• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you look for in a Sonic game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick

Banned
CAH is digging himself into a very deep hole that he will not be able to get out of.

Buizelster

I always saw SA2 as just your basic evil twin storyline. Where was the amazing plot that somehow makes SA2 better than others? Heck I honestly liked all the future games past SA2, and heck I'll admit even if you take out the guns shadow the hedgehog wasn't all THAT terrible a game.

But of course I'll be called a troll because how dare I think such a thing? When I should be acting just as bitter and whiny as every other sonic fan who claims they never get what they want.

Buizelster

You don't know what a troll is do you?

I guess not since people use it so much that it's lost all meaning anyways.

Skydra

What I look for in a good Sonic game is a game that's fun and has enough content. Is there anything else to want?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I like Sonic games that give a clever use for the other characters. I would say Sonic Adventure, Sonic Rush Adventure, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles were fair examples. I don't like the idea of the cast killing because there is potential in most of them. Silver didn't get to live to his potential. He had a major playable role in a game that just stunk in general, and a two part series that proved to be lackluster.

Though some of the "Sonic-centric" games that only had Sonic as a playable character were good, like Sonic Colors and Sonic 4: Episode 1. I want the Sonic games in the future to think of good uses for their cast.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
What I look for in a good Sonic game is a game that has solid gameplay, good mechanics, a good camera, little to no glitches, has enough content and most importantly, be fun.

Sonic threads should be banned. For it seems that nobody can say anything about the damn blue Hedgehog without a shitstorm brewing up.

Chris

Old Coot
ISilver didn't get to live to his potential. He had a major playable role in a game that just stunk in general, and a two part series that proved to be lackluster.
The problem here is that the cast is already too large, with there already being far too many hedgehogs as is. Nevermind the fact that Silver also got slapped with the "everyone is colorblind" gag where no one can seem to tell the difference between a blue hedgehog and differently colored ones.

Shadow alone was pushing the limit, as things were fine enough with Sonic, Amy and Metal Sonic.

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Thank you for proving my point. Mario avoided changing the plot and remains to be a good series. Sonic focuses on plot, the quality takes a nose dive. When it backed off from it so that it no longer took itself seriously, the quality rose up.

Proof enough that Sonic only works best when the story is simplistic, works within its own world and doesn't take itself seriously.

Wrong. The Sonic series has proven that it should either have a good storyline like the one from the Sonic Adventure series OR have pretty much no plot at all, however in order to do the latter it would need good enough gameplay, and unlike Mario, Sonic has never come out with the same quality in a platformer.

Furthermore, whilst I agree that platformers generally work well without a storyline, there are exceptions to every rule, and Sonic Adventure 2 showed how awesome Sonic games can be if you implement a good storyline with good gameplay.

The whole arabian nights, knights, werehog and many other terrible plots in Sonic games show that awful plots can not only make a game bad, but when certain parts of that story are implemented, even the gameplay can be affected (e.g. the werehog being playable).

The storyline can boost how good a game is, and it's one of the factors (one of them) in making Sonic Adventure 2 my favourite 3D Sonic game.

This thread has made it more clear that members and even mods on these forums can't accept the views of one another, and even on a thread which is CLEARLY about what YOU look for in a Sonic game, people take the time out to try and make digs at other people's views, even though the entire debate is not one which can be proven either way because it's all subjective.

Even after the FIRST post, deoxysxx (one of the only people to answer the thread question properly) was challenged on his opinion.

It's things like this that ruin threads and cause pointless debates in which two people are trying to push their opinions on each other.

This thread has made it more clear that members and even mods on these forums can't accept the views of one another, and even on a thread which is CLEARLY about what YOU look for in a Sonic game, people take the time out to try and make digs at other people's views, even though the entire debate is not one which can be proven either way because it's all subjective.
Exactly, how dare anyone have a dissenting opinion? Besides, if you didn't see this sort of thing coming a mile away when you made the thread, you're either clueless or haven't ever frequented a sonic thread in the past.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Silver shoulda got killed off in the recent title for the hell of it.
But then they would have just revived him with the dragon ba- Chaos Emeralds. Also yes a good story is all fine and dandy. But it doesn't seem to be a requirement for a good game in sonic's case. I have a feeling if they didn't put so much work into the story section of certain games they might have come out way better.
All the SA series proved is Sonic can have a decent story. However you could have tossed the majority of the story aside and still had fun playing the levels. It really is not a requirement.
I don't think even they want to throw away something that probably cost them thousands of dollars to make, just to throw it away after only two games. Don't you think they want to save money?
You'd think that but Sega loves chucking out newly made engines rather easily while not taking the time to improve them.

Last edited:

CAH

Calm And Hyper
Exactly, how dare anyone have a dissenting opinion? Besides, if you didn't see this sort of thing coming a mile away when you made the thread, you're either clueless or haven't ever frequented a sonic thread in the past.

Yeah, what did I expect from a bunch of sonic fanboys on Serebii forums.

It's been a while since I've discussed Sonic on a thread, so I guess I forgot how offended they can get by any opinion that conflicts their own.

Ceol

Rocketeer Master
For me, its gotta be the music track. I gotta be able to free run to it.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Yeah, what did I expect from a bunch of sonic fanboys on Serebii forums.

It's been a while since I've discussed Sonic on a thread, so I guess I forgot how offended they can get by any opinion that conflicts their own.
Why would you post on a message board if you don't want to be argued with? Regardless this will happen so I guess you should just ignore it.

Buizelster

The usuage of firearms are by no means anything close to what are the biggest problems with shadow the hedgehog.

Because it's not true.

Well since several people on here want to get personal and say what they're really feeling....

YES IT IS because it's the only thing I've EVER seen people *****ing about when it comes to that game. I don't NEED to generalize or assume that hard because you people throw temper tantrums over EVERY LITTLE THING they decide to spice up the gameplay with.

You know what? I LIKED every game past SA2. I think they're good games, but apparently that makes me a bad fan just because I'm not some whiny loser that nerd rages over how a video game company handles their license.

Maybe the REAL problem with sonic games is that people need to stop acting like a bunch of crying *****es and shut the **** up.

Status
Not open for further replies.