• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you NOT want to see in HG/SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i kno this might come off as weird, but i dont want them to make pokemon following you manditory, then the pokemon following you announcement came out i was greatly displeased i want it to have more of the classic feel, oh and no contests, honey trees, or that multiple rival thing that annoyed me
Soul and your rival will both be in.

I don't see why people have such a problem with contests. Yeah, the 4th generation's contests suck, but they're 100% optional. @_@

Sarracenia

Pokémagpie Zog
People need to stop being 'purists'.

To be perfectly honest, G/S were overrated. No variation in pokémon other than IVs, Johto's finished with quickly, the towns feel empty and the buildings look awful, and the whole thing is too easy. The battling isn't very fun because it's overwhelmingly stally and Skarmbliss is nigh on uncounterable. A ton of pokémon such as Pinsir and even new ones like Espeon are also pointless to use because they're entirely outclassed by something else. Kanto was also rubbish, with basically nothing to do and most features of old games have been cut out. The legendaries also have no backstory at all, being just tough pokémon that you find sat in a cave if you happen to stumble across them.

In short, they were by no means the best generation of Pokémon. Obviously I'm missing out the positives (of which there are still many), but those are some of the negatives. I for one wouldn't want a direct remake of those games. For Pokémon to improve, it needs to advance. Therefore for HG/SS to be good, it needs to build on Platinum just as much as G/S. The main reason FR/LG sucked in comparison to Emerald (the Kanto story and stuff was lovely though) was because it had zero replayability and challenge while Emerald had the battle frontier.

Oh and for the record my opinion on which generations were best is 4>3>1>2 and I've been playing since the start. And another thing people need to stop doing is saying they don't want optional content: you don't have to do it so don't do it; leave it for those who like it.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
People need to stop being 'purists'.

To be perfectly honest, G/S were overrated. No variation in pokémon other than IVs, Johto's finished with quickly, the towns feel empty and the buildings look awful, and the whole thing is too easy. The battling isn't very fun because it's overwhelmingly stally and Skarmbliss is nigh on uncounterable. A ton of pokémon such as Pinsir and even new ones like Espeon are also pointless to use because they're entirely outclassed by something else. Kanto was also rubbish, with basically nothing to do and most features of old games have been cut out. The legendaries also have no backstory at all, being just tough pokémon that you find sat in a cave if you happen to stumble across them.

In short, they were by no means the best generation of Pokémon. Obviously I'm missing out most of the positives, but those are some of the negatives. I for one wouldn't want a direct remake of those games. For Pokémon to improve, it needs to advance. Therefore for HG/SS to be good, it needs to build on Platinum just as much as G/S. Oh and for the record my opinion on which generations were best is 4>3>1>2 and I've been playing since the start. And another thing people need to stop doing is saying they don't want optional content: you don't have to do it so don't do it; leave it for those who like it.

And that is one opinion. Although even those 'purists' (I include myself in that) will agree with you on the length and it's something I certainly want to be changed. But for variation your comparing them to now, obviously it was a lot different then. You can't use there being no variation because there was only IVs as a negative. Since it's something that's going to be changed for sure, and competitive battling is completely different now.

Most of what you said was compared to what we have now and is going to be changed anyway, and aren't really things people are not wanting. I don't think anyone doesn't want natures.

Shinx_the_Sphinx

Staravia Trainer
Soul and your rival will both be in.

I don't see why people have such a problem with contests. Yeah, the 4th generation's contests suck, but they're 100% optional. @_@

Yes! They are 5000% optional! They aren't there if you don't want them to be there!

And I don't understand why people don't Pokemon following them. It isn't like its completely game-changing. IMO it's how Pokemon always should have been!

eeveerose

I don't want to see things like DP pokemon hanging around everywhere...
I guess you can call me a purist...
It could get a little harder, in levels and such. But not longer, thats how pokemon games should be. long gets boring after a while. Pokemon games should be short and somewhat challenging.
I loved gold and silver, so I hope they don't change much at all.. :<

maxelle

Shadow Stalker
They need to be longer. They need to be more drawn out. It was too quick and boring. It should be fleshed out and rewarding in the end,

Jolesy

Sparky Jolteons(:
I like the Pokemon following you. Brings more of the feel of being able to interact with our pokemon and our favourites.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
They should give the Legendaries more of a story than just "there was a tower thant burned down and made two big birdies fly away." Storyless legendaries should not be in the games.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
I agree with Sarracenia in saying that the purists should be ignored and changes SHOULD be made where neccessary even if it contradicts the original games. The 2nd Generation was my favourite, but that was purely for nostalgia reasons, and with these new games they're going to need to convince me that this is worth buying because I already have the originals on emulation.

Luckily it doesn't look to disappoint. There are hundreds of aesthetic changes, things like menu navigation have been refined even further, we're getting never seen before features (follower Pokémon, etc.), a fair few new areas, probably revised gym rosters, livelier, bigger cities, and much more. Hell, we even get a second rival (Soul), the return of Eusine, the Pokéwalker, and completely revamped gym layouts ala Platinum.

Compared to FireRed and LeafGreen, they're really upping the ante in terms of new content here. It looks like the perfect mix of nostalgia and new content.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
I guess HERLS is right, but they could make too many changes. I hope you can still see that its still gold and silver.

