• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

DiaRubyTandem

The Fastest Comeback
I always say "I dont give a ****, mind your own business"

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Usually I just simply laugh and enquire why they care about what I do with my free time. Sometimes I also point out that it's better than being on drugs, or having an addiction towards alcohol or sex. Then I go back to reading or playing some more Pokemon. Really, it's our free time. We can do with it as we choose. I also firmly believe you are never "too old" to do something you love.
~RaichuArcanine~

wanderist

Someone
That actually doesn't seem to happen around here, surprisingly. Around here its pretty much cool to like Pokemon at my age, either that or people just don't care.

Of course, if someone did say it, I would probably just shrug them off, tell them I like it because I like it, and leave it at that.

I'm so glad in NYC the stigma of being too old for Pokemon is very low. You see business men and old ladies playing "Candy Crush" on their iPhones. And playing Pokemon while intoxicated enhances the experience. Don't even get me started on Nintendo World~ :)

Doujins

Professional Doofus
They said I was too old to play Pokemon. I said they were too old to live.

Whisking

"Oh really? What will I do with my 3DS then? Oh, I know. Why don't you turn around...now bend over......"

Yeah. I'm 24 and have gotten plenty of hate for it. Apparently Pokémon is for kids 5 - 11 and once you get older you should grow out of it. Kind of annoying really, but I don't really care.

Viviaren

Smug Snek
I usually just shrug and tell them to ‘get over it, it’s not hurting anyone’. If it’s someone I really dislike that is saying I shouldn't like Pokemon I usually tell them to ‘F*** off’

Ascended Dialga

I tell them that you can never be too old for Pokemon, or that it's none of their business

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I'm 32. I would, if that were to ever happen, tell them that by some people's standards, I was too old for Pokemon when it first came out so why stop now?

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
This happened to me one my region's local transit back in 2011.

This guy asked me what I was playing. I said "Pokemon Black."

He started cursing me and the entire Pokemon franchise out, and said some stupid crap like "Call of Duty is the best game ever."

I called him a jackass, and told him that it takes a real man to play Pokemon at my age.

Nakashima

Being a pregnant married woman, I get this one a lot lately.
Honestly, its just my hobby. Why would my hobby be any more "childish" than my friend who liked to read books? In the end, were both sitting on the couch, engulfed into another world for a little while. Hers through words, mine through images. The mere notion that theres any sort of significant difference between the two, is just a load of crap, really.

TheFlygon

Oh I give them some of the manga and tell them to read it normally, I don't normally say much to them, sometimes I just agree so I can get them off my case. Or sometimes I say ' Soo...you think monsters that are capable of killing a normal person is not in my age category '

Master Calem

Time traveler fool
As if. I feel bad for them and say:''I'll still be young and be playing pokemon after your death, geezer''... then they get creeped out:(

It doesn't really happen anymore, but when it does, I usually just don't bother responding, or just say something like "Whatever." and move on.

I think it's just better that way. Who cares what others think? If I like it, I like it. Simple as that. So, it's a kinda childish, but so are certain other things people do and say. No matter how old you get, you'll be doing something childish. I play games like Pokemon among other things. Nothing wrong with that at all. If you look down on someone for playing a children's game, you're just being a child yourself.