• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

This has never happened to me really, and if it ever did, I would probably say "Well then F*** you! This is none of your business. Just leave me the F*** alone." Though there's a couple funny ones here that I would just have to use. Though there's one I have in my head that would be pretty funny.
"[Inset Name Here] Vs. A-Hole"
"A-Hole used insult!"
"It failed!"
"[Insert Name Here] used Doesn't give a flying F***"
"It was Super Effective! One Hit KO!"
"A-Hole blacked out and rushed to basement to heal wounded insecurities."

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
All of you who say screw you or mind your own business, even though I appreciate you guys defending yourselves, by saying stuff like that you aren't really proving them wrong.

If you really wanna show them, the best thing to do is explain to them how complicated Pokémon battles actually are.

That is the adult aspect of the Pokémon games. The Pokémon battles are very complicated, and not every kid can figure it all out.

Sure, the basics might be easy to understand, but being great at Pokémon battles is an extremely difficult task.

When somebody says that Pokémon is just a kids game I use that argument to rebuttal them.

And trust me guys, this works much better than "Mind your own business" or "screw you".

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
I'm not hating on anyone, but as I said before I don't tend to get angry over it. As Naka said, it's my hobby. I've also gotten hate for liking reading for years, but that never stopped me. I love my books and my pokemon games. It's my free time, and I'm not hurting anyone by doing what I like with it. And as others have said, picking on someone for what they do with their free time is indeed childish. We're all different. And no one should put someone else down for playing a video game that doesn't hurt anyone and makes them happy. I actually don't get hate for it now except from my younger brother and sister. When I had to introduce myself in my Copyright class in college I included that I like Pokemon. Although, sometimes I miss the old days were how I beat the elite four more than 100 times on my old Diamond file in year 5 was amazing to the other kids in my class haha. But yeah, if it doesn't hurt anyone, and you love it, why give it up? Other people have hobbies that are far more destructive.
~RaichuArcanine~

Lori

I usually just shrug and say "You're only as old as you feel" or "We all have a kid inside, I just spoil mine." Honestly, my employees are mostly fresh out of highschool or in college and they think I'm awesome for being the nerd I am. It makes me the fun boss.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would say, 'No one cares. It still appeals to me.'

Britters

Dobby's Sock
It's a generational thing honestly. I occasionally see 20-somethings at my college playing pokemon, and I used to see kids at my high school playing it. The 30/40-somethings of today didn't have pokemon in their childhood, so they don't understand.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
My college graduation ceremony is tomorrow, and guess what?

I still play Pokémon! :D

Age matters not. If you enjoy the game, play it.

Jemslie123

Mentally Unstable
How about "yes, I probably am. I'm probably also too old for Disney cartoons and Ice lollies. But who cares? You like what you like."

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Well, an adult liking Pokémon is normal, due to the fact that this thread gets so many replies proves it.

But I have a confession to make, you guys are probably gonna think it's weird but here goes. I'm an adult and am in my 20s and I love Dora the Explorer, that's right I said it. And I'm not saying this for attention, I genuinely do.

To make sure this post isn't 100% off topic, I will give another answer different from ones I already gave. I have often said "I'm a manchild and proud of it", I wouldn't use that argument about the games, the fact that not all kids can get into competitive is the argument I'd use. But I would probably say that to defend the fact that I like watching the Pokémon anime.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
I just usually laugh and not say anything. Anyone who says that to me is clearly not the worth the time of day, if you ask me.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I've been told this so many times. Mostly by my brother but when I was in high school, some kids used to tell me the exact same thing.

Usually when someone tells me that, I would usually say, "I'm allowed to like whatever I want to like and if I like Pokemon, does it matter to you? You have absolutely no right to telling me what I can or can't do in my free time so sit down and shut up."

Ketaru

Well, an adult liking Pokémon is normal, due to the fact that this thread gets so many replies proves it.

But I have a confession to make, you guys are probably gonna think it's weird but here goes. I'm an adult and am in my 20s and I love Dora the Explorer, that's right I said it. And I'm not saying this for attention, I genuinely do.

To make sure this post isn't 100% off topic, I will give another answer different from ones I already gave. I have often said "I'm a manchild and proud of it", I wouldn't use that argument about the games, the fact that not all kids can get into competitive is the argument I'd use. But I would probably say that to defend the fact that I like watching the Pokémon anime.

If I were confronted with such an adult, I would definitely think it is unusual, with a quick "Not judging!" But really, if you were to demand for a qualifier of what is "for adults" and what is "childish," I think most qualifiers wouldn't stand up to scrutiny. What makes it Ok for adults to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender, but not Dora the Explorer?

Hell, a sizable portion of the population watches the Transformer movies. And no amount of cleavage, genital jokes, or Bayplosions will change the fact they are Hasbro toys. And mindlessly dumb.

Thepokehustler

PokeHustler
I tell them the truth. Since Pokemon was first released it was the kids playing it because that is the target audience but the original kids who played have gotten older and a lot still play so its no surprise not only kids play today and as time goes on because of this their will be more and more older people playing Pokemon.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I just thought of a great comeback, what do you guys think?

"I might be, but I'm also far too young for Call of Duty."

Yeah I'd like other members of the community tell me what they think of this comeback.

I just thought of a great comeback, what do you guys think?

"I might be, but I'm also far too old for Call of Duty."

Yeah I'd like other members of the community tell me what they think of this comeback.

Fixed it :p

Most of 'those people' in my area buy FIFA, which is a 3+ or 7+ where I'm from if I remember right. I simply retort with the fact they're playing a game with the same/a younger age rating than Pokemon.

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
I'd like to think only around High School is when the majority of my generation though lowly of Pokemon since that era of your life is buidling a good image and caring about other people's opinions. I played it immensely of course, but I attended a private school and I wouldn't bring my games on campus in order to honestly avoid this question and only a lil bit of me realized I needed to focus on school. I am quite ashamed I hid it, I do wish I was open about it because its now a part of who I am. Once College hit, I believe the high school idea of keeping a perfect image of yourself goes away because you meet people in a relaxed non-judgemental environment and make your own friend group. I am now open about my love for Pokemon, Heck I was the president of my fraternity and everyone would know after our meeting I'd be leveling up my Pokemon team but they still accepted me for who I am now.