It'll definately still be Gold and Silver. Sure, there are LOTS of new features and Crystal features, but the main story will still be fundamentally the same as Gold and Silver, the characters remain, and despite heavy graphical overhaul, Johto looks more nostslgic than ever, with the towns actually matching up with the town motto's and BGM's that they represent. It's like Gold and Silver, brought up to 4th gen standards, on steroids.

Jolesy

Sparky Jolteons(:
I think everything they are doing is good. The only thing I hope to get is the egg sprites and higher levels. I don't see the bad side of fourth generation in this gae as long as thye keep the core the same. Do you really want to play D/P/PT and then get this new game and it have same old graphics and none of the good stuff from the fourth generation?

THere's always room to improve

Rurik

Lucario Legionnaire
i dont want to see my quilava getting own by that damn miltanks rollout. i had silver last time so ill chosse HG just hopeing u can get a mankey for that ocassion.

Then don't send your Quilava against it, I'm pretty sure you can get a Machop by that point.

Shinx_the_Sphinx

Staravia Trainer
It'll definately still be Gold and Silver. Sure, there are LOTS of new features and Crystal features, but the main story will still be fundamentally the same as Gold and Silver, the characters remain, and despite heavy graphical overhaul, Johto looks more nostslgic than ever, with the towns actually matching up with the town motto's and BGM's that they represent. It's like Gold and Silver, brought up to 4th gen standards, on steroids.

I really couldn't care less what they are changing. They are doing it for the better and to make us happy. This is not a game for you crazy nazi-nostalgiamaniacs. As long as its an adventure in Johto slap Gold and Silver in the name and give us the game!

Hypershell

Dragon's Best Friend
What do I NOT want to see?

Ban lists. They ruin every post-storyline challenge in every portable title. What is the point of including Level 70 legends if a Level 60 Elite Four Pokemon is the strongest thing that'll ever faint at their hands? Let tournament organizers worry about what constitutes fair play, a single-player fight against the computer has no business forcing such restrictions. Every console title proves that legendary ban-lists are pointless, they produce a good challenge both with and without said legends. Even PBR, weak an entry as it is, is no exception.

Clank

Insert Title Here
I dont want to see red gyarados in wifi, so maybe they could make it not tradable? just a thought.

i really liked kanto so that should stay and being able to get both lugia and ho-oh but maybe they might end up like the red gyarados in wifi?

Offtopic:
Wouldnt it be cool if they made a game like the anime series, like u go through johto then kanto then hoenn and then sinnoh? and like how ash leaves some of his pokemon when he goes to a new place so maybe a game like that. and if u travel back to say johto u can use the pokemon that u left? just a thought.

eeveerose

Double post..
you make a good point, though.
Everyone will have their 4th gen hands with wifi capabilities on rare pokemon.
They should keep them off the GTS, but make them tradeable.

ALSO, I don't want to see a Celebi event you have to go anywhere for. It should be built into the game. Celebi should be in the game, being 2nd gen, right?

Jolesy

Sparky Jolteons(:
Yea people will be trying to get actual good pokemon by trading putting that up. It will get annoying after a while, having to search through that to find something you want or neeed.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I agree with Sarracenia 100%. GSC IS overrated, people are being babies if they see what the don't like (EG Kris's Replacement instantly is the work of the devil) and people wanting no optional things/things that weren't in GSC (Pokeradar and Contests among all things)

People need to grow up.

Last edited:
I dont want to see red gyarados in wifi, so maybe they could make it not tradable? just a thought.

i really liked kanto so that should stay and being able to get both lugia and ho-oh but maybe they might end up like the red gyarados in wifi?

Offtopic:
Wouldnt it be cool if they made a game like the anime series, like u go through johto then kanto then hoenn and then sinnoh? and like how ash leaves some of his pokemon when he goes to a new place so maybe a game like that. and if u travel back to say johto u can use the pokemon that u left? just a thought.
The Red Gyarados will be on WiFi, there is no way to go around it. It is simply a regular Gyarados, only shiny. Nintendo could care less, if Shaymin and Darkrai, and five million other bad trades are on the GTS, they won't make an exception.

And no. Both Lugia and HoOh are in each game, and they will not be taken off the GTS.

Double post..
you make a good point, though.
Everyone will have their 4th gen hands with wifi capabilities on rare pokemon.
They should keep them off the GTS, but make them tradeable.

ALSO, I don't want to see a Celebi event you have to go anywhere for. It should be built into the game. Celebi should be in the game, being 2nd gen, right?
No, shut up about the GTS. It's not happening.

Celebi will be an event. My guess? They'll release an event one next summer with the new movie, and then a few months later in Japan they'll release the GS Ball via WiFi, and you can take it to the Ilex Shrine.

Yea people will be trying to get actual good pokemon by trading putting that up. It will get annoying after a while, having to search through that to find something you want or neeed.
You already have to do that, searching for Pokemon on the GTS is an incredibly annoying and pointless task.

I agree with Sarracenia 100%. GSC IS ovverated, people are being babies if they see what the don't like (EG Kris's Replacement instantly is the work of the devil) and people wanting no optional things/things that weren't in GSC (Pokeradar and Contests among all things)

People need to grow up.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.