• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you look for in SUs?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Basically what makes you think an SU thread is good to you. Is it the plot, the franchise the RP is based after, or how the thread is formatted in general? Share yours thoughts here! (Just follow all SPPf rules and such).

For me, I like when SU's are readable as I cannot stand colored fonts with a passion. I also try to see if the plot is likable enough and if it's something that people will be devoted to it for at least a little while.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
The main things are:

Do I like the plot?
Do I have a character I can use for this?/Am I inspired enough by the setting to make a new one?
Are the RP's mechanics easy to understand?/Do I even like the RP's mechanics?
Who else is joining?

Tangeh

For me, the most important thing is the setting / plot. I don't join RPs on franchises I am unfamiliar with, nor plots / settings that are complicated and go over my head.

The only other make-or-break criteria for me is the quality of the SU thread in general. Not generally a problem here, as most of us RP on a fairly high level.

If I'd had bad experiences with a GM in the past or with people who have joined I likely would not join, though I'm willing to give second chances if I'm interested in the plot enough.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Setting/Franchise- If the setting is original (not related to a specific franchise) and whether or not it is able to coherently present the rules or established laws of this world. If it is part of a preexisting franchise, it'd have to be one I know.

Plot- Is it interesting? Does it have a specific goal in mind? The latter is especially important since (no offense to anyone) RPs tend to die about as quickly as they pop up around here, with exceptions, of course. If it's completely open ended, people just wander around aimlessly until interest fades or people deviate so far away from the plot that it's not what it originally was anymore. That set goal to keep working towards definitely helps move the plot along.

RP mechanics- Is it too ambitious? Too simple? So long as it's reasonably easy to gain the information I need to interact with the story as it is intended to be, I can handle more complex mechanics.

Grammar helps too XD

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
On the subject of franchises, I join RPs based on franchises I'm not familiar with all the time. Which is funny, because I didn't start out that way. It's a good thing this site pretty much makes it a rule that you have to explain your RPs world well if it's based on a franchise other than Pokemon. xD