? Regardless this will happen so I guess you should just ignore it.

It's not even just being argued with, it's people trying to push their opinions on other people even though they're all subjective. It's stupid to try and convince someone else that a certain song or game they like is not good because it's all based on individual feeling.

My point is that even though this thread was "what do YOU look for in a Sonic game" everyone feels the need to attack each others opinions rather than actually answer the question in the thread.

Last edited:

Chris

Old Coot
The legend of Zelda took a "dark" and "edgy" theme in Twilight Princess and it was awesome.
Except it wasn't all that great, got a little too influenced by the "brown and bloom" fad that was started with the rise of HD consoles and even Miyamoto has expressed he was not satisfied with TP.

It was one of the weaker entries in the series and you can see they're avoiding the whole "dark and "edgy" theme purposely with Skyward Sword, which works far better.

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Except it wasn't all that great, got a little too influenced by the "brown and bloom" fad that was started with the rise of HD consoles and even Miyamoto has expressed he was not satisfied with TP.

It was one of the weaker entries in the series and you can see they're avoiding the whole "dark and "edgy" theme purposely with Skyward Sword, which works far better.

I think it was brilliant, and one of the best in the series. I think Skyward Sword makes Link look like Peter Pan and it's too toony for my liking.

It's clear that we both have different views on this subjective matter.

There's little more to say except deal with it an move on.

Dattebayo

Banned
I think it was brilliant, and one of the best in the series. I think Skyward Sword makes Link look like Peter Pan and it's too toony for my liking.

It's clear that we both have different views on this subjective matter.

There's little more to say except deal with it an move on.

Now you're just sounding like my former friend who thinks Zelda is not for kids. Not every game needs has to be dark and edgy, and that includes Sonic.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
If anybody think Twilight Princess is on of best entries into the series, I have to question your taste in Zelda games.

Top 3 in Order....

Wind Waker>OoT>Link to the Past.

This is a fact, and can't be disputed.

Buizelster

If anybody think Twilight Princess is on of best entries into the series, I have to question your taste in Zelda games.

Top 3 in Order....

Wind Waker>OoT>Link to the Past.

This is a fact, and can't be disputed.

What was wrong with Twilight Princess? Other than the difficulty being ridiculously high the first time you turn wolf.

What was wrong with Twilight Princess? Other than the difficulty being ridiculously high the first time you turn wolf.

>Twilight Princess
>Hard
Pick one. Twilight Princess was probably one of the easiest in the series, as long as you were playing the Gamecube version. The Wii's controls were too gimmicky, especially when you were learning the special sword techniques. Twilight Princess had probably the shortest completion time, even with going and doing ALL sidequests and heart containers, and had some of the more bland boss fights in the series. It had a nice storyline, for the most part, and had one of my favorite villains of all time, don't get me wrong. Zant was amazing....the game was just a bit lackluster, though.

This has nothing to do with sonic, which is the reason I'm posting now. Now I shall go back to just reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.